Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] BT Openreach scam

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Just a heads up guys

Scammers are calling claiming to be from BT Operreach. They claim to be trying to improve your internet speed. If you fall for this, they want you to allow them to take control of your PC/Laptop.

While they are busy checking your PC, they are also busy stealing your bank account details.

Beware, I have had 3 calls in 2 days.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
Just a heads up guys

Scammers are calling claiming to be from BT Operreach. They claim to be trying to improve your internet speed. If you fall for this, they want you to allow them to take control of your PC/Laptop.

While they are busy checking your PC, they are also busy stealing your bank account details.

I work in the phone / internet industry and this scam has been going on for 2 years or so. Almost exclusively the call will come from a foreign sounding caller. Caller ID, if you have it, will show a UK number. Calling that number will result in no connection as it does not actually exist.

If you do want to know how fast you internet can go (excluding Virgin media) then punch your details into https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As a general rule, no company or bank will ever ring you about anything, ever.

Although my bank did ring me to follow up a complaint I sent them and then got ever so indignant when I refused to answer their security questions because I had no means of knowing they were who they said they were.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Get these calls frequently, Yorkshire accents or from the Indian subcontinent.

I go for the aggressive response (after working out they're liars), to a long-winded goose chase to waste their time.

With one I replied straight away with: "Let's cut the crap, please can I have your bank details so that I can transfer all my savings into it".

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not another one, only last week I gave my bank details to my newly found friend who is a very important Prince in Nigeria.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Just a heads up guys

You're not on the list of susceptible or gullible are you ?

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
No, I guessed straight away and played along to see what they would ask me. I expected them to want some inappropriate details, but was surprised when they had the brass neck to ask for control of the laptop.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Although my bank did ring me to follow up a complaint I sent them and then got ever so indignant when I refused to answer their security questions because I had no means of knowing they were who they said they were.

Haha, yes I do that. If my bank or CC company ring me and ask for security details I say I cant tell you my bank told me not to tell anyone.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
One scam I'm not sure many people know about are the gumtree/facebook marketplace ones.

People offer to buy the thing you're selling at the full price. Then delay, then make excuses about their paypal or some nonsense and it ends with them asking you to transfer cash to THEM via Western Union.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I got a text from BT yesterday saying that before they could go ahead with my superfast fibre broadband upgrade they needed to know what hub I had. Although we use BT the mobile number is not a known contact number for BT. I am also already on superfast broadband which the real BT would know.

I had a medical research company contact me today as well, wanting me to take part in some research they are doing into IT technology in the medical field (my last job was in that area) and offering me £100 for a hour of my time. My immediate thought was it was a scam but it looks legit.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
SAINSBURY'S CAR PARK SCAM - BEWARE !

Please BE WARNED !
Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping.

Simply dropping into Sainsbury's supermarket for a bit of shopping turned out to be quite an experience !
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends !
Here's how the scam works:

Two very good-looking 20-21 year-old girls of eastern European origin come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot.
They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts !
When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead they ask you for a lift to another supermarket, in my case, Tesco. You agree and they both get in the back seat.

On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked.
Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet !

I had my wallet stolen on October 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th and 29th.
Also on November 1st, 4th, 6th, 9th and 10th and twice yesterday !
So please warn all the older men you know to be on the lookout for this scam.
The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4:30 in the afternoon.

P.S. Aldi have cheap wallets on sale for £1.99 each but Lidl wallets are £1.75 and look much better !!

Happy Shopping ! ;-)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm finding they are calling at 07.15 in the morning now as we are more likely to answer the phone when half awake

If I don’t have the number in my contacts I just don’t answer. If it’s important they’ll leave a voicemail. Pretty well all scam calls seem to come to my mobile but I have started using a landline phone that makes the caller, who is not in my contacts, say who they are before I answer the phone. Haven’t had a single scam call since I got it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
SAINSBURY'S CAR PARK SCAM - BEWARE !

Please BE WARNED !
Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping.

Simply dropping into Sainsbury's supermarket for a bit of shopping turned out to be quite an experience !
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends !
Here's how the scam works:

Two very good-looking 20-21 year-old girls of eastern European origin come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot.
They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts !
When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead they ask you for a lift to another supermarket, in my case, Tesco. You agree and they both get in the back seat.

On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked.
Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet !

I had my wallet stolen on October 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th and 29th.
Also on November 1st, 4th, 6th, 9th and 10th and twice yesterday !
So please warn all the older men you know to be on the lookout for this scam.
The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4:30 in the afternoon.

P.S. Aldi have cheap wallets on sale for £1.99 each but Lidl wallets are £1.75 and look much better !!

Happy Shopping ! ;-)

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
One scam I'm not sure many people know about are the gumtree/facebook marketplace ones.

People offer to buy the thing you're selling at the full price. Then delay, then make excuses about their paypal or some nonsense and it ends with them asking you to transfer cash to THEM via Western Union.

Don't get this one - if you are selling something why would you ever be likely to pay money to the buyer?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't get this one - if you are selling something why would you ever be likely to pay money to the buyer?

Its a bit like some online bookies, if you haven't used them for a while and want to withdraw you sometimes have to make a deposit in order to then make a withdrawal as it confirms the account to send funds to. They try use the same principal on the basis that they cannot send money unless the account is logged in the bank, so they want you to send them money to create the link for them to send that back with the payment, which of course never happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here