Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Since our England hero rocked up a year ago to take us to the 'next level' most of us thought it would be upwards but it seems it is in fact downwards. We were doing ok under Hughton then all of a sudden we couldn't buy a win or a goal and survived by the skin of our teeth.

Hughton goes and Potter comes in and after a few glimpses of something different we are no better than where we were under Hughton, you could say we were in a better place before Ashworth started here.

Recruitment is still abysmal , money is spunked away hand over fist on players who don't get a sniff of a first team place and the tactics with this new attacking coach is pass the ball umpteen times at the back before making a mistake, giving the ball away and conceding.

So what has Dan Ashworth actually brought to the club that wasn't here before him or has improved under him ???

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I like Dan Ashworth’s vision for expansive football and promoting youth. It’s exciting.
The downfall has been trying to achieve too much too soon without properly recruiting.
It’s like there’s an element at the club that sees premier league survival (as achieved by hughton) as a given.
It smacks of arrogance and naivety, and will likely cost us our place at the top table.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I like Dan Ashworth’s vision for expansive football and promoting youth. It’s exciting.
The downfall has been trying to achieve too much too soon without properly recruiting.
There’s an element at the club that acts like premier league survival (achieved by hughton) is a given.
It smacks of arrogance and naivety, and will Linley cost us our place at the top table.

Who is this 'Linley' and what has he done that will be so disastrous?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ashworth talks a good game. But as with England, only as good as the players coming through the system. Which they doubtless would have done anyway, seeing as how most of them will have been scouted since the age of about six

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I seem to remember at one point he said that his job (or part of it) was 'to keep the manager in his job', or words to that effect.

Hmmm ........... his Annual Performance Review could be interesting! I wonder what other objectives may or may not have been met?

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t know much about him, but given his job is to oversee the transition from youth team to first team, we’re not really going to know if he’s any good at it for a good few years

Also I understand he I in charge of recruitment. Well, it’s possible that him (and the recruitment team) are just not picking appropriate players for us to sign, or it could be that TB simply isn’t prepared to sign the cheques, (understandably, it’s his money and he has spent a lot of it). From the outside looking in, I would say it is impossible to tell if he is doing well or not.

el punal

Rome wasn’t built in a day, nor is our football team. I think I trust Tony Bloom on this one, rather than a frustrated fan’s opinion. Tony’s commitment is obvious and is a long term strategy. Admittedly there will be setbacks along the way and they will be overcome.
Despite last night’s frustration I still feel positive about the future. A case of us fans just being patient I reckon.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
One of those expensive roles that look innovative and genius if successful, yet a load of hogwash and soundbites if it all goes tits up.

An anxious few months for the bods at the top.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don't think Ashworth is the problem. I was a big fan of Hughton, and bitterly disappointed we let him go, but the club set down a marker in terms of what they want to achieve and where they want to be. Ashworth is a big part of that, in terms of creating a playing identity that will run from top to bottom through the academy and into the first team. That's not an overnight job, it takes time, years in fact and given that timescale there will be set backs, before we can fully achieve that ambition. From a current first team perspective the last couple of results are disappointing but its not the time to ditch the plan, we have to keep the faith in that the long term goals will bear fruit. Being a stable mid table Premier League club is a hard thing to achieve, people who think we can just go and buy a 20 goal a season striker to solve the problem are deluding themselves. Every club in the premier league is fighting with every other club over the same players, along with host of other top clubs from Europe. There is no easy fix, there is no simple solution, if you want to grow the club then you need to look long term/big picture and the only way to do that is put a plan in a place and get behind it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It’s like there’s an element at the club that sees premier league survival (as achieved by hughton) as a given.
It smacks of arrogance and naivety, and will likely cost us our place at the top table.

It's what l've said all along, let's try and establish ourselves in this division by whatever means it takes for a few seasons, before we get ahead of ourselves and try to pa\ss the ball as if we were Manchester City or Liverpool.

If that means playing the game 'Hughtonesque' and in a densive manner for a while, then so be it I say. It's all very well trying to play open attacking football, but if it leads to instant relegation what's the point? Staying in the Premier League, (by whatever means), is an absolute muist.

Tony Bloom took a gamble on appointing Potter, maybe it's one that won't come off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here