Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree about this season, but a vision is likley to be a 5 year/10 year plan, not one season to the next

The problem with football, unless you have the new found riches of say Wolves and Leicester, is that most clubs must also simultaneously look at very short term, to avoid relegation.

A drop of £55m of income in Championship season 1, with the loss of Dunk and Mooy, would be hard to recover from. Would Propper and Maupay want to play a dogfight of 46 matches, when there are fatter wages to be had elsewhere?

Years 2 to 5 of the 5 Year Plan would face serious constraints. Not forgetting EFL FFP and that the Albion’s high cost base seems to churn out £20m accounting losses with regularity.

If we sign no new players this month and let a couple of experienced pro’s go, TB and Ashworth with their inside knowledge, must be very highly confident that Potter’s on the verge of giving us a series of vital wins.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The problem with football, unless you have the new found riches of say Wolves and Leicester, is that most clubs must also simultaneously look at very short term, to avoid relegation.

A drop of £55m of income in Championship season 1, with the loss of Dunk and Mooy, would be hard to recover from. Would Propper and Maupay want to play a dogfight of 46 matches, when there are fatter wages to be had elsewhere?

Years 2 to 5 of the 5 Year Plan would face serious constraints. Not forgetting EFL FFP and that the Albion’s high cost base seems to churn out £20m accounting losses with regularity.

If we sign no new players this month and let a couple of experienced pro’s go, TB and Ashworth with their inside knowledge, must be very highly confident that Potter’s on the verge of giving us a series of vital wins.

Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have a theory that the Premier league and other club owners put pressure on Tony bloom as to the style of play acceptable in the league, a comment by Paul barber "We are in the entertainment industry" and the Premier league entertaining billions across the world with clubs seeing the financial rewards its important to maintain a 87th high level of excitement, short term defensive and boring football might be acceptable for the Premier league in the short term out of nessesity for some clubs, but Houghtons style was damaging long term!

When are they going to have a word with Burnley? *

*I have no issues with how anyone plays to stay up.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Short term West Ham look the worst off, hellish fixtures coming up .... Everton have a world class manager and decent players and will be fine, Watford's spine is presently better than ours imho, Dawson is better than Webster and not inferior to Dunk, Doucoure is better than either propper or Stephens, duelofeu is better than Trossard and Deeney is better than Maupay. Forget the top 10, we just need to get to May with 3 below us.
Craig Dawson as good as Lewis Dunk?! I'll have some of what you're smoking.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ashworth sees his job as keeping the manager in his job doesn’t he? Skating on thin ice now.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Anyone on here know Danny from his student days? PE degree at the Eastbourne campus of what is now UoB... apparently he was a bit of a character back in the day and has undergone something of a reinvention.

On a serious note it is remarkable how far a reasonable level of intelligence/education and a decent understanding of sport coaching can take someone in professional football. The low-hanging fruit in terms of effective organisation has until recently often been subterranean. Former PE teachers are present at several clubs in various roles. (David Burke was another one.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here