Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League v Championship?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To me, being in a relegation battle is just as thrilling as battling for promotion.

It's only being in mid table somewhere which is dull, though I don't remember the last time that happened to us.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Enjoyed our championship years but in no rush to go back. Hopefully current run will end after the upcoming break and all will be well. Keep the faith.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Peak Albion was when we got promoted. I can’t see how it could improve. We could have another cup run I suppose but that promotion season won’t be beaten IMHO.

What about 79-83 i would put that at a higher level as it was the first time we reached the top division, or does pre PL history no longer count.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What about 79-83 i would put that at a higher level as it was the first time we reached the top division, or does pre PL history no longer count.

Indeed. Having experienced that, Newcastle away in 1979 is still peak Albion for me.

I thought I wouldn’t enjoy the Premier League as much as I have, to be honest. I’ve seen some terrible performances, don’t get me wrong, but in perspective we’re being treated to some great stuff from our boys, too.

If and when relegation comes, I just hope it’s not as traumatic as last time.....

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wanting to go back to the Championship.

I think about that in the same way as wanting to get back with my ex.

Yes there is one massive glaring advantage, but it’s not worth to the harm to my sanity or financial health.

Much better off where I am now

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Of course it has to be the aim to play at the top level as long as possible to keep hold of our best players, keep the crowds coming and maintain a sustainable club...

But the Championship is just more enjoyable, to me at least.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As much as I prefer the cut and thrust of the Championship the objective is to get promoted to the shit league that is 5/6 big money clubs and then the rest.

We might as well stay here although it'll never be gratifying apart from the odd upset (favourable) result here and there

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The expectation of the Premier League seeing whether we will be cutting the mustard or pushing up the daisies really is something else but the cold hard calculated ruthlessness of every other team except ours makes it a tough watch at times.

I don’t like the length of time between games - apart from Dec - Jan which as we’ve found is a tricky time for the like of us - really painful.

If we could guarantee top six of the championship and always in with a shout then I’d take it all day long over the Prem. But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
FFS! Nobody has died!

Let's all get some perspective.

It is still 'peak Albion'. In fact 'peaks' have yet to come.

Do people really want to get relegated? I want to watch us play entertaining football against the best teams out there. I don't have any desire to go to Rochdale (although I wish them well).

And for VAR, we all need to grow up. We'd be just as pissed off if we lost because Kevin Friend had missed a blatant penalty as if VAR correctly disallowed a goal. "It's not football anymore" people moan. Well it pretty much looks like football to me.

With VAR, look at it this way, you get to celebrate twice! That's value for money surely.

I don't think anyone wants us to get relegated. But it's not the end of the world. So I guess the message is to support the team to stay up but, hey, it could be worse.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will be absolutely gutted if we go down but I know I’ll be really enthusiastic again by the start of next season. I would much rather stay up though

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Nobody expected Leicester to win the PL. I thought that we should be able to establish the club in top flight for a few seasons (with the income reinvested) then push on. Need to stay in the PL even if the fan experience might be better in some respects in Championship.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Clearly it has taken just 3 seasons in the Premier League for the bubble to burst for some and not bad all said and done. Once we were promoted it was always going to be just survival and hoping three teams would be shittier than us, always wondered how long this would take to sink in.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Def miss the championship. The excitment, winning runs, great away days, NO POXY VAR.

PL is all good and im glad TB isnt losing money now and never would want him to again .... but for me the Premier League journey was a million times better than the destination.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I might get a ST again once all the tourists don’t renew. North Stand might also benefit if enough vacancies enable the police box crew to move across into the centre.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For the third season running, we’re probably one of the worst 6 teams. If this continues, we don’t have a God given right to stay up and will eventually drop. Albion fans great confidence before PL rivals arrive at the Amex for each match, how good we are, is inflated and the same time consistently underrates the likes of Burnley, Sheff Utd, Stains, Wolves and Newcastle.

Hopefully we’ll reach PL season 4 and improve the first team significantly in the transfer market this summer.

Used to hate the "have to win every week" pressure of being near the top of the Championship - knowing year after year of £20 million loss was unsustainable.

Let's not go back to that.

Yeah thats the trouble in the championship - you HAVE to keep winning week after week whereas bottom of premier u need only really win on in three.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
The game against Villa had a real championship feel about it. Scrappy, proper fans following their team and some handbags at the end to top it off.

Would I want to go down ? No ! But if it happens I will still enjoy it. Think back to when we got promoted from league 1 and the excitement of playing in the Championship.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I wouldn't be too upset if we did end up in the Championship and will still be there whatever division we are in. I remember the Gillingham days all too well.

For me, even though it's tough in the Premier League, when a win comes along (which broadly speaking is 1 per month over a 9 month season) there is far more satisfaction with a win in The Prem as they are so few and far between and so hard to come by for teams like us.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here