Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mr.Angry In The Crowd

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Hilarious the “we pay our money we can shout we want” brigade.

Of course you can, and what ****ing use does calling Stephens a **** and webster shit? How is it helping the team in any way?

I’ve seen players who don’t give a shit playing for us in the past, and this group don’t have any of those.

What they are a group trying to play a new style of football in the toughest league in the world. Yeah it might not work, Potter might not be good enough, we’ll see.

Have a moan after the game to your mates, call the players shit then if you want, but if you do it at a game to a player, you’re a **** and can **** off.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have to say that was the worst i have witnessed away with the Albion. Plenty of muppets shouting nothing but negatives all match. HOW IS THAT HELPING????

Well of course it isn't helping, but sometimes, as the pressure grows, that's what can happen. At the end of the day, they pay their money, so . . .

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
How many threads do we need to have on NSC, that call out the Albion fanbase, before the penny finally drops:-

ALBION FANS ARE POOR.

We always have been, we always will be.

What's the difference between 'f**k off Webster' and "f**k off Connor"? (one for the kids)

Always going to be a few of these fans at all clubs. Always been the case.

I remember a few years ago, away to Derby I think it was, having to remonstrate with some fans about the absolutely viscious, over the top abuse they were giving to Stephen Dobbie. Remember my Dad doing the same too defending Wilkins in the early 90’s.

Talking of angry fans, anyone remember the big guy with a goatee in H block Withdean days who during a quiet moment would out of nowhere, stand up and launch a huge, loud verbal assault at somebody, usually the referee! We used to call him Mr Angry though most people would usually just laugh at it then.

D

Deleted member 2719

There were people berating the players from about the 5th minute.

Every time we played the ball out from the back they were screaming at the players (and given they were right in front of us, it can't have helped)

Where [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and I were standing (roughly central in the block) there was the bloke already mentioned, who was hurling insults at Webster continually, plus another guy just in front of him, and a group down to our left nearer the front.

What was also apparent was that WHATEVER happened was seen as an excuse to rail against Webster... e.g. Ryan and Dunk get in a right pickle and give the ball away - Bournemouth almost scored and it resulted in a corner - therefore, it's obviously Webster's fault - cue a volley of expletives and abuse.

Some of our 'supporters' aren't supporting the team at all, they are an embarrassment.

I never remember this sort of Shite happening while at the Preistfield, but I suppose we have a different type of fan now.

Can they not see that this is work in progress and like a lot have said scapegoating never helps at all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps it is the reality of the Premier League. Expectations are unrealistically high all the time (including mine !). I am beginning to think away days were more fun when we used to go to places like Tranmere just for the day out and accepting we would lose.

No, they were not better.

I'd prefer to enjoy away days in the PL with our players growing a pair and putting away the effing chances.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I never remember this sort of Shite happening while at the Preistfield, but I suppose we have a different type of fan now.

Can they not see that this is work in progress and like a lot have said scapegoating never helps at all.

I remember giving the team grief. We mustn't look back through rose-tinted spectacles.

That said, just getting on the team's back from the off isn't helping anyone - especially as for the first 30 minutes we were in total control (even if we were as soft as a marshmallow in the penalty box.)

Lush

Mods' Pet
Away games do seem to mean that there's a bigger number of 'entitled' fans congregated in a smaller area.

They pay their money to travel. It's a day out. They're not that interested in tactics/long-term vision/Potterball. They just want to see a win (or at least not a dicking) and are very angry if they don't get it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be fair the same argument applies to most football clubs. Having been to many away grounds following the Albion even the most “vocal” clubs have not been all that. Old Trafford, the Etihad, St.James’ Park, even Anfield have been quiet for long periods during a game. The exception to this was at Stoke City two years ago when we drew 1-1, their support was unbelievable.

I don’t go with this inner city working class community back drop at all. If a team is doing badly the fans will react accordingly. At least at the Amex you’re not going to have a fan taking a dump on their seat like at Sunderland recently. When it matters our fans get right behind the team - just remember the electric atmosphere when we played Sheffield Wednesday in the playoffs as an example.

Eh ? The Stoke fans were on their own player’s backs within minutes of the start. They were deafening for about 90 seconds when they scored, otherwise they were far worse than we’ve been, including in the Sami days (except the Millwall game perhaps).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The reality is, as football fans, we live the moment. We get frustrated, disappointed, excited and ecstatic in equal measure. Some of us are vocal in both support and criticism, others less so. All of us though, whatever the situation, are Albion fans to the core. As football fans we are no better and no worse than fans through the ages. The important thing is our faith and commitment - who else would go to Bournemouth on a freezing cold Tuesday night in January? It’s what we do and despite all the setbacks, upsets, disappointments we will still continue to follow our team. It’s called loyalty and I’m proud to be involved in it.

I agree with all of that, and I'm not questioning people's commitment either, but to the chap who turns up and from minute one shouts abuse at Webster, maybe he could find a better way to channel his aggression in a more productive manner. Like counselling.

Juan-Carlo Barlow

Jan 8, 2020
At half time on the concourse there was a bloke ranting, who reckoned 'the best thing to happen would be to lose 6-0 and then Potter gets sacked'. Only he used a lot more expletives.

Our support in general was poor last night, as much as it pains me to say it. Even when we were on top during the early stages hardly any of us seemed to muster any sort of atmosphere

Was Barber at the game then?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I agree with all of that, and I'm not questioning people's commitment either, but to the chap who turns up and from minute one shouts abuse at Webster, maybe he could find a better way to channel his aggression in a more productive manner. Like counselling.

It would probably do him the world of good, we do not know the guy's circumstances.

Just spare a thought for that poor man's family/partner he obviously is an angry/sad soul that needs help to be honest.

Juan-Carlo Barlow

Jan 8, 2020
I hadn't heard about that unfortunate Sunderland experience, but it does remind me of attending an away game against Reading at the old Elm Park either in the late 60's or early '70's ,with a mate of mine who was a Reading fan. At half time, a bloke near us on the terrace, got his todger out and starting having a piss where he stood, people just got out of the slashback radius and largely carried on as if nothing had happened! Wouldn't have happened at Brighton, I said to my mate!:ohmy::D

Regularly in the North Stand.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Obviously new fans then, the Albion have been mostly shite apart from a few highs over the years, back in the day we never went to aways and expected a result if it happened then it was one for the memory books.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone scream for a policeman out of interest, were any punches thrown ??
Regards
DF

Are you requiring some assistance getting 'stimulated'?

There are blue tablets for that now.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
No doubt they jumped on board the Albion ship in summer 2011, you can bet that a huge number of the 3,000 1901 Club members had zero interest in the Withdean Albion. Good I suppose, as they’re paying the club coffers £1,000’s for the privilege.

But I wonder if they’d all stay if we headed for 2 consecutive Championship seasons again?
What a steaming pile of inverted snobbery horse manure. Large numbers around me were at Withdean and I doubt the ratio in 1901 is much different than the rest of the ground given that Withdean did not hold 30000.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What a steaming pile of inverted snobbery horse manure. Large numbers around me were at Withdean and I doubt the ratio in 1901 is much different than the rest of the ground given that Withdean did not hold 30000.

Well, if that's so, the ratio is 21,000/28,000 x 3,000 = 2,250 1901 club people who didn't go to Withdean, or rarely did.

I know many business folk who had no interest in the Albion, but got excited by the new stadium and bought a few 1901 seats. Partly to network, and to avoid being usurped by competitors in their profession . They drifted away from attending in the Garcia and Hyppia period, but got their mojo back with the PL in sight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here