[Albion] Mr.Angry In The Crowd

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Smug Eddie's tactics were an epitome of this:-

'Let them have the ball'.
'They will make mistakes'
'Capitalise on at least one of these mistakes and we should win'.

This is my take on it, same as Villa did. If I could draw a squash analogy, it's like playing someone all over the court, but not having a drop shot to finish the rally, all they need to do is keep retrieving the ball, because eventually you tin your easy winner and they win the point just keeping the ball in play.

Contrast Bournemouth at our place, high press, trying to not let us play, leaving gaps between their back 4 and midfield, not last night, keep compact, we keep it 0-0 long enough we'll get a chance and they'll crumble.

We have to turn our decent play into goals. Simple as that. Last season it was a case of wondering where the decent play to create a chance for a goal was coming from, at least at the moment the turnaround appears to be just the one, all be it hardest step.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Couldn't agree more.
The amount of abuse aimed at Adam Webster can be doing his confidence no good at all.
Of course, once you are a nailed on 'official scapegoat' it is very hard to get off the list. In the case of Webster, he is getting extra portions of stick because the manager isn't playing the fans' favourite, Duffy. Whatever the case is 'for or agin' Webster, it ain't Webster's fault he has been picked, so as you say, ire should be directed at the manager, not the player.

I don't think that you can call Webster a scapegoat. He really isn't good enough to be starting at the moment . Even Warren was saying the same thing last night. Doesn't mean he should be getting abuse of course, but there is a reason that Duffy, last years player of the season, is a fans favourite.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Goals for xG doesn't in isolation but the goals against xG then weighed up with the points does.

Currently the table has us -7.50 points below expected when chances for and against are weighed up.

Compare that to Newcastle who are an amazing 13.5 up. They did it again last night, burgled a point they shouldn't have got.
And are they burgling points because they are lucky or because they are hanging in games and have the skill and belief to score and save a game when all seems lost?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You could well be right, but in a way, that is much of football today, perhaps especially so in the Prem.
I know it is harking back to times past, but in the Mullers 'Glory Years' as we made our way up the divisions and into the old 1st, I can recall a hell of a lot of passion at the Goldstone............perhaps that is why it will always be my favourite time of supporting the club!

To be more specific:-

You remember the good games, when there was a hell of a lot of passion at the Goldstone.

We don't remember the the dross - silent dross.

I remember the 90/91 season as being fantastic with a real Calderon of noise and passion.

However this would suggest at least 3 months of that season was stood in near silence moaning about shitehouse players:-

https://www.11v11.com/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/tab/matches/season/1991/

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't think that you can call Webster a scapegoat. He really isn't good enough to be starting at the moment . Even Warren was saying the same thing last night. Doesn't mean he should be getting abuse of course, but there is a reason that Duffy, last years player of the season, is a fans favourite.

You have made a completely fair comment and all I am saying is that ire should be directed at the manager ,not the player.:thumbsup:

el punal

I know what [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] means though, it's not just the minority Mr Angries or just the poor behaviour, it's the day tripping Sussex gentry where they show as much passion as an audience in the Theatre Royal. East Stand Lower, you look around and you wonder if anyone is feeling it inside their gut? Or just an eye roll when we concede and back to planning the evening's dinner arrangements.

Like many of the southern clubs, we just don't have that inner city working class community back drop. We've got 30k going regularly, but we have about 10k serious, get behind the team, all out passionate fans, and they're spread mainly between North and West Upper.

To be fair the same argument applies to most football clubs. Having been to many away grounds following the Albion even the most “vocal” clubs have not been all that. Old Trafford, the Etihad, St.James’ Park, even Anfield have been quiet for long periods during a game. The exception to this was at Stoke City two years ago when we drew 1-1, their support was unbelievable.

I don’t go with this inner city working class community back drop at all. If a team is doing badly the fans will react accordingly. At least at the Amex you’re not going to have a fan taking a dump on their seat like at Sunderland recently. When it matters our fans get right behind the team - just remember the electric atmosphere when we played Sheffield Wednesday in the playoffs as an example.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That chump Saltor is weighing in on Insta

Never forget where you came from
and never take your eyes off where you’re heading.
Unity is strength...
This boys, they prepare themselves everyday, they work hard everyday and they learn from failure everyday...
better things are coming.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7njvXjFGXZ/?igshid=q6fr22lplos1

I'd rather know Bruno's thoughts on the current situation.
Suddenly the world feels better again. Love Bruno. Right, enough. We’ve said our piece, got it out. Time to look forward to West Ham and three points in London Town.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
To be more specific:-

You remember the good games, when there was a hell of a lot of passion at the Goldstone.

We don't remember the the dross - silent dross.

I remember the 90/91 season as being fantastic with a real Calderon of noise and passion.

However this would suggest at least 3 months of that season was stood in near silence moaning about shitehouse players:-

https://www.11v11.com/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/tab/matches/season/1991/

Oh well, like everybody, we all prefer to remember the good times; but the main point I was trying to make was that although we may not have the 'tough working class history' of some of the northern clubs, we weren't always completely devoid of passion and excitement down here in the deep south and that football watching has surely changed, especially in the Prem. Let's face it, it isn't exactly 'the working man's game of yore' anymore is it!

P.S. I am sure we can all remember the 'shitehouse ' times over the years ,as well!:D

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Whilst we're here, apologies to the chap in I191 I tried to evict from his seat due to my inability to read row letters.

But also, thanks to the same chap for having a read of NSC at half-time. Try Tapatalk though - it's a lot easier.

No more apologies needed, I’ve done the same thing before! And noted re Tapatalk :cheers:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I know what [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] means though, it's not just the minority Mr Angries or just the poor behaviour, it's the day tripping Sussex gentry where they show as much passion as an audience in the Theatre Royal. East Stand Lower, you look around and you wonder if anyone is feeling it inside their gut? Or just an eye roll when we concede and back to planning the evening's dinner arrangements..

I was sitting beside a family of 1901 Clubbers on the train a couple of games back. Son was doing GCSE's so I guess was about 15/16; dad in his forties; grandad in his sixties who wasn't a member and hadn't been for a while, although apparently he'd been in the director's box at old Trafford for an Everton game last season.

Son said he was going to shout Allllbiiiionnnn.

Day rolled his eyes and said, 'He does that sometimes, just shouts out during the game.'

The son grinned, 'And I might do it again today.' (The unspoken inference being it was largely to embarrass dad)

Grandad said, 'Just so long as no one sings GOSBTS. I hate that song." (You're shit out of luck then, grandpa, I thought)

The two seniors then discussed how they would be meeting everyone at The Ivy after the game.

The dad seemed to have no passion. If the son had any, he'd have it suppressed by eye-rolls and disdain from those around him. Football to them simply isn't what it is to us. I genuinely wonder what they get out of it. They just seem to sit through it dispassionately, joylessly even.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh well, like everybody, we all prefer to remember the good times; but the main point I was trying to make was that although we may not have the 'tough working class history' of some of the northern clubs, we weren't always completely devoid of passion and excitement down here in the deep south and that football watching may have changed, especially in the Prem. Let's face it, it isn't exactly 'the working man's game of yore' anymore is it!

P.S. I am sure we can all remember the 'shitehouse ' times over the years ,as well!:D

I completely agree.

TBH I'm more annoyed by the occasions when we have ALL contributed to taking the frackin roof off the AMEX.

The place is absolutely fantastic.
It holds our support.
Our noise rumbles around the ground.
We visibly lift the players
We have contributed to goals, points & wins.

We can be the 12th man.

It's just 95% of the time we (myself included) choose not to be.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
To be fair the same argument applies to most football clubs. Having been to many away grounds following the Albion even the most “vocal” clubs have not been all that. Old Trafford, the Etihad, St.James’ Park, even Anfield have been quiet for long periods during a game. The exception to this was at Stoke City two years ago when we drew 1-1, their support was unbelievable.

I don’t go with this inner city working class community back drop at all. If a team is doing badly the fans will react accordingly. At least at the Amex you’re not going to have a fan taking a dump on their seat like at Sunderland recently. When it matters our fans get right behind the team - just remember the electric atmosphere when we played Sheffield Wednesday in the playoffs as an example.

I hadn't heard about that unfortunate Sunderland experience, but it does remind me of attending an away game against Reading at the old Elm Park either in the late 60's or early '70's ,with a mate of mine who was a Reading fan. At half time, a bloke near us on the terrace, got his todger out and starting having a piss where he stood, people just got out of the slashback radius and largely carried on as if nothing had happened! Wouldn't have happened at Brighton, I said to my mate!:ohmy::D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was sitting beside a family of 1901 Clubbers on the train a couple of games back. Son was doing GCSE's so I guess was about 15/16; dad in his forties; grandad in his sixties who wasn't a member and hadn't been for a while, although apparently he'd been in the director's box at old Trafford for an Everton game last season.

Day rolled his eyes and said, 'He does that sometimes, just shouts out during the game.'

The son grinned, 'And I might do it again today.' (The unspoken inference being it was largely to embarrass dad)

Grandad said, 'Just so long as no one sings GOSBTS. I hate that song." (You're shit out of luck then, grandpa, I thought)

The two seniors then discussed how they would be meeting everyone at The Ivy after the game.

The dad seemed to have no passion. If the son had any, he'd have it suppressed by eye-rolls and disdain from those around him. Football to them simply isn't what it is to us. I genuinely wonder what they get out of it. They just seem to sit through it dispassionately, joylessly even.

No doubt they jumped on board the Albion ship in summer 2011, you can bet that a huge number of the 3,000 1901 Club members had zero interest in the Withdean Albion. Good I suppose, as they’re paying the club coffers £1,000’s for the privilege.

But I wonder if they’d all stay if we headed for 2 consecutive Championship seasons again?

el punal

I hadn't heard about that unfortunate Sunderland experience, but it does remind me of attending an away game against Reading at the old Elm Park either in the late 60's or early '70's ,with a mate of mine who was a Reading fan. At half time, a bloke near us on the terrace, got his todger out and starting having a piss where he stood, people just got out of the slashback radius and largely carried on as if nothing had happened! Wouldn't have happened at Brighton, I said to my mate!:ohmy::D

Ah, the glory of Reading!:D

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Football 'fanism' or football 'watching' can be weird, and I suppose people go for all different reasons. I must admit, some of my favourite times were visiting loads of the funny old northern grounds back in the 3rd Division in the '60's and '70's. Everyone was welcoming, there was no hassle, opposition fans were keen to hear about your team, how far you had travelled etc. and of course, you could just turn up and pay!
Different times and happy memories.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No doubt they jumped on board the Albion ship in summer 2011, you can bet that a huge number of the 3,000 1901 Club members had zero interest in the Withdean Albion. Good I suppose, as they’re paying the club coffers £1,000’s for the privilege.

But I wonder if they’d all stay if we headed for 2 consecutive Championship seasons again?

Well they are all on 5 year contracts, so yes, I guess they would!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There were people berating the players from about the 5th minute.

Every time we played the ball out from the back they were screaming at the players (and given they were right in front of us, it can't have helped)

Where [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and I were standing (roughly central in the block) there was the bloke already mentioned, who was hurling insults at Webster continually, plus another guy just in front of him, and a group down to our left nearer the front.

What was also apparent was that WHATEVER happened was seen as an excuse to rail against Webster... e.g. Ryan and Dunk get in a right pickle and give the ball away - Bournemouth almost scored and it resulted in a corner - therefore, it's obviously Webster's fault - cue a volley of expletives and abuse.

Some of our 'supporters' aren't supporting the team at all, they are an embarrassment.

As it has always been mate.

boik

There were people berating the players from about the 5th minute.

Every time we played the ball out from the back they were screaming at the players (and given they were right in front of us, it can't have helped)

Where [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and I were standing (roughly central in the block) there was the bloke already mentioned, who was hurling insults at Webster continually, plus another guy just in front of him, and a group down to our left nearer the front.

What was also apparent was that WHATEVER happened was seen as an excuse to rail against Webster... e.g. Ryan and Dunk get in a right pickle and give the ball away - Bournemouth almost scored and it resulted in a corner - therefore, it's obviously Webster's fault - cue a volley of expletives and abuse.

Some of our 'supporters' aren't supporting the team at all, they are an embarrassment.

Sounds like the early Gus days. I remember loads of people shouting "get it forward". And we all thought the Charlie Hughes coaching manual had been burnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here