Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mr.Angry In The Crowd

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This was almost certainly the loudmouth behind me. It was embarrassing to be honest

Just on half time I did shout at him to 'shut the **** up' but I think he was mid rant and missed it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I sort of think that if a footballer misplaces a simple pass and there are a tonne of audible groans, that’s not a bad reflection of the fan base. They are generally frustrated by the action rather than the player themselves. The sound would be the same if the action was done by Ward, Zamora or Dunk as if it were one of our less illustrious players.

Dealing with that “real time feedback” is a normal part of being a player and in the long run probably helps them improve.

What I can’t stand is booing at half time or full time. What’s the point? I wouldn’t mind it if the players hadn’t put it in or clearly couldn’t care less. But that’s not been the case for years. When we lose or have a bad half, it’s because we’re in an incredibly competitive division. And shouting abuse at a particular player? Again, fine is they clearly don’t care, but that doesn’t apply to anyone in our team at the moment.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Interestingly, the only time I've been unable to bite my tongue, due to unacceptable levels of crap from someone in our stand, was also at Bournemouth. (We lost 2-1 I think, in a Championship game). Chap in the row in front, with ridiculous levels of anger. Every Brighton player was a specific type of C***. Someone was a lazy ****. Someone else a lanky ****. When he called Calderon a Spanish **** I'd have enough, and told him to 'pack it in mate'. Que more anger and more expletives.

We moved at half time. I had my lad with me (about 13 at the time) and wasn't interested in confrontation.

Maybe it was the same utter prick, and he only goes to Bournemouth games!

Very similar to this bloke in the row behind me a few seats away at the FA Cup semi last season, constant swearing at our players. After about 25 minutes of this a younger bloke who was directly behind me told him to calm down and mr shouty bloke was very close to starting a punch up because of this. He then spent about 10 minutes just staring at the younger bloke. When half time came, to his credit, he did go across and shake hands with the young bloke. Didn't re-appear in the second half.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That chump Saltor is weighing in on Insta

Never forget where you came from
and never take your eyes off where you’re heading.
Unity is strength...
This boys, they prepare themselves everyday, they work hard everyday and they learn from failure everyday...
better things are coming.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7njvXjFGXZ/?igshid=q6fr22lplos1

I'd rather know Bruno's thoughts on the current situation.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Unity is strength...
This boys, they prepare themselves everyday, they work hard everyday and they learn from failure everyday...

That's going to make some people's heads explode.

They LOVE Bruno (Saltor) and trust his opinion, but HATE (some of) the players, who are ALL lazy and shit.

Those 2 things can't co-exist.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Although I try not to generalise, I will say this: Not all Albion fans are poor, but as a fanbase, proportionately, we are getting worse and worse. The level of entitlement is staggering and the level of rage and criticism aimed at players isn't something I've seen as regularly in my time as an Albion fan (with the exception of the late Hyypia era).

There's also a massive uplift in general stupidity and expressions of literally batsh*t opinions. A prime example: A couple of weeks ago the chap next to me spend the entire first half demanding we "stop fannying about and get it in the box" and "go long" with Maupay up front, then in the second half Maupay dropped deeper and Murray came on and we started to go longer and aim for Murray, which then prompted "FFS lads! Keep it on the f***ing ground! Play your game!".

It took every fibre of my being to keep quiet. What's the point? People are now utterly incapable of comprehending other points of view in any walk of life, especially football.

We have some great fans in our fan base, but my personal view is that it's not something that's getting better...

I agree that the sense of entitlement has increased

The heightened emotions of football don’t lend themselves to real time rational analysis. Look at any matchday thread for proof of this. I’ll be the first to admit that in the heat of the match, with a few beers in me, I’ve expressed some opinions which in the light of day, I would reject wholeheartedly. Part of going to football is the process of letting off steam. Letting out that great british repression.

Having said all that, there has got to be a limit and some of the views expressed by the people near me last night, as an example, Potter is likely to be sacked before the end of the month, (despite having just been awarded a 6 year contract) are just mindblowing.

Mind you, outside the arena of football, I hold plenty of opinions which are clearly not shared by the majority of the population, so maybe I don’t have a monopoly on wisdom. Maybe he’ll be sacked this afternoon

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think the problem with the current 'discontent' is there are a large % of our fanbase that either don't understand or really don't support the changes in our playing style that Potter has introduced.

The pass it out from the back IS trilling (in the widest possible meaning in the word) and does raise the heart rate at times, but it's done for a reason. However, there has been a slow creep towards people getting incandescent with rage as SOON as we try it, even without any cockups. That doesn't help the players settle, and GP has mentioned it already.

My concern is that the Potterball experiment could be ended by the negative reaction to aspects of the playing style, and of course direct abuse of specific players in that system.

The only time I've seen footage of GP angry was at Östersund where the fans had been criticising the players - he was livid. I hope this doesn't happen here.

It occurred to me this morning when I was chatting to my 8 year old lad that it has been a long time since we've been shit. By that I mean really shit, like relegated to League 1or 2 shit, being 3-0 down at Walsall in the first 15 minutes shit or even been beaten by 9 man Walsall shit. Back in the 90s I think we went a year without winning away from home.

The point I am making is that there is a large portion of the fan base whose biggest disappointment is losing a play off game or the dawning realisation that DJ strollabout isn't very good. People aren't used to it anymore but the one thing we do know is that there is plenty more of where last night came from.

el punal

Although I try not to generalise, I will say this: Not all Albion fans are poor, but as a fanbase, proportionately, we are getting worse and worse. The level of entitlement is staggering and the level of rage and criticism aimed at players isn't something I've seen as regularly in my time as an Albion fan (with the exception of the late Hyypia era).

There's also a massive uplift in general stupidity and expressions of literally batsh*t opinions. A prime example: A couple of weeks ago the chap next to me spend the entire first half demanding we "stop fannying about and get it in the box" and "go long" with Maupay up front, then in the second half Maupay dropped deeper and Murray came on and we started to go longer and aim for Murray, which then prompted "FFS lads! Keep it on the f***ing ground! Play your game!".

It took every fibre of my being to keep quiet. What's the point? People are now utterly incapable of comprehending other points of view in any walk of life, especially football.

We have some great fans in our fan base, but my personal view is that it's not something that's getting better...

The reality is, as football fans, we live the moment. We get frustrated, disappointed, excited and ecstatic in equal measure. Some of us are vocal in both support and criticism, others less so. All of us though, whatever the situation, are Albion fans to the core. As football fans we are no better and no worse than fans through the ages. The important thing is our faith and commitment - who else would go to Bournemouth on a freezing cold Tuesday night in January? It’s what we do and despite all the setbacks, upsets, disappointments we will still continue to follow our team. It’s called loyalty and I’m proud to be involved in it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
When confronted at half-time it seemed that Mr "You're a ****ing idiot Webster!" 's main issue was us playing out from the back from goalkicks, often when under extreme pressure.

As was highlighted to him by many: Ryan, Dunk and Webster are doing that because they've been told to do that by Potter - it's really as simple as that.

If you genuinely think a player is ****ing shit then, again, the problem is Potter, not the player. Potter has thrown him the shirt and put him in his side. The player might make mistakes, but unless he's visibly not giving 100%, then I don't see how you can vent at him. Direct your ire at the manager.

Couldn't agree more.
The amount of abuse aimed at Adam Webster can be doing his confidence no good at all.
Of course, once you are a nailed on 'official scapegoat' it is very hard to get off the list. In the case of Webster, he is getting extra portions of stick because the manager isn't playing the fans' favourite, Duffy. Whatever the case is 'for or agin' Webster, it ain't Webster's fault he has been picked, so as you say, ire should be directed at the manager, not the player.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Unity is strength...

The trouble is we're not learning and we're running out of time.

Quite early on in the season the view was we're playing much better football the goals will come and we'll stop making mistakes.

Few months later and these issues have got worse, we're quite clearly not learning.

The Sheffield Utd home epitomised it for me. We made so many individual errors, every player, I wondered whether they'd been on the Xmas do the night before. Sheffield Utd players collectively didn't even make a handfull between them.

They were focused, making sure everything was spot on that they did. We looked lazy and like we couldn't care less.

Then Sheffield Wednesday came to town and I saw what couldn't care less really meant.

I accept we're light up top and the luck has really been against us this season, the xG table reflects that.

We really need things to go our way in a game and nick 3 points to get some team spirit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the problem with the current 'discontent' is there are a large % of our fanbase that either don't understand or really don't support the changes in our playing style that GP has introduced.

The pass it out from the back IS trilling (in the widest possible meaning in the word) and does raise the heart rate at times, but it's done for a reason. However, there has been a slow creep towards people getting incandescent with rage as SOON as we try it, even without any cockups. That doesn't help the players settle, and GP has mentioned it already.

What is amazing, and so disappointing with regard to people's ability to learn / remember, is that you could LITERALLY (and I mean to the very LETTER) have written the above post a decade ago.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not having that.

I've seen enough to know that some football fans are poor, and you can find them at all clubs.

Most Albion fans are not poor but a small, and vocal, minority undoubtedly are.

[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I's example of this last night was from the Goldstone North Stand c1996...

Fan 1: "****ing hell - look interested Wilkins!"
Fan 2: "Wilkins was subbed off 10 minutes ago."

I know what [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] means though, it's not just the minority Mr Angries or just the poor behaviour, it's the day tripping Sussex gentry where they show as much passion as an audience in the Theatre Royal. East Stand Lower, you look around and you wonder if anyone is feeling it inside their gut? Or just an eye roll when we concede and back to planning the evening's dinner arrangements.

Like many of the southern clubs, we just don't have that inner city working class community back drop. We've got 30k going regularly, but we have about 10k serious, get behind the team, all out passionate fans, and they're spread mainly between North and West Upper.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is amazing, and so disappointing with regard to people's ability to learn / remember, is that you could LITERALLY (and I mean to the very LETTER) have written the above post a decade ago.

I thought the same thing as I read it, including the initials.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Couldn't agree more.
The amount of abuse aimed at Adam Webster can be doing his confidence no good at all.
Of course, once you are a nailed on 'official scapegoat' it is very hard to get off the list. In the case of Webster, he is getting extra portions of stick because the manager isn't playing the fans' favourite, Duffy. Whatever the case is 'for or agin' Webster, it ain't Webster's fault he has been picked, so as you say, ire should be directed at the manager, not the player.

However it doesn't help matters when he makes a terrible mistake like the third goal and then doesn't make an effort to recover. We all know Dunk would have broken his neck to try and get behind the keeper to stop any shot.

Watch the goal again. That is a player that has lost it :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Quite early on in the season the view was we're playing much better football the goals will come and we'll stop making mistakes.

Few months later and these issues have got worse, we're quite clearly not learning.

The Sheffield Utd home epitomised it for me. We made so many individual errors, every player, I wondered whether they'd been on the Xmas do the night before. Sheffield Utd players collectively didn't even make a handfull between them.

They were focused, making sure everything was spot on that they did. We looked lazy and like we couldn't care less.

Then Sheffield Wednesday came to town and I saw what couldn't care less really meant.

I accept we're light up top and the luck has really been against us this season, the xG table reflects that.

We really need things to go our way in a game and nick 3 points to get some team spirit.
Smug Eddie's tactics were an epitome of this:-

'Let them have the ball'.
'They will make mistakes'
'Capitalise on at least one of these mistakes and we should win'.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Doesn’t the XG table just add further weight to the opinion that we can get in decent positions but not take our chances? Not sure it tells you if you are lucky or not.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the problem with the current 'discontent' is there are a large % of our fanbase that either don't understand or really don't support the changes in our playing style that Potter has introduced.

The pass it out from the back IS trilling (in the widest possible meaning in the word) and does raise the heart rate at times, but it's done for a reason.

Sorry, have had a decent stab at it, but have absolutely NO idea what that means. My bad, probably :dunce:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
[/B]

Doesn’t the XG table just add further weight to the opinion that we can get in decent positions but not take our chances? Not sure it tells you if you are lucky or not.

Goals for xG doesn't in isolation but the goals against xG then weighed up with the points does.

Currently the table has us -7.50 points below expected when chances for and against are weighed up.

Compare that to Newcastle who are an amazing 13.5 up. They did it again last night, burgled a point they shouldn't have got.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I know what [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] means though, it's not just the minority Mr Angries or just the poor behaviour, it's the day tripping Sussex gentry where they show as much passion as an audience in the Theatre Royal. East Stand Lower, you look around and you wonder if anyone is feeling it inside their gut? Or just an eye roll when we concede and back to planning the evening's dinner arrangements.

Like many of the southern clubs, we just don't have that inner city working class community back drop. We've got 30k going regularly, but we have about 10k serious, get behind the team, all out passionate fans, and they're spread mainly between North and West Upper.

You could well be right, but in a way, that is much of football today, perhaps especially so in the Prem.
I know it is harking back to times past, but in the Mullers 'Glory Years' as we made our way up the divisions and into the old 1st, I can recall a hell of a lot of passion at the Goldstone............perhaps that is why it will always be my favourite time of supporting the club!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here