Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Project Tomorrow vs Protecting Today

If I was GP I'd go…

• 100% Project Tomorrow. Even if means going down to come up.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • 75% Project Tomorrow, 25% Protecting Today

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • 50/50 Fence

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • 25% Project Tomorrow, 75% Protecting Today

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • 100% Protecting Today. Stick Duffy upfront and lob it in the mixer.

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It was clear from the outset that Bloom appointed GP so we could move on from CH's "don't look beyond surviving the next 90 minutes" approach, and start creating an Albion that could endure and thrive in the PL long-term.

Promoting the youth team; sidelining some old-hands; building a single philosophy and style through every age group; recruiting players for a system… all these steps were fundamental to this new era.

In many ways, it's been incredibly successful. Potter has delivered significantly on all those objectives.

But is there now a risk that we're so focused looking at where we're headed, that we're about to step into trap door because we aren't looking at where we are?

Do we need to adjust the focus on Project Tomorrow with a bit more Protecting Today?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Very much so

I think what we’ve struggled with is how to add the experience required to stay up to the youth coming through..... and when you are changing philosophy it’s a hard one to juggle.

Perhaps a couple of loans to protect what we have, this means not having to commit to players who maybe wouldn’t fit our long term vision. Is that what the perm signing of Mooy is opening up (another loan space).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need a 'Project Next 9 Days' to focus on giving Potter the tools he needs to avoid relegation this season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’ve been thinking for a while that the balance has gone too far the other way.

The entire project which Bloom is working on, the youth strategy, the women’s game, everything at the academy is based on us being a Premier League club.

If we do go down, then financial realities will seriously bite. As we’ve seen, going straight back up is seriously difficult. We have two shots at it before the parachute payments run out and becoming FFP complaint becomes seriously difficult especially as we’ve been handing out long contracts on Premier League wages to players.

I think it’s great that we are looking more at the long term, but we have to get this balance right. Some of the conversations on the Ben White thread say to me that a lot of fans are taking way too much of a long term view. To get the long term we want, we also need to protect the short term.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TB and the board's stated aim is for the Albion to become an established Top Ten PL club. Which will be hugely easier to do by staying in this division and building from that, rather than run the risk of relegation and a potential circle of decline in the medium term. PL could be a long time coming round again. 75% focus on today, 25% focus on tomorrow seems by far the wisest course of action IMHO

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
From Blooms perspective I would say 25% tomorrow 75% today, he may be disappointed come May...

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Trying to make yourself a long-term PL team isn't much cop if you're struggling to get out of the Championship. Look at Leeds.

I think Potter's tried to go too fast too soon, sidelining players who are still needed like GM and Big Shane while prioritising players low on confidence (e.g. Webster) over them because of a philosophy.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Right now it's 25% Project Tomorrow:75% Protecting Today ... earlier on in the season the reverse would have applied.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Trying to make yourself a long-term PL team isn't much cop if you're struggling to get out of the Championship. Look at Leeds.

I think Potter's tried to go too fast too soon, sidelining players who are still needed like GM and Big Shane while prioritising players low on confidence (e.g. Webster) over them because of a philosophy.

You have to chuckle though, Big Shane was one of the issues last season, now he's one of the solutions.

One of the other issues last season was playing the same formation and team each week, the solution now for this season - play the same team and stick to the same tactics.

Last season, we should have been playing the youngsters more, giving them a go. Now it's that they're not ready.

Southampton were on a dreadful run earlier in the season, Hasenhuttl was odds on for the next sacking, they looked dead and buried. Funny thing football.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The players are not good enough to play the system that Potter wants to play. Right now all the focus should be on protecting PL status without which everything else becomes irrelevant.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You have to chuckle though, Big Shane was one of the issues last season, now he's one of the solutions.

One of the other issues last season was playing the same formation and team each week, the solution now for this season - play the same team and stick to the same tactics.

Last season, we should have been playing the youngsters more, giving them a go. Now it's that they're not ready.

Southampton were on a dreadful run earlier in the season, Hasenhuttl was odds on for the next sacking, they looked dead and buried. Funny thing football.

Mostly agree with your posts but not this one.

Shane was an issue last season? Deserved player of the season

GP's main critics (not me) are mostly arguing that he has tactical inflexibility, just a different sort of tactical inflexibility to Hughton, (ie he is too wedded to the possession at all costs).

Also the youngsters, clearly a balance needed. Alzate is horribly out of position and Connolly, like any teenager playing at the top level, needs to be used at the right times

Lush

Mods' Pet
With his Masters in leadership and emotional intelligence, I do sometimes wonder if some of GP's team talks might occasionally be worthy of the 'Bellcheeses at work' thread.

And how they go down with Shane Duffy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was on Tapatalk so didn't realise this was a poll earlier.

Tomorrow will look after itself for now, not much downside from having a short term plan 100% focused on this season.

Stick with Potter, recall some loans, use the transfer window, and, yes - stick it in the mixer if need be.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Nice narrative but it’s not that simple. We’ve gone from one fixed mindset to another, both managers aren’t flexible enough to cope with how teams are playing against us.

Duffy is desperately needed given how out of form Webster is and the injury to Burn. But no, philosophy trumps pragmatism.

This year we are happy to drop players who play a blinder, tinkering trumps.

We have only promoted two “youngsters”, one who has nailed it and the other who needs more time. Not a bad return. But those arguing Connolly should be given a break are spot on, so did the club at the start of the season. Remember he was behind Andone and Locadia initially then events took over.

We shouldn't change Potter, Bloom has made the call and he should be given a full chance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here