Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trying To Extract The Positives

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
1. We had a number of decent efforts last night that on another day would've gone in. Ramsdale was in inspired form last night.

2. Jahanbaksh looks like a footballer.

3. Mooy is still very, very good.

Agree with points 2&3, Although we have been coming up against ‘inspired keepers’ for a few years now. I’m of the opinion our strikers aren’t good enough at aiming anywhere other than directly at them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think these ramblings class as 'positives' :lol:

From a quick glance last night and a bit this morning, there seems to be far too much defeatist talk, given the position of the club. I like to think I'm quite measured in my reaction to football matches – I'm very much from the 'one game at a time' school of thought. Granted the past few performances haven't been great, but then some games beforehand (the other Bmuff game, second half v Chelsea, Arsenal) give reason for more optimism. We are equally as likely to get a result like the one against Spurs (home) as we are to have another Everton (away) performance – like I say, take each game at a time.

I don't buy all the 'this squad isn't good enough', because they have proven that, on their day, they are and can match teams and beat them. What is lacking is confidence and, let's face it, defenders who actually defend. When GP arrived, everyone knew his style and freely admitted that we would lose more games, because he doesn't buy into the defensive philosophy as CH. That's fine, but something needs to be done at the back to shore things up. Webster was brought because of his marauding runs forward and his ability to push on from his CB position. However, I can't remember hardly any times when he's done that in the PL, so what's the point of him being in the defence, because – IMO – he's not very good at defending. Will GP change? Who knows...

Anyway, I think there are far too many people writing off the team on the back of a few bad performances. Yes, we should've picked up more points, but teams like Southampton are proof that you can go from being doomed to top half in a matter of months. With a bit of belief, luck and tweaking a system that is not really working, we'll be fine. Let's face it, we're a small PL club and anyone who didn't expect to be at least flirting with relegation this season is a bit short-sighted.

TL;DR: it's not over until it's over :thumbsup:

KTF and all that...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1. We've scored as many goals this season (27) as our 2 previous at this stage, 2018 = 18, 2019 = 27.

2. Our goal difference is as good as it's been after 24 games (-7), 2018 = -16, 2019 = -9.

3. Our chance / expected goals statistics is far higher than it's been in previous seasons.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
8 shots on target! compared with just the one in Hughton's 0-5 just 8 months ago.

How Ramsdale saved that Maupay effort is beyond me - very strong wrist. A slight miss-hit and we'd have been 1 up.

Mooy and Propper good. Stephens - who has been great over the years - looks jaded. He looks old before his time poor bloke.

Solly looked lively - we could do with him back at his best.

and erm we win on away goals with the 2-0 home result

Yes, so different from last season.

We have to be positive, like another poster said its a tough league. If we had another 7 points we'd be close to Albion utopia

Small adjustments I still believe will deliver dividends

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agree with points 2&3, Although we have been coming up against ‘inspired keepers’ for a few years now. I’m of the opinion our strikers aren’t good enough at aiming anywhere other than directly at them.

Ramsdale got MOM for a reason. If you handle it, check the highlights. https://highlightsfootball.net/video/bournemouth-vs-brighton-hove-albion-highlights-3/

The Maupay chance - 1.20 (Would've put us 1-0 up)

The block on Dunk - 5.30

Maupay in 2nd half - 6.02

Mooy 6.48 (Any of those and it would've been 2-1)

You might want to skip the rest of the video, other than Mooy's goal on 9 minutes.

PS. Loved that bit of Jahanbaksh control on 2.33

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
On our incredibly long journey home i was amazed at the lack of anger from our co passengers , the general consensus being we were naive at the back but sharp up front only to be denied by a outstanding goal keeping performance from Ramsdale .

You can't simply just moan about our group of players without taking in to consideration the opposition , the only thing that we were unhappy with was the lack of understanding from our own support which for some reason singled out Webster as the main culprit .

The team is a working progress they can't be expected to perform like circus animals all the time , mistakes happen it's part of the learning curve Potter wants to instill , the result is a bad one yes , but whatever happens i'm happy to still pay my money to watch this group of players totally transform their playing style under Potter , it's going to take time , the board have given him that time , be patient , we have seen glimpses of brilliance and we have seen the rawness of the new system the players are trying to adopt .

It's quite noticeable how we miss Burn we've not adapted to a different system without him yet , that's slightly worrying but it's something all teams have to overcome when they lose a pivotal player in their system , i'm not saying we'll stay up for sure as nobody knows that but we're in for one hell of a ride again and slagging the players off really doesn't make them play any better , iv'e enjoyed watching the Potter transformation unfold obviously there are some rumblings about him but get used to it , he's here to stay .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Agreed only 5 wins needed from 14 (or should I make that 5 from 9, given that we have to still play the 2 Manchester clubs and Liverpool at home, and Leicester and Wolves away, which realistically speaking are unlikely to see us get much if anything from).

Still enough games to save ourselves and to make a couple of signings. Not giving up hope yet.

We could beat man u at home in theory, if we play well take chances and they have one of the many off days they've had this season. Liverpool and City will be like a UK Eurovision entry..... Nil points

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here