Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three at the Back

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Do any of you know our stats comparing a back four and back three?

I was enjoying the football with three and felt our wing backs have us more width.

Probably clutching at straws.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I agree. Without wingers, our only chance to get any width is to have 3 at the back and wing backs. Maybe we go back to that with March fit again, as he seemed a key part of it with him playing the left wing-back role.

Also, this formation finally gets DUFFY back in the team. Something that we desperately need, and something Potter seems incredibly reluctant to do with just 2 CBs. Dunk and Duffy, hmm, it could work y'know.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
The issues that we’re having currently are not defending we are still in the best side in the bottom half for goals conceded. Our trouble is and has always been decisive creativity and guile around the penalty area

Did you watch yesterday's match?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The issues that we’re having currently are not defending we are still in the best side in the bottom half for goals conceded. Our trouble is and has always been decisive creativity and guile around the penalty area
I agree, but I feel like we didn't get hit in the break so easily, as we did last night. We can also attack with more width with wingbacks instead of attacking full backs

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Webster struggles in the air which then affects Dunk as he has to cover. The position we are now in calls for Duffy as we could then be able to defend corners and free kicks a bit better. Also Murray also offers support in these situations which has been lost by playing the teenie weenies. Not a great deal of height at the moment

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
I agree. Without wingers, our only chance to get any width is to have 3 at the back and wing backs. Maybe we go back to that with March fit again, as he seemed a key part of it with him playing the left wing-back role.

Also, this formation finally gets DUFFY back in the team. Something that we desperately need, and something Potter seems incredibly reluctant to do with just 2 CBs. Dunk and Duffy, hmm, it could work y'know.

Last 2 seasons one thing Knockaert always did well was track back and defend deeper. I wondered if he could be converted into a wingback?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Back to basics

Dunk & Duffy back is where I'd start, just look at the lack of clean sheets, one of best defensive pairings in the League. Without them last season we'd have gone down for sure

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
A back 3 would certainly suit Webster better. Duffy is not the answer though. Our defence looked tighter last year because we had 10 behind the ball, not because the Dunk/Duffy partnership is amongst the best in the league.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Last 2 seasons one thing Knockaert always did well was track back and defend deeper. I wondered if he could be converted into a wingback?

Possibly. A bit rash in the tackle for me, but his work-rate is certainly there. However, I can't see us bringing him back. From what I've heard the deal to sell him to Fulham is effectively done, they just couldn't do it this summer or they would have overspent and risked FFP problems, so they have merely pushed that purchase down the road. Hope not, as I miss Knocky, but I don't expect to see him the stripes again any more than I expect to see Andone back.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
At the moment we’re waiting too long for the full backs to get up and deliver a cross. We need first time balls in behind the defence to give Maupay a chance, which means the wing backs need to be higher which means we need 3 centre backs for cover.

With 3 at the back, we could play wing backs who are in the team primarily for their attacking ability.

Montoya is better going forward than he is defending. I believe Solly March is our best option on the left side. Bernardo should be the left sided centre back and Duffy and Webster have a straight shoot out for the right sided place

Our team could look something like …..

---------------Ryan
---Webster Dunk Bernardo
Montoya Propper Alzate March
-----Trossard------Mooy
-------------Maupay

You could easily swap in Duffy for Webster, Burn may displace Bernardo, and you could perm in Bissouma or Stephens in the midfield

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Webster struggles in the air which then affects Dunk as he has to cover. The position we are now in calls for Duffy as we could then be able to defend corners and free kicks a bit better. Also Murray also offers support in these situations which has been lost by playing the teenie weenies. Not a great deal of height at the moment

The Murray point is incredibly important. He is an excellent reader of the ball for headers, I've lost count the times I've seen him defensively clear the ball from a setpiece. Marry him not playing, as well as Duffy out of the team, and we lack that aerial nous.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can we recall Matt Clark and Ben White from their loan clubs?

Having brought in one defender from the Championship who doesn't defend very well, I'd have serious concerns about doing the same with another one – or even two. They might be great, but it's a huge step up and a massive gamble to take. There's a guy in the squad who defended brilliantly at this level last season – to the point of being named player of the season. But Potter chooses not to play him. He might not be the answer, but he at least might make a *bit* of a difference :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1), If we play 4 at the back, the CBs should be Dunk'n'Duffy, with 'proper' full backs (Montoya and Bernardo).
2). If we go 3 at the back (Webster, Dunk and Duffy) we can use wing backs (Montoya or Alzate on the right, Bernardo or Solly on the left).
3). If not deployed as a wing back, Alzate should be in CM.
4). At some point in the match (either at the start or the end) we must play two up top, one of them Murray, with Maupay or Connolly scurrying around him to pick up the knock downs.
5). At times (particularly when GM is on the field) we must be prepared - occasionally - to launch the ball into the opposition half quickly, even if it means kicking the ball a long way!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here