Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sticking Together - Aspinall

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Warren not happy on the radio last night. Rightly questioning all aspects of our game, but one thing he was absolutely resolute and certain of is that the club has to stick together; fans, players, staff, management.

He was pretty clear that if it breaks down, whether players to media, fans reactions etc. then it will be a slippery slope. He was unequivocal that Potter is the man to get us out of this.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Warren not happy on the radio last night. Rightly questioning all aspects of our game, but one thing he was absolutely resolute and certain of is that the club has to stick together; fans, players, staff, management.

He was pretty clear that if it breaks down, whether players to media, fans reactions etc. then it will be a slippery slope. He was unequivocal that Potter is the man to get us out of this.

Agree we should stick together. I'm just not convinced Potter will get us out of this. I honestly feel worse is to come regarding results.

The squad is now showing signs of how poor it is. Our frontline is pathetic for this league, midfield is pedestrian like and hardly a threat. Defending has been embarrassing for the most part. It's all unravelling now.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't come here for a lecture in communism.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Let’s be honest ,when locadia , knocky and andone were allowed to leave we all thought the team looked to lightweight . Questions the club need to answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He’s right, but then Aspinall is not the quitter that large numbers of you are :smile:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
When the fans see the team start to slide they get concerned. There is frustration and a certain amount of puzzlement why this team works well and clicks into gear and is a joy to watch and then, within a few minutes, it all starts to unravel. Why they can't sustain a performance longer than 40-45 minutes. Why team selection keeps changing, game after game, even when players have played really well they end up being sidelined. Formations change constantly and certain players, prone to regular errors, are persisted with.

What doesn't change is the manager's belief in a particular style. Whatever happens he stays faithful to his ethos of playing short, out from the back. An admirable plan if you are Manchester City. They have the class to play accurately to feet, suck the opposition in and then play a slide-rule, killer ball to a more forward player and still keep possession and attack with pace and purpose. They play the system the same as us but much quicker and more precise. Our players cannot perform at that level. The opposition know that. They press higher and higher, keeping themselves in the eyeline of our CB's, until inevitably the cracks appear, we play the ball hurriedly and inaccurately and hey ho, we are in trouble 30-35 yards from our own goal.
The fans are looking for a little bit of flexibility. The surprise element. Ryan or the CB's suddenly going long and giving our forwards the chance to test their pace against slower defenders and or even just playing it long and wide, so the opposition are well back in their half again.

You can tell from our players that this system has been drilled into them. When the chance to go long and effectively is there, they hesitate and the chance is gone. The players have to rescue this position now. The manager is experimenting at a time of the season when he should be playing more percentage football. He is also ignoring strong, experienced players in preference to untried and untested youth, who naturally make more mistakes. The manager has to have a little re-think. There is time to stop this slide but only if the manager readjusts slightly and considers accomodating players who know how to scrap and fight and he is willing to be more flexible with his tactics. At the moment we are playing toothless, pretty football, without a cutting edge and are showing a propensity to making too many basic errors. If we all stick together doing this, we will be relegated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let’s be honest ,when locadia , knocky and andone were allowed to leave we all thought the team looked to lightweight . Questions the club need to answer

I have no idea how the club got to 01.01.20 and didn't think:-

'Fudge me - we got away with it'.

Then sign one of the hundreds of strikers they've been assessing since the summer'.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I get both points of view. Fact one is that we all love the club and want success.
Fact two is that we are merely supporters and have no say in the running of it.
Fact three is that Chris Hughton is gone, that was yesterday, Potter is the here and now.
Unless TB decides on dramatic change, we have what we have. It's not working well right now, but all we can do is hope that they can sort themselves out and find their confidence again. I am as gutted as anyone but what else can we do?

D

Deleted member 2719

Keep the faith, I keep saying it, the margins are incredibly tight in the division this season, and we have come a long way.
This is a short term choppy sea; it will pass if we all believe,s just like Warren said.
Bluff fans believed last night and really got behind the fans even though we ran them ragged for 30 mins from the start.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Certainly don't need a repetition of the scenes towards towards the back end of last season when the atmosphere at the Amex turned a bit toxic and fans were at each others throats.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Agree we should stick together. I'm just not convinced Potter will get us out of this. I honestly feel worse is to come regarding results.

The squad is now showing signs of how poor it is. Our frontline is pathetic for this league, midfield is pedestrian like and hardly a threat. Defending has been embarrassing for the most part. It's all unravelling now.

There you go spence leading the way to sticking together

The players managment are only human and are affected by us the fans confidence we need to get behind the team, now that doesn't mean we can't express criticism but do it in a constructive way to say the team is "pathetic pedestrian embarrassing and it's all unraveling " doesn't help matters.

The way I see it is we have a talented squard and manager our style of play is progressive and exciting in fact all the things many on here said it wasn't last season.

Some individuals within the team are still very young for them it's a big step up very tiring and confidence can be paper thin at such times old heads are needed, we have these within the squard players such as Murray, Duffy, Bong, March now I am not suggesting wholesale changes in fact quite the opposite but a change here and there and a settled starting line up might bring some much needed stability.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Players seemed to have a few 'disputes' between themselves last night, crowd pointing fingers.

3 or 4 around me moaning and groaning each time Stephens went near the ball. Ought to be ashamed of yourselves, both for attitude and, more importantly, lack of savvy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It is the same poor squad that hammered Spurs, gave Arsenal a football lesson in their own ground, and only 3 weeks ago should in all honesty have beaten Chelsea.

As you yourself posted yesterday, form is a massive factor, but also it is transient, so while it appears desperate now, a single win can turn things around.

Seen enough this season that we can get back on track. We have been found out a bit it must be said. Teams are more inclined to let us play a bit but sit and stay organised.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The only disappointing thing for me is that we still seem mentally fragile.
Potter came in promising us a "Play without fear" approach.

I'm not seeing that at the moment .... The last 3 or 4 games have seemed to be the opposite of that and worryingly similar to the end of CH's tenure..

Tough one to overcome, but the players have to believe in themselves more if they want the fans to.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I agree with Warren. We’re at a low ebb, but this team is capable of much better. I’m not giving up.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
By doing things like leaving Murray on the bench, Potter isn't exactly doing much to reassure the spence's of this world.

But, honestly, last night.. we weren't that bad. We had our chances and fluffed our lines in the face of ANOTHER Neuer-esque goalkeeping performance.

I think we lack quality players and Potter needs to get his head out of his arse and stop persisting with Webster, he's costing us so many points.

But I believe that this is the right way to play football and will benefit us in the long run. Keep the faith!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

If the squads as shockingly bad as you say then you can’t really blame the manager.

In fact you should praise him that he’s managed to get a tune at various points of the season out of this lot

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
By doing things like leaving Murray on the bench, Potter isn't exactly doing much to reassure the spence's of this world.

But, honestly, last night.. we weren't that bad. We had our chances and fluffed our lines in the face of ANOTHER Neuer-esque goalkeeping performance.

I think we lack quality players and Potter needs to get his head out of his arse and stop persisting with Webster, he's costing us so many points.

But I believe that this is the right way to play football and will benefit us in the long run. Keep the faith!

Agreed. To intrinsically change the whole philosophy on how to play the game, with the majority of players that we have that are not up to the task, is a very difficult thing to do, especially in the PL. I'll go as far to say that Potter is the right man for the job, even if we do go down. I also think we may HAVE to go down so that we can get to grips with this new way of playing the game, build momentum and then go again in a couple of seasons time.

If we can complete this transition in the PL, and start edging away from relegation battles each season, then Potter really is a genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here