Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Loan Only?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We need a proven goalscorer at Prem level right now. But how do you attract a high quality player into a relegation scrap? An expensive loan deal maybe?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We need a proven goalscorer at Prem level right now. But how do you attract a high quality player into a relegation scrap? An expensive loan deal maybe?

Not sure there is much of an option other than an expensive loan deal at this late stage. Giroud's salary is reputed to be £140K a week. Sounds expensive but nowhere close to the cost of relegation.

We have got ourselves into this mess because we didn't recruit a Murray replacement in the summer and then binned off Andone when we couldn't get a replacement for him either.

What a shambles.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I’m wondering if the seemingly change of heart (assuming the Telegraph report is correct) to sign Mooy this month is because we are going into the loan market.

Can only have two, so signing Mooy opens up the chance to get a couple in.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Not sure there is much of an option other than an expensive loan deal at this late stage. Giroud's salary is reputed to be £140K a week. Sounds expensive but nowhere close to the cost of relegation.

We have got ourselves into this mess because we didn't recruit a Murray replacement in the summer and then binned off Andone when we couldn't get a replacement for him either.

What a shambles.

I don't think we 'binned off Andone', the little turd orchestrated a move to Galatasaray and stitched the club up. Direct your bile at him

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think we should be looking at a loan deal.

It annoys me that every January, Palace steer themselves to safety by getting in a Batshuyai or a Tosun, who bangs in a few goals.

Yes it probably costs them a fortune, but every year they stay up and every year they do better in the second half of the season as they have goals in them.

We need goals to get ourselves out of the mire this season, then we can worry about the future in the summer

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I’m wondering if the seemingly change of heart (assuming the Telegraph report is correct) to sign Mooy this month is because we are going into the loan market.

Can only have two, so signing Mooy opens up the chance to get a couple in.
Good point. The 2 limit is only from PL clubs of course. We can get more from overseas, and ( I think ) the EFL.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think we should be looking at a loan deal.

It annoys me that every January, Palace steer themselves to safety by getting in a Batshuyai or a Tosun, who bangs in a few goals.

Yes it probably costs them a fortune, but every year they stay up and every year they do better in the second half of the season as they have goals in them.

We need goals to get ourselves out of the mire this season, then we can worry about the future in the summer

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/crystal-palace/tosun-murray-hodgson-eagles-fans-react

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The team need a lift and they need it now. A new signing, loan or otherwise would help. Even more so if it was an established striker like Giroud, it’s a short term risk as it’s not a permanent contract, he’d offset some cost as it would shift a ton of shirts.
For 30 minutes last night we looked excellent but without really looking that threatening, we also played OK in the 2nd half but again created virtually nothing inside their box, a ‘presence’ up front would change that, I think Maupay would be very useful in a front 3 or as a number 10, a sole striker he is not.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I don't think we will get a better player than Murray in this window. Proven goal scorer at this level, GP just needs to give him a run out.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Fat frank is also bemoaning the fact they can’t score although his spending power is better than ours if we are chasing a decent striker.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
The team need a lift and they need it now. A new signing, loan or otherwise would help. Even more so if it was an established striker like Giroud, it’s a short term risk as it’s not a permanent contract, he’d offset some cost as it would shift a ton of shirts.
For 30 minutes last night we looked excellent but without really looking that threatening, we also played OK in the 2nd half but again created virtually nothing inside their box, a ‘presence’ up front would change that, I think Maupay would be very useful in a front 3 or as a number 10, a sole striker he is not.

Agreed, 140k a week for 4 months isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things. No commitment to buy and Giroud can put him in the window come Summer transfer window; should we stay up due to the goals then the investment works out. If not, then we were going down regardless.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Maupay was never a sole striker at Brentford, so why do we play him as one? , exactly the same situation with Aaron Connolly, neither have the power or presence to operate that way.

Come to that our whole team, with the exception of our two centre-backs, (when Duffy plays), are far too lightweight and easy to play through. We need more physicality in the team. But of course that isn't the 'Potter way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here