Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kevin Friend

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Having just got back from the game I can't be bothered to go into our own post mortem, but that was a shockingly inept performance from the ref. A very soft yellow for Bernardo followed by 2 or 3 blatant yellows for Plucky not being given, missing a definite foul on Ryan which indirectly led to their goal and then not insisting that Wilson leave the pitch at the closest point to the touchline. Maybe not game changing decisions but yellows do affect the game and his overall performance was shocking for me - probably the worst of the season beating even Stuart Atwell (none of which changes our own ineptitude of course).

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Whenever I see his name as our ref I know we'll get nothing from the game.

I am convinced he doesn't like us and is not afraid to show it in favouring the other side.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agreed on all accounts.

Failing to give yellows for a few very obvious "take one for. the team" fouls to stop an advancing player was just bizarre.

DavePage

At least he patted Maupay on the head after his shot was saved in the second half.
For it to be Potters fault it would have needed him to put Ramsdale on their team sheet, had it not been for that selection we may well have been singing a different tune.
That’s not saying that mistakes don’t cost us badly, they always do.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
At least he patted Maupay on the head after his shot was saved in the second half.
For it to be Potters fault it would have needed him to put Ramsdale on their team sheet, had it not been for that selection we may well have been singing a different tune.
That’s not saying that mistakes don’t cost us badly, they always do.

Getting bored of all the excuses why we don't win games. The ref, the goalie, the weather, Propper backpass, bad luck etc.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
He was very poor, he always is. The thing that really got to me was the keepers blatant time wasting and holding on to the ball for over 16 seconds, twice and Mr Friend, holding his wrist up showing his watch to him in the 85 mins. 4 mins of injury time with 5 subs and their time wasting was a joke, a bit like our play and tactics last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Didn’t book Lerma until the 90th minute who basically fouled our players all evening yet books Bernardo for his first tackle, I’m convinced Friend cheats and last night proved it even more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
While in no way blaming him for our defeat I thought he was a very obvious homer

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Getting bored of all the excuses why we don't win games. The ref, the goalie, the weather, Propper backpass, bad luck etc.

I know, but then you look at Newcastle who don’t have a shot all game against Chelsea and get a 90+min winner, and last night didn’t have a shot on target until 89th min and score 2 in injury time. Now you can say you make your own luck, but boy do we need to make some of that!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know, but then you look at Newcastle who don’t have a shot all game against Chelsea and get a 90+min winner, and last night didn’t have a shot on target until 89th min and score 2 in injury time. Now you can say you make your own luck, but boy do we need to make some of that!!

Ball bounces and luck have not been with us recently. It is now affecting the confidence of the players. We were always going to struggle at this level with so much pressure but only a fool would think we can do this without a bit of luck along the way. We are in trouble and we WILL need some luck to get out of it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed on all accounts.

Failing to give yellows for a few very obvious "take one for. the team" fouls to stop an advancing player was just bizarre.

Didn’t book Lerma until the 90th minute who basically fouled our players all evening yet books Bernardo for his first tackle, I’m convinced Friend cheats and last night proved it even more.

The one on about 85 minutes, when Lerma pulled back Connolly by both shoulders on halfway, to stop a break, was utterly, utterly ridiculous.

As all have said -shocking performance from a shocking referee.

Also, as all have said - he wasn't the reason we lost.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ball bounces and luck have not been with us recently.

[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I were discussing how we don't seem to ever score one of those deflected-shots-goes-spinning-in-as-the-keeper-was-committed-to-the-save-in-the-opposite-direction kinda goals that so many other teams score and we concede ourselves from time to time.

One nearly happened last night - I can't remember who shot now - and the Bournemouth keeper looked on helplessly. Typically with our current luck, as you say, it just missed the goal.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Dont forget the linesmen, thet were on the red payroll too.

It doesnt excuse our own ineptitude however

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He's simply a terrible referee.

But let's be fair to Kevin Friend he isn't the only terrible referee in the PL; there are many.

The quality of football continues to improve in leaps and bounds; the game is much quicker now. But the quality of the officials lags well behind the quality of the players and the gulf is getting bigger each year.

Friend & Atkinson are 48. Jon "puffing billy" Moss is an overweight 49 year old. Mike Dean is 51.

Anybody see the problem here?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I remember Friend reffed us for Liverpool at home last season. That was one of the most jaw dropping performances of a ref so favouring one side I’ve ever seen.

He’s the one ref I don’t want. Probably more than Mike Dean

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I were discussing how we don't seem to ever score one of those deflected-shots-goes-spinning-in-as-the-keeper-was-committed-to-the-save-in-the-opposite-direction kinda goals that so many other teams score and we concede ourselves from time to time.

One nearly happened last night - I can't remember who shot now - and the Bournemouth keeper looked on helplessly. Typically with our current luck, as you say, it just missed the goal.

Alireza. The initial shot was going wide (of the keeper's left hand post)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember Friend reffed us for Liverpool at home last season. That was one of the most jaw dropping performances of a ref so favouring one side I’ve ever seen.

He’s the one ref I don’t want. Probably more than The Complete And Utter Shyster

Friend almost always favours the 'bigger' side, in any game he referees. In a game between two comparable teams, he'll favour the home side.

Path of least resistance / criticism. He's a coward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here