Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens & Pröpper

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This isn’t a dig at either player as I think both perform well enough in the holding role, but when will we get a manager in that will realise these two cannot play in the same midfield?

I don’t think I can count more than 5 games where we have won the midfield battle with both playing from the start in the last two seasons. It has to be one or the other, Stephens much the more disciplined defensively, Pröpper gets the ball forward at a much quicker and effective pace.

One argument I don’t get in this is that Pröpper should be played further forward, his final ball and shooting is miles off for that position.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I thought Pröpper had the best game of his time at Brighton away at Palace. He was outstanding.

And Stephens was suspended for that game.

I'm not a serial Stephens basher, but he looks shorn of confidence at the moment, I think he needs dropping.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
This isn’t a dig at either player as I think both perform well enough in the holding role, but when will we get a manager in that will realise these two cannot play in the same midfield?

I don’t think I can count more than 5 games where we have won the midfield battle with both playing from the start in the last two seasons. It has to be one or the other, Stephens much the more disciplined defensively, Pröpper gets the ball forward at a much quicker and effective pace.

One argument I don’t get in this is that Pröpper should be played further forward, his final ball and shooting is miles off for that position.

I have just said same in the match thread.

I personally would use Propper rather than Stephens as I'm not a fan of his.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought Pröpper had the best game of his time at Brighton away at Palace. He was outstanding.

And Stephens was suspended for that game.

I'm not a serial Stephens basher, but he looks shorn of confidence at the moment, I think he needs dropping.

Yeah I came away from the Palace game convinced that Propper should play the Stephens role with Bissouma being the more attacking option,,

Think he tried that in the Sheff Utd game... It was shit.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton

Stephen's has been a good servant for the club over the last few years and stepped up well in year 1 in the Prem. But Propper is a classy player than when at the base of the midfield makes things happen. If we don't add a strong driving CM which I think is key, giving Bissouma some freedom to push on and support attacks at least gives us something even if he isn't the finished article.

Stephens and Propper togwther just is too pedestrian and theres none bombing on quickly to join the attack when we get the ball forward

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Both of them have very poor goal scoring returns. Opposition teams know we have no threat of a goal from our midfielders. You can afford to mark up our strikers and centre backs, knowing that should the ball fall for a midfielder, it’s not going in the goal.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
For the majority of his time here so far, I’m convinced DP has played way below his best. Might not be his fault though....

Stumpy Tim

Propper played really well last night, as did Mooy. Let down by Stephens and Gross. However, playing those 4 as your central midfield is ridiculous. No pace at all and only Mooy offering creativity. Gross creates opportunities from set pieces, but rarely from open play. We are too predictable

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Propper played really well last night, as did Mooy. Let down by Stephens and Gross. However, playing those 4 as your central midfield is ridiculous. No pace at all and only Mooy offering creativity. Gross creates opportunities from set pieces, but rarely from open play. We are too predictable
Agreed Propper was arguably our best player yesterday and that is saying something in another inept performance. Gross should be nowhere near starting. He is so slow it is like playing with ten men from the start. My main worry is we don’t look fit enough to play the Potter way. We run out of steam after 30 minutes. Lots of huffing and puffing, realise we are getting nowhere and seem to give up. The changes should have been made at half time yesterday. What have Murray and Duffy done wrong we need something different because things are not working. Unlike last season we are creating chances but the players are stuck in panic mode. They have got to get out of it quick or all of their premiership careers are up the swanny.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have just said same in the match thread.

I personally would use Propper rather than Stephens as I'm not a fan of his.

I know many think Propper is a no.10 for the Dutch, but actually he’s played far more as their holding midfielder. It is a job he is capable of doing.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Exactly. Gross really has been dreadful this season set pieces aside. Stephens started the season ok but has been really poor for months and isn’t actually good enough anyway.

I find it a little ridiculous that Stephens and Gross are starting with Alzate shunted to right back, Trossard on the bench and Bissouma not even in the squad. We’re handicapping ourselves from the start.

Propper is brilliant in the deeper role and should start there with a combination of Bissouma, Alzate and Mooy ahead of him.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Propper is a decent player in my opinion, but Gross and Stephens, whilst both having positive attributes, aren't good enough. We need more pace and power. Hopefully Macallister can do a job, I'd like to see him alongside Propper and Mooy. Some on here call you a 'hater' for expressing an opinion on who you think needs replacing but something needs to change obviously.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Both of them have very poor goal scoring returns. Opposition teams know we have no threat of a goal from our midfielders. You can afford to mark up our strikers and centre backs, knowing that should the ball fall for a midfielder, it’s not going in the goal.

This big time! On their good days they both bring good things to the table. However, amongst all the discussion is this fact that they are so unlikely to score. Just 10 goals between them over a season would be great. It just allows the opposition to focus on our strikers.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just leave this here. Premier League Goal of the day:

[tweet]1224625731176738816[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here