Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why RB Leipzig is the most hated team in the Bundesliga

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They’ve apparently not spent more than €20m on any single player, they’ve invested heavily in a club that was languishing in the fourth division, they’re top of the Bundesliga and are in the last 16 of the CL. :shrug:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
They’ve apparently not spent more than €20m on any single player, they’ve invested heavily in a club that was languishing in the fourth division, they’re top of the Bundesliga and are in the last 16 of the CL. :shrug:

Yeah - it looks like their only crime was to be successful

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are they really disliked ? Like in a Bournemouth type way ?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

They weren't really languishing in the forth division. Red Bull purchased a non league side SSV Markranstädt, moved them away from the town & changed their name to RB Leipzig. For several years previously they were sniffing around established clubs to invest in, but met with resistance from fan groups. Thus they took the option to go for a club that was easy pickings. They've played fast and loose with the 50 + 1 rule which is blasphemy in the eyes of your average German fan.They are Milton Keynes on steroids. The hate for them amongst the old school is off the scale. There was a huge 'funeral procession' by Union Berlin fans en route to the Leipzig stadium last Saturday, carrying mock coffins and crosses. They take fan 'culture and tradition' seriously here. The clubs are nothing without the fans and the guardians accept that. Or most do. Those that occasionally go rogue often get 'persuaded' it's time to move on. Leipzig have no tradition (formed 2009) and have thrown huge money by German standards to get where they are. A club seen as no more than a franchise of the Red Bull world football 'brand.'

Leipzig.Union.Fans.jpg

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The millionaire-owner thing seems to be a sort of creeping rot in the DFB. The 50+1 rule is under constant pressure.

Hoffenheim (ex 5th division), Leipzig (ex 4th division), now Hertha

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
They weren't really languishing in the forth division. Red Bull purchased a non league side, SSV Markranstädt moved them away from the town & changed their name to RB Leipzig. For several years previously they were sniffing around established clubs to invest in, but met with resistance from fan groups. Thus they took the option to go for a club that was easy pickings. They've played fast and loose with the 50 + 1 rule which is blasphemy in the eyes of your average German fan.They are Milton Keynes on steroids. The hate for them amongst the old school is off the scale. There was a huge 'funeral procession' by Union Berlin fans en route to the Leipzig stadium last Saturday, carrying mock coffins and crosses. They take fan 'culture and tradition' seriously here. The clubs are nothing without the fans and the guardians accept that. Or most do. Those that occasionally go rogue often get 'persuaded' it's time to move on. Leipzig have no tradition (formed 2009) and have thrown huge money by German standards to get where they are. A club seen as no more than a franchise of the Red Bull world football 'brand.'

Fair enough, still not entirely sure what is so wrong with all that, they moved a club 7 miles, invested heavily in them, and changed their name. How many English clubs have moved (historically) location by a few miles? West Ham, Arsenal, Man City, Brighton, Southampton, Oxford? And loads have had an entity take them over, invest heavily and ‘win’ success, Liverpool, Many City, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Leicester, would any of these sides got anywhere without huge investment by interested parties? Each to their own, doesn’t bother me one way or another, if you want success, you have to spend the money, and corporations/businesses have the money.

Bayer Leverkusen????? Owned by Bayer.
Wolfsburg, owned by VW, their badge even looks a bit like a VW badge.
I guess you’re not allowed to criticise the establishment, it’s the upstarts that the elite don’t like.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Fair enough, still not entirely sure what is so wrong with all that, they moved a club 7 miles, invested heavily in them, and changed their name. How many English clubs have moved (historically) location by a few miles? West Ham, Arsenal, Man City, Brighton, Southampton, Oxford? And loads have had an entity take them over, invest heavily and ‘win’ success, Liverpool, Many City, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Leicester, would any of these sides got anywhere without huge investment by interested parties? Each to their own, doesn’t bother me one way or another, if you want success, you have to spend the money, and corporations/businesses have the money.

Bayer Leverkusen????? Owned by Bayer.
Wolfsburg, owned by VW, their badge even looks a bit like a VW badge.
I guess you’re not allowed to criticise the establishment, it’s the upstarts that the elite don’t like.

There is a slight difference to Leverkusen & Wolfsburg which were originally founded as sports clubs for the workers of Bayer Pharmaceutical & Volkswagen, as opposed to a corporate organisation buying a pre-existing club, with it's own modest identity.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lovely stadium though. 43,000 capacity, but it seems bigger.

(CL match about start against Spuds, on BT Sport).

First time I'm hoping Mourinho to be part of a winning team.

The 51% rule is holy in Germany and Sweden.

That a few clubs are trying to work around it is disgusting, especially since its impossible to do anything about it. Cant take them to court or punish them for bending the rules, plenty have tried but lawyers say "once anyone takes the 51% rule to EU courts, its dead". When it comes to RB Leipzig it doesnt help that the company behind the club makes their money from selling poison to kids.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That a few clubs are trying to work around it is disgusting, especially since its impossible to do anything about it. Cant take them to court or punish them for bending the rules, plenty have tried but lawyers say "once anyone takes the 51% rule to EU courts, its dead". When it comes to RB Leipzig it doesnt help that the company behind the club makes their money from selling poison to kids.

It’ll have to be another CL club that punishes Leipzig, Spuds are getting torn apart down their left and right, 3-0 down on aggregate already.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup. Well.. at least I get the pleasure of watching Mourinho lose. Wonder who or what he will blame.

Pre-match, both 5live and BT Sport had a theory that Mourinho’s ultimately and deliberately criticising Levy, in one of his typically manipulative routines. Using the media to tell the world “Look at what a poor squad I have to work with. Ndombele just the most expensive example of our poor recruitment”.

Wouldn’t put it past him, he plays barely veiled mind games, not just with opposing managers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Bayer own more than 51% of Leverkusen (100%), VW own more than 51% of Wolfsburg (100%), both have won the Bundesliga, and both have had significant success by being owned by huge corporations.

And selling poison to kids? Really? It passes food standards, they also sell it to adults, and it isn’t poisonous. Get over yourself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Because god FORBID anyone challenges the Established Order of the Elite, and (gulp) ends up breaking into the Champions League. Lets just keep Bayern winning the League ever. bloody. year, and never have anyone able to ever step up.

Infantino will have an aneurysm if Wolves/Sheff Utd make next seasons Champions League.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pre-match, both 5live and BT Sport had a theory that Mourinho’s ultimately and deliberately criticising Levy, in one of his typically manipulative routines. Using the media to tell the world “Look at what a poor squad I have to work with. Ndombele just the most expensive example of our poor recruitment”.

Wouldn’t put it past him, he plays barely veiled mind games, not just with opposing managers.

I don't go with that theory at all, I instantly assume the pundits in question are just lazy.

It's been trotted out since the moment Jose arrived.
He knew the squad he was walking into.

Furthermore Jose would, and we all know he would, have demanded reassurances re future transfer window funds, before he signed.

Just because he always shits the bed, I don't believe he shuffled into WHLane with his trousers already round his ankles clutching a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here