Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we going to regret letting Glenn Murray go - again?

Are we going to regret letting Glenn Murray go - again?

• Yes - don't let him go!

Votes: 77 60.2%
  • Nah - he's the past not the future

Votes: 51 39.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You could be right, but Murray was every bit as much a viable option than Connolly last night.
Connolly is a prospect, but at the moment all he really does is fall over and not win a free kick/penalty.

the question remains... if you aren't going to bring him on when 2-0 down..... why have him on the bench at all?

Seems to be a disrespectful way of treating someone who has served the club well.
Have the balls to say to him - "sorry you aren't in my plans"

So your answer to last night was to bring on the striker who failed miserably at Everton and again v Villa as opposed to the striker who failed miserably v Villa.

My point isn't to be that harsh.

My point is these 2 aren't and shouldn't be the only 2 options available.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
the question remains... if you aren't going to bring him on when 2-0 down..... why have him on the bench at all?

I'm not debating against you at all, but that's a silly question to ask when Potter DID make three attacking changes.

He has to make the changes he thinks are right, and maybe he made the wrong ones, but your question isn't the right one when three attacking changes have been made.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, yes we are. Already looks a terrible decision to leave him on the bench so much, so yes, letting him leave completely so we lose the possibility of Potter being forced to play him due to injury or so miracle end of his stubbornness (also, see Duffy).

I just can't get my head around it. Love Connolly, he's a great prospect, but we're rushing him into playing more football than he's ready for. In a 15 min cameo at Everton, Murray came closer to scoring than Connolly has in a couple of months.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
[tweet]1219629787830005761[/tweet]

Poyet made his biggest Albion managerial mistake in forcing him out.

Pardew made the same mistake of forcing him out at Palace.

He's no spring chicken, but in the goal shy form we're in, Potter is also making a big mistake.

All 3 managers where clueless as to what they let slip through their fingertips

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, yes we are. Already looks a terrible decision to leave him on the bench so much, so yes, letting him leave completely so we lose the possibility of Potter being forced to play him due to injury or so miracle end of his stubbornness (also, see Duffy).

I just can't get my head around it. Love Connolly, he's a great prospect, but we're rushing him into playing more football than he's ready for. In a 15 min cameo at Everton, Murray came closer to scoring than Connolly has in a couple of months.

Is he a great prospect? Blinder Vs Spurs and then what?
Maybe you're right but the jury is out, he could just as easily slip into championship obscurity

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The discussion should be:-

'why the hell was the only viable option a 19 year old?'

this, or variation, why do we have only 3 strikers? letting Andone go without replacement may look very silly at the end of the season

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is he a great prospect? Blinder Vs Spurs and then what?
Maybe you're right but the jury is out, he could just as easily slip into championship obscurity

Yes, he could. Easily. At the moment he's still very young and his career could go either way. I think the way we are using him is not helping him. At this age, he needs to be impact subs only, and occasionally. Both Maupay and Connolly could benefit from playing WITH Murray rather than keeping him out.

There are aspects of Connolly's game that are very encouraging in a player so young. Throwing him in, heaping expectation and down right desperate NEED on to him in a side lacking confidence and heading towards a relegation scrap, is far from ideal. Experienced heads are needed, in the team, not warming the bench.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
this, or variation, why do we have only 3 strikers? letting Andone go without replacement may look very silly at the end of the season

As the timing was all wrong, I give the club a pass on that.

I'm questioning what they've done since.

One of world's richest clubs needs goals to maintain that status.
It becomes backed into a corner where it only has 1 genuine, but unproven, striker, supported by two players who couldn't be further apart on the experience scale.

I have no idea why the first Monday meeting didn't go something like:-

Board - 'GPott, we know you're in the shite with strikers, just do what you can'.
GPott - 'No worries boss I've got a few ideas and have confidence in who we have'.
Board - 'Every meeting from now on will start with us talking strikers'.
'We will bring in the very best we can, even if we have to throw money at the problem'.
GPott - 'ASAP, those games through Jan could make or break us'.
Board - 'No problem your choice will be in the stands watching the Chelsea game'.

I don't care about other clubs.
I don't care about when to traditionally do business.
I don't care about financial bubbles, hyper inflation, over cooked markets.

The squad needs goals.
The manager and squad have done brilliantly to get to this point.

The team has been crying out for another striker since 01.09.19 and yet nobody has arrived in time for the 'easier' games.
Now there aren't any easy games left.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not debating against you at all, but that's a silly question to ask when Potter DID make three attacking changes.

He has to make the changes he thinks are right, and maybe he made the wrong ones, but your question isn't the right one when three attacking changes have been made.

Yeah fair enough..

What I'm really saying is that I don't think the right choice was Connolly over Murray.
We needed 2 goals and we needed to have more variety in our attacking options to achieve that.
If we had just needed the 1 goal and fresh legs were needed then fair enough, but that was not the case last night. IMO

It may well be that with a deal nearly done for Murray, then Potter decided not to risk him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It becomes backed into a corner where it only has 1 genuine, but unproven, striker, supported by two players who couldn't be further apart on the experience scale.

Board - 'GPott, we know you're in the shite with strikers, just do what you can'.
GPott - 'No worries boss I've got a few ideas and have confidence in who we have'.
'We will bring in the very best we can, even if we have to throw money at the problem'.
Board - 'No problem your choice will be in the stands watching the Chelsea game'.

The squad needs goals.

The team has been crying out for another striker since 01.09.19 and yet nobody has arrived in time for the 'easier' games.

Said the same elsewhere just now. If Mr, NewStriker had arrived at the beginning of the month, I think this would be a happier place right now having not just picked up a solitary point from the Villa and Bournemouth fixtures.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Murray's legs have already gone. Would it really be that much of a loss to let the rest of his body go? No disrespect to the bloke, but he's reduced to the same level of cameo appearances that BZ was reduced to in His Second Coming. Sadly anyone thinking otherwise isn't thinking straight. Both brilliant players in their prime, and both rightly Albion legends. But that was then and this is now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Murray's legs have already gone. Would it really be that much of a loss to let the rest of his body go? No disrespect to the bloke, but he's reduced to the same level of cameo appearances that BZ was reduced to in His Second Coming. Sadly anyone thinking otherwise isn't thinking straight. Both brilliant players in their prime, and both rightly Albion legends. But that was then and this is now.
Agree. Murray is past it, it's just a shame it has ended like this, with us needing his goal scoring power just as he's no longer really in a position to deliver.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Agree. Murray is past it, it's just a shame it has ended like this, with us needing his goal scoring power just as he's no longer really in a position to deliver.

I'm not sure how anyone can know this given he's hardly played.

But he still knows where the goal is and has a track record of scoring in the Premiership. I'd still feel more comfortable with him than an unproven Carlos Kickaball from Deportivo Somewhere

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

The squad needs goals.

I suppose the problem is that the transfer targets who could actually make a difference to our season have a strong bargaining position and it’s in their interests to wait until the end of the month.

It’s also in the interests of the selling club to get a replacement in first and see if they can get a crazy purchase price for a panicked chairman somewhere.

It’s not that it never happens, Palace signed Tosun who will do well for them. But the majority of business will be conducted in a final day flurry. Twas forever thus

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But we're desperate

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Murray appears to be enjoying the very best 'not playing therefore a saviour' status money can buy.

He wouldn't have 'saved' last night, hasn't saved any other games this season.
He's saved only one possibly two games over the last 12 months.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest anything other than our tally of offsides would have increased were Murray to have come on.

The discussion should be:-

'why the hell was the only viable option a 19 year old?'

This exactly,Murray isno more the saviour than Peter Ward or Bobby Zamora would be next weeekend. We need to buy a decent striker NOW. End of.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As Potter is a pretty forward-thinking manager, he's no doubt keen to adopt the currently fashionable approach of 'not playing a striker'. With Connolly loaned out, Muzza shipped off to the Championship (or another PL club), it'll only take another Maupay red mist for the coach to get his wish :jester:

#OverloadTheMidfield

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not sure how anyone can know this given he's hardly played.

But he still knows where the goal is and has a track record of scoring in the Premiership. I'd still feel more comfortable with him than an unproven Carlos Kickaball from Deportivo Somewhere

He played Jan 19 to May 19 – I don't remember the goals flying in when we were in the shit then either?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here