Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we keep Potter if we get relegated

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
It's a hard hard world in the Pemier League isn't it? Don't forget that Albion (Tony?) paid Ssansea 2 million to get Potter, then for reasons unknown gave him a six year contract. So I guess that they're stuck with him unless there's some kind of relegation release clause in that contract.

But is it all his fault? Yeah, last night was am embarrassing shambles after that 'five minute spell' but the writing is and was already on the wall - the midfield simply don't cut it, apart of course from Moy. Potter can only work with the players he has and it seems clear to me that urgent improvement is needed there.

But I sem to remember that Potter added his own recruitment team to that already at Albion when he arrived. So who is really at fault? Could the alternative be to give him a tough talking no nonsense deputy able to motivate players more strongly? Not him, of course, but someone like John Terry?

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Remember when the club set their mission for the next (I think) ten years? The one that said the aim was to become a top ten premier league club?

Many missed what was also said - that it’s possible we could be relegated before eventually getting established at that level.

I think they knew Potter was a gamble for this season, hoping for the best (staying up) and preparing for the short-term worst.

Potter’s contract has just been extended. He’ll be around for the long term. If we go down, he’s staying. I’m sure the expectation will be we are immediately challenging for promotion.

If not, I would think Bloom’s pockets are deep enough to pay up his contract if we’re off the pace in the Championship.

Anyway, let’s finish this season first by staying up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I actually feel a bit sorry for Potter. He’s in the highly unusual position for a manager of replacing a universally liked manager who a lot of fans and ‘experts’ didn’t think deserved the sack. That adds a lot if pressure itself and I think you can see in that in his press conferences with the amount of times he praises the job Hughton did. Most managers are replacing someone disliked who was wanted to be sacked by the majority of fans.

Then just a few weeks into the job Bloom offers this improved and extended contract. No one is or could turn that down but again, it adds to the pressure and expectation on him. I know Bloom did it with the best of intentions but I really don’t think it’s helped Potter.

Add in the lack of support with regard to signings and our squad strength, whilst trying to completely change our style of football as also desired by our owner and Director of Football, I think Potter has a tough job and has done well overall.

IMO we, the fans and board, need to back him now and whatever happens at the end of the season.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Every chairman to a greater or lesser extent is influenced by fan opinion

Maybe in some Premier League clubs but I sincerely doubt if the chairmen of City, Utd, Chelsea etc give a fig about what the fans think.
Tony is a fan as well so is a very different example. Not sure his decision to extend Potter's contract was based or influenced on what the fans thought.

Maybe in some Premier League clubs but I sincerely doubt if the chairmen of City, Utd, Chelsea etc give a fig about what the fans think.
Tony is a fan as well so is a very different example. Not sure his decision to extend Potter's contract was based or influenced on what the fans thought.

Dunno about that the Ole and Fat Frank jobs do owe a lot to keying into fans' sentiment

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yes. 100%.

If we can learn to score then this will be a team that’s going places.

Yes, but we need to concede fewer goals too.

No disrespect to Webster but Dunk is better with Duffy alongside him. D&D know each other inside out so even with a new coach and playing style they instinctively know what the other is up to.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
He'll start next season in charge... whichever division we are in

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Keeping this as vague as possible, one of the entourage has been fairly up front about not liking Brighton (the place) or the English weather, which considering that the journey thus far has taken in Swansea and the cold climes of Ostersunds in northern Sweden, is quite something.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He has many fantastic ideas and long term those ideas are perfect for a club like ours. If we do get relegated then the consistency will help in a swift return but although we've had a few disappointing results we are pretty close to the staying up tracker and not in bedwetting teritory yet. Plenty of worse squads have won tougher fixtures to stay up then our road ahead, we will hit another purple patch soon and our fortunes will turn

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes, but we need to concede fewer goals too.

No disrespect to Webster but Dunk is better with Duffy alongside him. D&D know each other inside out so even with a new coach and playing style they instinctively know what the other is up to.

Those too are really good mates of the pitch as well - so it's not surprising they perform well together when on the pitch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here