Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sami hypia all over again

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The contract extension at a time when the PL firing season started was probably a prudent move. I can't know but I'd hazard a guess he wasn't on a huge sum at Swansea, and most likely one of the lowest salaried in the PL (a guess on my part based on Hughton being one of the lowest too). So once we started getting results, and liked what we saw going on, a contract extension was probably a sensible thing to do.

Our youth programme wouldn't have changed overnight, but you or I cannot know how the coaching of the first team and youth players has changed internally. We've gone from wondering if any of them are good enough to knowing some of them definitely are. We've gone from people screaming for giving youth a chance last season, to now calling for them to go out on loan this season. You can't have it both ways - if you're bringing youth through it comes with risk and mistakes, if you cannot accept those, then you may as well give up any hope of bringing youth players through.

As for recruitment, Trossard looks a player, Mooy has been a strong addition, and Maupay just needs a couple to bounce in for him again. In the bottom half of the table out of 10 sides, only 2 have scored more goals, and we've conceded less goals then everyone in the bottom half including Arsenal in 10th.

So yeah, looks a bit bad at present because we're having a classic winter slump, but lets not get too bogged down in the mire because there are many positives from the season so far.
Brilliant

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Another Sami Hypia like performance once again From Potter
Wrong formation wrong selection wrong substitutions
No lamptey or Maccalister even on the bench when the side is desperate for a new spark from somewhere

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The contract extension at a time when the PL firing season started was probably a prudent move. I can't know but I'd hazard a guess he wasn't on a huge sum at Swansea, and most likely one of the lowest salaried in the PL (a guess on my part based on Hughton being one of the lowest too). So once we started getting results, and liked what we saw going on, a contract extension was probably a sensible thing to do.

Our youth programme wouldn't have changed overnight, but you or I cannot know how the coaching of the first team and youth players has changed internally. We've gone from wondering if any of them are good enough to knowing some of them definitely are. We've gone from people screaming for giving youth a chance last season, to now calling for them to go out on loan this season. You can't have it both ways - if you're bringing youth through it comes with risk and mistakes, if you cannot accept those, then you may as well give up any hope of bringing youth players through.

As for recruitment, Trossard looks a player, Mooy has been a strong addition, and Maupay just needs a couple to bounce in for him again. In the bottom half of the table out of 10 sides, only 2 have scored more goals, and we've conceded less goals then everyone in the bottom half including Arsenal in 10th.

So yeah, looks a bit bad at present because we're having a classic winter slump, but lets not get too bogged down in the mire because there are many positives from the season so far.

I love your attitude.

I think that we have a potential goldmine in our U23s and if we can survive in the Premier League this season, who knows what Potter can get out of these youngsters in the future?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I love your attitude.

I think that we have a potential goldmine in our U23s and if we can survive in the Premier League this season, who knows what Potter can get out of these youngsters in the future?

If it's anything like what he's getting out of our first team squad I'd rather not find out.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Even the most grounded must be worried about how we score so few with so much possession but concede so often. We huff n puff take ages looking pretty then get a mental block about how to score when the opposition having been under the cosh break away and score at will.

Defence is a shadow of former seasons, midfield creates very little and we are still struggling yet again to score. Pretty on the eye yes but also more frustrating.

Agree totally except for being pretty on the eyes. Cringeing on the eyes might be more apt.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And still it goes on, this thread from January about potter not knowing his best starting 11 and 10 months later he still doesn’t

The notion of a ‘best starting 11’ is very old fashioned and antiquated. That sort of tired old dogma is the complete opposite of what Potter is all about.

Maybe follow Forest for a while if you are struggling to cope?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sami hypia all over again.
Must confess this little thought does lurk at the back of my mind from time to time. I do wonder how GP would have coped with the option of Gary Gardner and Forster Caskey in midfield, and O'Grady and Fenelon up front ...............................

At the very least, it would have put his reputed ability to improve players to a very stiff test! Some of his team selections do seem worryingly similar though.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The notion of a ‘best starting 11’ is very old fashioned and antiquated. That sort of tired old dogma is the complete opposite of what Potter is all about.

Maybe follow Forest for a while if you are struggling to cope?

No, it really is not.

Liverpool;
Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino, Mane

Man City;
Ederson, Walker, Ruben, Laporte, Mendy, De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan, Foden, Sterling, Aguero

Wouldn't you argue that these are the best two teams in the country? When everyone is fit and available, these are the teams who play. Sometimes there's an alteration, maybe Bernardo in for City. Jota for Liverpool, and Milner and Keita on rotation. But these two teams have a best 11 they rely on. It's not an old fashioned idea.

Southampton are top of the table and their team picks itself when everyone is fit. It is not an old fashioned idea and it is not a negative either. I believe that our team is significantly better than our results and I think the constant rotation is the reason why.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No, it really is not.

Liverpool;
Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino, Mane

Man City;
Ederson, Walker, Ruben, Laporte, Mendy, De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan, Foden, Sterling, Aguero

Wouldn't you argue that these are the best two teams in the country?

Yes.

But you’ve picked two poor examples for your argument.

Klopp really mixes up the midfield 3 (you’ve left out their best one) and Pep is constantly chopping and changing. You’re making a case for young progressive managers swapping around squads full of similarly talented players rather than the old skool ‘best 11’ diatribe.

How many different starting line-ups do you think Man City & Liverpool had last season?

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Yes.

Klopp really mixes up the midfield 3 (you’ve left out their best one) and Pep is constantly chopping and changing. You’re making a case for young progressive managers swapping around squads full of similarly talented players rather than the old skool ‘best 11’ diatribe.

How many different starting line-ups do you think Man City & Liverpool had last season?

So good to see Potter's modern approach is working so well then...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yes.

No, I don't think I have. And I think that the formation is very rarely changed, so it's rotating in players rather than formations. Man City famously changed for the Champions League and lost (ok, Sterling fluffing an open goal would have changed the outcome, but even so - the result was a defeat).

Who are you referring to as Liverpool's best midfielder, by the way? Thiago? He's only been there a few months but he will play when fit, for sure. I think they're good examples of having a settled team but I would also stand in opposition to your suggestion that we DON'T have similar quality to call on in reserve. Our squad is as strong as anyone else around us in the table. We have many, many options and I rate pretty much all of them highly. I believe we're underperforming based on the squad we have, would you agree or disagree with that assessment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here