Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Trial of Christine Keeler

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t find a thread on this so please delete if I’ve missed it.

Having been very young when this was going on I have memories of what a massive deal this was so have been watching even though I already know the end!

However I have bloody loved this dramatisation.

Are you watching? What do you think of it?

Can’t believe how sorry I feel for Keeler and especially Stephen Ward. What a bunch of CJTCs the privileged toffs being portrayed are. Not ONE speaking up for him and as for the Judge leading the Jury in his summing up.

How times have changed when having sex and fun is so frowned on, what a stitch up on Ward.

Gripping stuff for me and surprised it hasn’t been discussed on here already

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Can’t find a thread on this so please delete if I’ve missed it.

Having been very young when this was going on I have memories of what a massive deal this was so have been watching even though I already know the end!

However I have bloody loved this dramatisation.

Are you watching? What do you think of it?

Can’t believe how sorry I feel for Keeler and especially Stephen Ward. What a bunch of CJTCs the privileged toffs being portrayed are. Not ONE speaking up for him and as for the Judge leading the Jury in his summing up.

How times have changed when having sex and fun is so frowned on, what a stitch up on Ward.

Gripping stuff for me and surprised it hasn’t been discussed on here already

With you on all of this. I watch the prog and google alongside

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Absolutely top class drama from the Beeb. I was 15 at the time of the scandal and read the usual lines in the Express- but in all honesty had other things on my mind at that time:smile:

Wonderful casting, super acting and a sound balance that can be heard by the viewer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think there would be the same Stephen Ward stitch up if it happened today...

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Have really enjoyed it. I’ve been googling all along too!

A few observations though:

The actresses are somewhat more attractive than the people they are portraying

Not seen this much smoking on TV for yonks, but it’s probably realistic

Can you imagine how over the top social media would be if this were to happen now?

For those that have seen it, how does this compare to the movie Scandal? Worth a watch?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have really enjoyed it. I’ve been googling all along too!

A few observations though:

Not seen this much smoking on TV for yonks, but it’s probably realistic

Can you imagine how over the top social media would be if this were to happen now?

For those that have seen it, how does this compare to the movie Scandal? Worth a watch?

From memory this much much better than Scandal

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not sure about that, both Keeler and MRD were very good-looking. In fact, the actress playing Keeler looks very much like her.

There are a couple of things that are odd. It wasn't until I read the latest Private Eye that I realised that Profumo was nowhere near as high-up as the programme suggests - he was a long way from being a potential leader.

Secondly, the trial was very inaccurate: the verdict from the Lucky Gordon appeal was not disclosed to the jury. The TV programme makes this disclosure to be damaging to Ward but it would have cast the evidence of the main prosecution witness in doubt.

It's very compellling TV though - it made me feel very sorry for Ward,.he was completely on his own,

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not sure about that, both Keeler and MRD were very good-looking. In fact, the actress playing Keeler looks very much like her.

Indeed

fb2dd66686c8d01c26684689ce13e571.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I kept meaning to start a thread myself although I did make reference to it in the thread that I started on the paedophile former Bishop of Lewes Peter Ball, and I drew parallels of how the establishment have always gone to particular lengths to protect their own, an attitude which still prevailed in the case of Ball over 30 years later.

I was too young to remember the Keeler affair at the time but it was something I became aware of later in life and the 1989 film "Scandal" brought it to the public's attention again.

Keeler has always come across with a lot of dignity in the few times I have seen her interviewed.

One was an uncomfortable interview with Sue "f*** me till I fart" Lawley (standing in for Wogan) at the time of the film's release who conducted the interview with an undertone of unnecessary hostility towards Keeler and showing more sympathy for the Profumos, even asking Keeler in an accusatory tone, "haven't they been through enough?" Keeler remained admirably composed and dignified in the face of Lawley's line of questioning.

https://youtu.be/2LtOXBZgl5w

The other clip is a short film where Keeler is speaking about her childhood and the dances she used to attend as a young teenager. There's a really uncomfortable and inappropriate moment where the man who used to run the dances suddenly starts reminiscing about watching Keeler when she used to go swimming in the local river and even recalling with disconcerting clarity the type of swimsuit Keeler used to wear, at which point he appears to almost lunge towards her in a really creepy way. Again Keeler fielded his inappropriate comments with total dignity.

https://youtu.be/ytIR9u9Wti4

I don't think Keeler was ever a gold digger, unlike Rice Davies. I think Keeler was just looking for comfort and emotional security as a result of her damaged childhood and sex was her way of trying to achieve that. The relationship that was most important to her with a man was with Ward and that was sexless. Keeler could have probably made a lot of money out of her noteriety but she never did as the affair left her very damaged.

The more confident Rice Davies by comparison did very well financially afterwards trading on her noteriety and marrying some very wealthy businessmen. One thing I learned from the series which I was previously unaware of was that Rice Davies was the girlfriend of the notorious slum landlord Peter Rachman. The series portrays his appeal to her as being largely motivated by his wealth.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Some superb drama on the box at the moment. After seeing how they fitted all of Dracula into 3 episodes, I think that this could have been done in 3 episodes also. Having said that, it is brilliant and the acting superb.

The chap playing stephen ward is brilliant.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Some superb drama on the box at the moment. After seeing how they fitted all of Dracula into 3 episodes, I think that this could have been done in 3 episodes also. Having said that, it is brilliant and the acting superb.

The chap playing stephen ward is brilliant.

James Norton, the next James Bond, get your money on now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Keeler was a good looking girl in her day but, by Christ, the years weren't kind to her - the poor woman looked like a bag lady at the end.

4704C74700000578-5148841-image-m-20_1512504985748.jpg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
As Mrs H often points out, she's not 19 any more and I'm not 24 :) (Our ages when we first met after Brighton vs Hull in May 1989)

So maybe even Ms Keeler should have been allowed to age and weary a bit?

She is 75 in that image what were people expecting?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going stand outside court, boooo her and tell her to f**k off.

I've paid for my ticket, it's my rite.

...oh hand on, wrong thread.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As Mrs H often points out, she's not 19 any more and I'm not 24 :) (Our ages when we first met after Brighton vs Hull in May 1989)

So maybe even Ms Keeler should have been allowed to age and weary a bit?

Indeed, but compare her to Mandy Rice Davies at 70. I'm 51 and I probably would. 3670476_300x300_1.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here