Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Did you grow up in the 80’s. This might amuse you

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Was hoping it was gonna go surreal with crazy, made-up stuff... but, alas, no.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was hoping it was gonna go surreal with crazy, made-up stuff... but, alas, no.

Which is why I said might amuse you rather than will amuse you!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Did any computer rooms in schools only have one computer in the 80s? 70s maybe but we had 3 Pets along with our couple of BBCs.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Did any computer rooms in schools only have one computer in the 80s? 70s maybe but we had 3 Pets along with our couple of BBCs.

My school had about the same number, which meant Computer Studies was limited to the top 15 boys or so in the top maths set.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And that petrol station clearly has goods for sale in the window.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Never mind computers, calculators weren't even invented when I was at school. Who remembers logarithms and that book with all the "codes" in?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
My lousy comp must’ve been posher than I thought. We had about 8 BBC Micros.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Charley Says were all made in the 60s and 70s.
That shop wasn't really selling Pukka Pies as BG isn't pressed up against the glass.
Tony Blackburn opened Langney Shopping Centre in 1973 so celebs cutting ribbons was hardly a new thing and still goes on.

SA_BRA_7_E_5_3_21hr.jpg

Our assemblies were nowhere near an hour long.
Salt n Shake Crisps were invented in the 1920s
Cheese and Pineapple was very much a 70s thing as featured in the 1977 Abigail's Party.

123036x400.jpg
I definitely has sun cream applied as a kid
Not sure I ever saw a bus conductor - always pay the driver
Morecambe and Wise? Eric died in 1984 and they were at their height in the 70s. See also Rag and Bone Men (Steptoe)
Definitely had a chocolate advent calendar.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Never mind computers, calculators weren't even invented when I was at school. Who remembers logarithms and that book with all the "codes" in?
I seem to remember having one but never using it. Maybe I had my dad's old one.

boik

My only contact with a computer at school was spending ages manually punching out 80 column ebcdic cards, having them sent to Sun Alliance to run on their mainframe waiting days to get a piece of paper back with an error code on it. Didn't put me off tho as I spent my whole career working on mainframes and unix servers.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My only contact with a computer at school was spending ages manually punching out 80 column ebcdic cards, having them sent to Sun Alliance to run on their mainframe waiting days to get a piece of paper back with an error code on it. Didn't put me off tho as I spent my whole career working on mainframes and unix servers.

It annoys me greatly when trawling through the Vintage Computer section of eBay, trying to avoid buying more crap, to come across hundreds of auctions trying to see unused punch cards.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Unused...066102?hash=item59323ecdf6:g:pwAAAOSwNwhch4zs

Especially when people have some kind of breakdown and want this much money for them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varied-s...371912?hash=item1a8f7b4bc8:g:NFEAAOSwzgBYxshd

boik

It annoys me greatly when trawling through the Vintage Computer section of eBay, trying to avoid buying more crap, to come across hundreds of auctions trying to see unused punch cards.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Unused...066102?hash=item59323ecdf6:g:pwAAAOSwNwhch4zs

Especially when people have some kind of breakdown and want this much money for them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varied-s...371912?hash=item1a8f7b4bc8:g:NFEAAOSwzgBYxshd

Blimey. I used to have hundreds and hundreds of them lying around. Surely they would be easy to reproduce, or do people not want them to use, just for the rarity?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Blimey. I used to have hundreds and hundreds of them lying around. Surely they would be easy to reproduce, or do people not want them to use, just for the rarity?

That is what annoys me. The first auction is fair enough - a piece of history to remember using them. But trying to sell a bulk lot at ridiculous sums is just daft. I know my mum used to use them in her job but the nostalgia isn't enough to spend that much.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
In Menkind, they're selling a Commodore 64 replica with built in games. Sorely tempted, to revisit my 80s yoof.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
And that petrol station clearly has goods for sale in the window.

It was a benefit they only sold petrol. I'm fed up of sitting behind a car thinking the person has popped into pay and seeing them come out with bags full of food half an hour later. BP on Vogue Gyratory is particularity bad for this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here