• Total voters

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
th.jpg

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Christianity's quite simple really.

There are rules that should be followed. If you don't they're sins, but sins can be forgiven.

The idea is that Jesus came to Earth to take on all the sins. Believe in Him and what he stood for and he can absolve all sins. And because we're human, we're all sinners.

But our reward could be an eternity in a perfect version of the Earth. Sounds like a good deal to me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The perfect faith couldn't be misused. Any faith that can be manipulated for personal gain or desires is not of God and can easily be dismissed using critical thinking.

Organised religion is the original pyramid marketing scheme and is a sin in it's own right.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I find the Christian v No Religion very hard to believe that recently being a time when religion wasn't as forced upon us as in the past, and we have been allowed to think for ourselves. If true, a huge swing in just 10 years- the 2011 Brighton Census :

"The 2011 census found the religious composition to be 42.90% Christian, 42.42% nonreligious, 2.23% Muslim, 1.00% Buddhist, 0.98% Jewish. 1.66% were adherents of some other religion, while 8.81% did not state their religion."

Would expect no religion to be over 50% come the 21 Census.

Maybe religion is dying because people are realising what a load of old bo8888ks it is. If you want a moral code you would be better reading Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter that the Bible with its Gay burning, child beating, wife owning, slavery agreeing, ethnic cleansing and just plain lies.

I dont care what religion others follow, just keep it to yourself and dont try to push it on me. Dont make my kids attend religious assemblies. dont allow religious groups to run state funded schools, dont force us all to live under a head of state that is also head of a religious sect, dont allow bishops from that sect to sit in Parliament and judge over us when their own house is such a disgrace to humanity.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Muslim Jesus nailed an innocent man to the cross in his place, and then laughed from a distance at how he and Allah tricked everyone into believing he was put to death. (And the moral of the story is?)

Q 4:157: And for their saying, "We have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the Messenger of God." In fact, they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them as if they did. Indeed, those who differ about him are in doubt about it.

Unfortunately for the all knowing Allah it backfired because this magical crucifixion show gave birth to the pagan Christian religion and he had to send another prophet, in Muhammad, to undo his self inflicted damage.

Yet in the 1,400 years since Allah tried to correct his mistake, Christianity still grew into the largest pagan religion in the world at 2.8 billion compared to the pagan stone worshipping religion of Islam at 1.3 billion.

You couldn't make it up. :shrug: Oh hang on a second ???

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Omnism

Omnism is the recognition and respect of all religions or lack thereof; those who hold this belief are called omnists (or Omnists). The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) quotes as the term's earliest usage by English poet Philip J. Bailey: in 1839 "I am an Omnist, and believe in all religions".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Muslim Jesus nailed an innocent man to the cross in his place, and then laughed from a distance at how he and Allah tricked everyone into believing he was put to death. (And the moral of the story is?)

Q 4:157: And for their saying, "We have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the Messenger of God." In fact, they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them as if they did. Indeed, those who differ about him are in doubt about it.

Unfortunately for the all knowing Allah it backfired because this magical crucifixion show gave birth to the pagan Christian religion and he had to send another prophet, in Muhammad, to undo his self inflicted damage.

Yet in the 1,400 years since Allah tried to correct his mistake, Christianity still grew into the largest pagan religion in the world at 2.8 billion compared to the pagan stone worshipping religion of Islam at 1.3 billion.

You couldn't make it up. :shrug: Oh hang on a second ???

Dictionary definition of pagan - a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Maybe religion is dying because people are realising what a load of old bo8888ks it is. If you want a moral code you would be better reading Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter that the Bible with its Gay burning, child beating, wife owning, slavery agreeing, ethnic cleansing and just plain lies.

I dont care what religion others follow, just keep it to yourself and dont try to push it on me. Dont make my kids attend religious assemblies. dont allow religious groups to run state funded schools, dont force us all to live under a head of state that is also head of a religious sect, dont allow bishops from that sect to sit in Parliament and judge over us when their own house is such a disgrace to humanity.

Thank you. That's saved me tappying out exactly the same.

Might as well believe in Grimms' fairy tales than the bible.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Technically, you're preaching your beliefs through your last post.

You just can't see the hypocrisy

They are not my beliefs, they are my lack of belief. Religion is terribly short on truth and fact, provide me with some and i may change my opinion.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
They are not my beliefs, they are my lack of belief. Religion is terribly short on truth and fact, provide me with some and i may change my opinion.

But surely you believe that everything from the beginning of time was created by an unbelievable, against all odds coincidence?

That's a pretty big belief in my eyes. You must think people in the jungle who've had barely any outside contact have created this belief of a god from the top of their head and just out of coincidence so have the eskimo 's on the other end/terrain of the world?

For thousands of years humanity/ different civilisations have built incredible structures with symbolism and purpose all pointing to some sort of faith in a god, again, totally coincidental they all played along with this massive load of bollocks?

Not trying to be rude but that sort of belief seems just as strong as any other I've heard, and to be fair, you might be right? Who knows?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But surely you believe that everything from the beginning of time was created by an unbelievable, against all odds coincidence?

That's a pretty big belief in my eyes. You must think people in the jungle who've had barely any outside contact have created this belief from the top of their head and just out of coincidence so have the eskimo 's on the other end/terrain of the world?

For thousands of years humanity/ different civilisations have built incredible structures with symbolism and purpose all pointing to some sort of faith in a god, again, totally coincidental they all played along with this massive load of bollocks?

Not trying to be rude but that sort of belief seems just as strong as any other I've heard, and to be fair, you might be right? Who knows?

The people in the jungle and the Eskimos don't believe the same thing, do they? They've just done the usual human thing when they don't understand something, and so say "it must be magic".

I'm open to the idea of religion. There must be a higher power than us in the universe. We don't really have a clue how, or more importantly why, it began. But I'm not open to the nonsense that humans made up when it seemed the only logical conclusion, and the sooner the world moves on from this hokum, the better. As an example, it's utterly astonishing that intelligent, educated people believe that someone built a boat big enough to hold two of every species on the planet (who all happened to be completely fertile) for example. I often wonder whether these people secretly wish that there was a more believable explanation than this nonsense. Or, let me guess, I've got it wrong and don't understand, it's meant to be a metaphor...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

That's a pretty big belief in my eyes. You must think people in the jungle who've had barely any outside contact have created this belief of a god from the top of their head and just out of coincidence so have the eskimo 's on the other end/terrain of the world?

I’m not the poster you’re replying to but I don’t think it’s a ‘belief’ to follow science. The Big Bang theory is not a belief but a substantially proved process that scientists even today can still view aspects of.

No belief required, scientific repeatable tests.

All that 100s of years of scientific knowledge versus a book. A man made book. By the Romans no less.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The people in the jungle and the Eskimos don't believe the same thing, do they? They've just done the usual human thing when they don't understand something, and so say "it must be magic".

I could be wrong but surely they all believe in some sort of spirituality which all goes under the same bracket?

I'm open to the idea of religion. There must be a higher power than us in the universe. We don't really have a clue how, or more importantly why, it began. But I'm not open to the nonsense that humans made up when it seemed the only logical conclusion, and the sooner the world moves on from this hokum, the better. As an example, it's utterly astonishing that intelligent, educated people believe that someone built a boat big enough to hold two of every species on the planet (who all happened to be completely fertile) for example. I often wonder whether these people secretly wish that there was a more believable explanation than this nonsense. Or, let me guess, I've got it wrong and don't understand, it's meant to be a metaphor...

I'm not Christian but I respect that maybe someone built a boat and chucked some animals on it when/if there was a huge natural disaster . I don't find that too ridiculous. The story probably just got twisted the more time went on. IT's things like 'no sex before marriage' I struggle to understand.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I may not frame it in quite the same way but I agree with Bulldog, his hearts in the right place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here