Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Manager 2020

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Missing this year as I only get the odd numbers.

Agree with [MENTION=7271]Postman Pat[/MENTION] - Still going with my FM19 save - started with 1.FC Kaiserslautern in 3.Liga got them up to the Bundesliga without spending a penny, completely relying on wonderkid loans from the big German clubs. Obviously, as soon as I got to the top division, they stopped sending their players to me and I plummeted. Jumped ship to Watford just before relegation marred my CV and turned them into Europa League winners before Barcelona came knocking and I won everything.

My plan was to take over the Albion after winning the Club World Cup in a weird homecoming move but they're doing rather well under Gary Monk (of all people) pushing for a European spot for the second season running so I am not sure if I can be bothered to wait around for a virtual Brighton. I do enough of that with the real thing.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I spend too much time on this game.

Took Dorking from VNS to League 2 play offs on a shoe string budget. I made them a tidy profit on player sales and barely spent a penny.

Their board sacked me for failing to get promoted despite the board's expectations for the season were not to be relegated. Not sure how the logic worked that out, but i did lose 5 games on the bounce before the play offs...

Looking for new opportunities now..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who wins the Euros ?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I got it at the beginning of last week and started off strong with Albion. I bought in Mitrovic, full-back Patric from Lazio and Wanyama on loan from Spurs, flogged Bong and got rid of Schelotto on loan and we won 4 of our first 6 playing an attacking, high-intensity pressing game.

However, things rapidly went to shit. A 5-1 defeat to West Ham in November was the catalyst and we lost game after game after game from there. Palace were winless after their first 10 when we went to Selhurst and even they turned us over.

I went HAM in the January transfer window in an attempt to fix it, signing Rolando Mandragora, Valon Berisha, John Souttar and Mattia Perin and flogging Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Izquierdo and Duffy. I still don't know how and why, but we went three months (15 games) without a win when I got called into Mr Bloom's office with the sack looming. I talked him into giving me another month but I've jacked it as there's no way of turning it around- the dressing room is gone...

Going to learn from my mistakes hopefully in a new save!

As a side note, Graham Potter got the Newcastle job in December and turned us over in his first game.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Really want to get into FM again but seeing as my laptop is a company HP standard issue, I cant install steam on it!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I got it at the beginning of last week and started off strong with Albion. I bought in Mitrovic, full-back Patric from Lazio and Wanyama on loan from Spurs, flogged Bong and got rid of Schelotto on loan and we won 4 of our first 6 playing an attacking, high-intensity pressing game.

However, things rapidly went to shit. A 5-1 defeat to West Ham in November was the catalyst and we lost game after game after game from there. Palace were winless after their first 10 when we went to Selhurst and even they turned us over.

I went HAM in the January transfer window in an attempt to fix it, signing Rolando Mandragora, Valon Berisha, John Souttar and Mattia Perin and flogging Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Izquierdo and Duffy. I still don't know how and why, but we went three months (15 games) without a win when I got called into Mr Bloom's office with the sack looming. I talked him into giving me another month but I've jacked it as there's no way of turning it around- the dressing room is gone...

As a side note, Graham Potter got the Newcastle job in December and turned us over in his first game.

Does the game have difficultly settings - Amateur, Semi-Pro, Pro - or have just had a mare?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've thought about getting one of these but with folk qualifying for Europe a lot it seems it's all a bit easy.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I’ve done 15seasons on FM20 touch on iPad, played as Liverpool but keep watching Brighton who stayed up for 5 seasons then yo-yo for 6seasons and are now stuck in championship. The AI sold trossard to Burnley at first jan window, gyorkees scores 10-15 a season for ever (more in championship less in premier), macallister starts to move around European big teams Napoli sort of level for £40-60m having never played for seagulls. About to re-start as seagulls this time having managed to bag all the current superstars Havertz, mpbabe, Holland, dyabla, Millinkovic-savic for Liverpool’s 10seasons league champions in a row team. The ‘big 6’ are still the big 6 only changes are wolves doing well early on and Everton nearly relegated in 2030ish There is a bug as a Scottish manager it never lets me manage England for some odd reason

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I finally got around to buying this just after Xmas, and as usual SI have done a fine job of producing one of the most addictive games known to man.

Obviously I'm managing the Albion, and if I say so myself it's going quite well. Finished 7th in the 2019/20 season which got us Europa League football for 2020/21. Thanks to Florin Andone (who just scored goals, generally without twatting anyone) and a few well chosen signings we finished 3rd in the Prem and got to the Quarter-Finals of the Europa League, after which Real Madrid came knocking (I declined their offer).

That third place finish brought CL footy to the Amex for 2021/22, although Juventus offered 55m for Andone so off he went, and so far we're topping our group after draws with Shakhtar and Porto, and a 4-1 home battering of PSG.

I go for a 4-2-3-1 formation with the emphasis on pressing and possession. Usual starting line up is:

Maty Ryan (c), Martin Montoya, Ben White, Adam Webster, Vitaliy Mykolenko, Sander Berge, Andrija Balic, Leandro Trossard, Alexis Mac Allister, Martin Terrier, Erling Haaland

Subs: Christian Walton, Lucas Martinez Quarta, Bernardo, Davy Propper, Solly March, Pelayo Morilla and Fedor Chalov

The rest of the 25 is made up of Patrick Burner, Haydon Roberts, Leo Ostigard, Yves Bissouma, Pascal Gross, Alireza Jahanbakhsh and Aaron Connolly

Oh, and in this reality Palace finish rock bottom this season and don't even make the Championship play-offs next season, which is a nice thought.

Anyone else playing this year, and how are your virtual Albions doing?

So you didn’t find any loophole in getting a work permit to allow Percy Tau to play for you then !
:lolol:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Does the game have difficultly settings - Amateur, Semi-Pro, Pro - or have just had a mare?

You can make it easier or more difficult by adjusting the playing experience and coaching badges your manager starts with, but yeah I have just had a mare.

I got Staines Town to the Europa League in FM13, I will get there eventually... it just takes me a few dud saves to get it right :moo:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I’ve done 15seasons on FM20 touch on iPad, played as Liverpool but keep watching Brighton who stayed up for 5 seasons then yo-yo for 6seasons and are now stuck in championship. The AI sold trossard to Burnley at first jan window, gyorkees scores 10-15 a season for ever (more in championship less in premier), macallister starts to move around European big teams Napoli sort of level for £40-60m having never played for seagulls. About to re-start as seagulls this time having managed to bag all the current superstars Havertz, mpbabe, Holland, dyabla, Millinkovic-savic for Liverpool’s 10seasons league champions in a row team. The ‘big 6’ are still the big 6 only changes are wolves doing well early on and Everton nearly relegated in 2030ish There is a bug as a Scottish manager it never lets me manage England for some odd reason

Is the touch version any good?? Tempted to get it for £9

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I started with Eastbourne Borough, won Conference South and currently mid table in Jan 2021 in the Conference, still in the Trophy and playing in front of at least 1,100 every week, Dean Cox enjoying an Indian Summer, and Greg Luer has scored 50 goals in one and a half seasons.

Any tips on who I should sign to push on to the next level?

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford

This is nearly identical to how my first season with Brighton went. 11 game winless run with only 2 draws. Palace also winless until beating me in November in Bielsa's first game managing them. I struggled through Christmas and made lots of signings in Jan and managed to hammer Palace to end the run and got a point away at Watford. Thought I'd saved my job only to get sacked then! Finished the season managing Bradford to the playoffs which we lost.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm playing FM20 Mobile, although I've not had much time to do so recently. It's the first one I've played since about 2005.

Playing as Albion, of course, spent £27M on Thorgan Hazard in the first January window, then secured Reinier (Brazilian wonderkid who's just signed for Real Madrid for €30M) for £8M in the Summer.

Looking in now, I realise that Lee Sargeson scouted Japhet Tanganga and said he's not worth buying - he's been released by Spuds in my game, so I've singed him up for £56k and £3.8k/week for 4 years - If he's good enough in real life, he'll surely make me some money!

Oh, and I sold Knocky to Schalke for £7M.

Last edited:

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I am intrigued as to what FootballManager has down for Glenn Murray's Pace and Acceleration.

And is there anyone slower in the Prem?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Setting up a mentoring group is really paying off :ffsparr:

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 9.51.56 PM.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here