Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barbers Notes About Fans/Customers in Villa Programme

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can anyone post them on here, or maybe give an overview?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
e715ea878ceff70bd475499326ea14cc.jpg

From Andy Naylors tweet yesterday

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thank you! :thumbsup:

Whilst booing your own players is never a good thing, in 45 years of supporting the Albion I have done this maybe twice, why does PB think that ‘customers’ should not complain when given a xxxx product?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Shows Albion fans do still can about the Cup, we were poor and beaten by lower league opposition. What does PB expect?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Written in frustration I guess. The 30k that turn up in the cold to see and support the team is evidence of the heartfelt support. True it is hard when they play badly, but.....that’s football.
Frankly if people pay their £30 or £40 or more they are entitled to say what they want to, but he is right in that it does not help matters and is counter productive.
I only gave stick once to an Albion player , that was The languid Robert Codner....a long time ago, and that was when he did something that really got to me......
If we are supporters, let’s try and support.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Whilst booing your own players is never a good thing, in 45 years of supporting the Albion I have done this maybe twice, why does PB think that ‘customers’ should not complain when given a xxxx product?

Aside from being rude to the players, the main reason is that you would be ruining everyone else's day.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Aside from being rude to the players, the main reason is that you would be ruining everyone else's day.

Has to be said, snowflake/millennial.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Shows Albion fans do still can about the Cup, we were poor and beaten by lower league opposition. What does PB expect?

Maybe he’s referring to the jeering of individuals ..such as Bong in which case I agree with him...ive never booed an Albion player once in my fifty odd years because as like Barber said I don’t think it benefits the team that I want to watch and do well...doesn’t mean I havnt given some verbals if they needed to buck there ideas up

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Fans moan, all sports and all levels of sport. We moan about the team, players, owners, managers the beer etc etc etc
Some like to moan privately some like to moan more publicly...

This isn’t unique to Brighton, it’s every team and every sport... and It will still be happening long after we are all gone, when our kids kids kids will be continuing the tradition..

Just ignore it and move on, no need to lecture everyone about it every time it happens, cos it ain’t stopping any time soon..

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I do not jeer our players, although I might utter the odd swear word when one of them does something stupid. I'm one of the many who stay and clap the team off, irrespective of the result.

However, I do think Paul Barber's desire to police how supporter's think and behave is a bit odd. I certainly wouldn't put it in the Match Programme. He's the CEO, not the Head Teacher of a particularly unruly school.

Perhaps he could focus his efforts on supporting our recruitment team. If not, then the P&L, ticket sales etc etc.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Poor product equals poor response.

Exactly this. (Although I don't agree with it) I would have thought this was exactly what Mr. Barber would have thought. If I'm a customer I expect a good product, not one half formed and not up to the job. It seems Mr. Barber would like me to be a customer when it suits him and an understanding fan when I'm served crap.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I am a hugely impressed by PB and what he has done to support Bloom, but view his occasional headmaster approach tiresome. I guess he’s allowed to express his opinions on how fans should behave, but just as he has the right to opine so can the fans. I’ve never boo’d the Albion but each to their own. On this topic, **** him

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thank you! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure he is saying don't complain, more don't be a **** and don't complain in a negative self defeating manner :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hopefully similar scrutiny has been passed on the club losing the thousands of customers who came along to previous similar cup ties but didn't bother with this one.

And, as someone who did bother, I'm somewhat envious of those who stayed at home.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe he’s referring to the jeering of individuals ..such as Bong in which case I agree with him...ive never booed an Albion player once in my fifty odd years because as like Barber said I don’t think it benefits the team that I want to watch and do well...doesn’t mean I havnt given some verbals if they needed to buck there ideas up

Agreed. We all get frustrated and moan from time to time - natural reaction. Most of us then get behind the team straight afterwards, perhaps with even more intensity.

Singling out individuals for constant sniping is very different but sadly seems to be quite popular. And booing.... well, I could probably count the times I’ve done that on one hand in 40 years. And the circumstances would have been far more drastic than dropping a couple of points at the top level of English football or watching a poor display in a competition that’s low on the list of priorities right now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Boos at full time yesterday too.

Thought it was more of a collective groan. A loud sigh borne out of frustration.

Barber will be conducting customer training courses next. Without going on said course your season ticket will be revoked. The course will consist of allowed songs, zero tolerance of dissenters, the safe use of topless bottles and the reporting procedure of non-compliant supporters.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
He has his opinions which he chooses to either express or not, we all have our own opinions which we choose to either express or not. How much notice we take of other peoples opinions are entirely up to us as individuals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here