Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Both MOTD & MOTD2 irritated the hell out of me this weekend with their chummy 'isn't he a character?' eye rolling appreciation of The Complete And Utter Shyster. No he isn't a character, he is arrogant, dismissive and, more often than not, very bad at his job. He acts like a parent or boss who makes bad snap decisions based on gut instinct and, when challenged, doubles down to convince himself that he is still in charge. Supporters of every team can produce examples of when his total incompetence and arrogant pigheadedness has ruined football matches and yet there he still is, 500 games in.

The clubiness in football often annoys me. Amongst referees and those who manage them, it really is unspeakable. A good proportion of the problems with VAR are down to the people using it looking after each other and subsequently themselves to the detriment of the game and yet here are the BBC pundits, gathered in the 19th hole in their golf leisureware chuckling at the antics of a man who has always shown an utter disregard for ruining football matches, providing it fuels his own narcissism.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I thought that it was a well taken goal from Grealish who is a special player but it was poor defending by us as Webster was marking fresh air with nobody around him, Grealish did show the TYPE of midfielder we should be looking for, one who can defend and then 10 secs later be putting in a shot at the other end.

I am not sure the defending was the problem. It looks awful, if you run it from the moment the pass is played becuase he is in acres of space. He was gambling (or lazy) , as our side pushed up to recycle the ball and to be fair, the pass, his first touch and the finish were really top-notch - and if any of them hadn't quite been there, a goal doesn't get scored. The misplaced pass, causes us the issue so that the defence is caught out, advancing and of position. Webster gets pulled across because Dunk is advanced and taken out of the game. You can argue the point from a "styles of play" perspective, that maybe Montoya could have been holding his ground at that stage of the game (see other threads), but at the same time, he has made himself available assuming that we will switch the play from Mooy's back pass. More a case of Villa taking full advantage of a turnover (as we did) rather than the defending being poor?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Grealish did show the TYPE of midfielder we should be looking for, one who can defend and then 10 secs later be putting in a shot at the other end.

The other example you COULD have used, was when he had a shot, didn't rush back, and 10 seconds later WE were putting the ball in their net.. :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Both MOTD & MOTD2 irritated the hell out of me this weekend with their chummy 'isn't he a character?' eye rolling appreciation of The Complete And Utter Shyster. No he isn't a character, he is arrogant, dismissive and, more often than not, very bad at his job. He acts like a parent or boss who makes bad snap decisions based on gut instinct and, when challenged, doubles down to convince himself that he is still in charge. Supporters of every team can produce examples of when his total incompetence and arrogant pigheadedness has ruined football matches and yet there he still is, 500 games in.

The clubiness in football often annoys me. Amongst referees and those who manage them, it really is unspeakable. A good proportion of the problems with VAR are down to the people using it looking after each other and subsequently themselves to the detriment of the game and yet here are the BBC pundits, gathered in the 19th hole in their golf leisureware chuckling at the antics of a man who has always shown an utter disregard for ruining football matches, providing it fuels his own narcissism.

Well said. The man's a childish prick.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Extended interview with the opposition manager on OUR pitch regarding his view of the game.

Bizarre.

It was embarrassingly cringeworthy wasn't it? The Watford show. Pearson with his back handed compliments and a Palace T##t saying he didn't think we would ever score.

FFS

Edit: I don't normally bother with the usual threads about MOTD bias

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It was embarrassingly cringeworthy wasn't it? The Watford show. Pearson with his back handed compliments and a Palace T##t saying he didn't think we would ever score.

FFS

I don't think we need to worry - no-one in their right mind would have bothered watching motd tonight other than Everton fans and the odd fan of Watford and bha

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think we need to worry - no-one in their right mind would have bothered watching motd tonight other than Everton fans and the odd fan of Watford and bha

I agree mate but it was still up there in a "David Brent" way of cringe.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Extended interview with the opposition manager on OUR pitch regarding his view of the game.

Bizarre.

It’s because Potter is so boring. The media like personalities. The public like personalities. Graham says nothing each week in an equally monotone voice. Oh, and no one knows who he is which doesn’t help.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Thought that was quite a disturbing appearance by Pearson. Looked every inch a person battling to just about keep highly aggressive impulses under control. It won't last

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Bizarre.

Particularly when he was asked to comment on what we did right in the second half, which he turned into talking about Watford (naturally)
Can only assume Potter declined to be interviewed next to the psycopath, after doing him out of a much needed win, with a lucky goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here