Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What's the atmosphere like where you sit?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
In with the NSK under the police box singing and you’re thinking “this sounds decent/loud.” Sit a bit away from it and you realise it’s not that audible.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Is it strange, wanting a better atmosphere?

No, not strange to want it, strange to worry about it. how will you affect it ? Other than dressing all in black and getting a megaphone to orchestrate it. Or get a drum perhaps?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

NS Block G, I thought was pretty good yesterday. Around us are all sorts.. right next to me a young lad (7ish) and his parents - that has put a little lid on my noise levels, (depending on lyrics!) Mixed in with a load of "football experts" who are joyous when we score, "moany" when things are frustrating and a few who are apoplectic throughout, "get rid of it" and "dont just hoof it" depending on what we are doing! can't hear the NSK songs from out block unless, by coincidence, a song is not being sung at our end.. The trouble is both sections start a song at the same time at typical singing opportunities in the game.. Can't see it changing and it is what it is - when its good, its good, when its rubbish its rubbish and not very different to most other clubs. I don think we are becoming more diffoicult to please as a fan-base attending the Amex - I think frustration that we are almost a very good side, but not quite yet, is giving some a sense of panic unnecessarily!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Palace , two seasons ago and no desire to return ,I could see the writing on the wall after Poyet departure,the whole experience is gash, plenty have jacked it in to be replaced with Barbers target customers
Regards
DF

The question was 'What is the atmosphere like...' If you haven't been for two years how can you answer the question?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm meaning to go to another home game this season. I've been thinking that maybe the bystander effect stops people singing along in notoriously quiet areas. I would love to sing my little heart out for most of the game, regardless where I sit. Even if I end up getting a ticket in, say, WSU. But if no one around me is joining in then I just feel self-conscious and keep schtum.

Respect to those in the quieter areas of the ground who try and rouse everyone around them, but if only a few others are willing to help, the atmosphere is just going to be restricted to a handful of rows in certain parts of the NS.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have sat in W1H a couple of times recently and found the lack of interest from those around me bizarre. It's not just that there's no singing, there's no nervousness or annoyance when the opposition attack either. It's almost as if they've come along to watch but have no desire to engage with what's happening on the pitch. One man seemed to spend most of the game on his phone describing where he was so his mate somewhere in the East could wave to him and he could wave back.

Fair summary......

Behind us yesterday we had two guys (one is a regular, the other I think shares a ST) who EVERY SINGLE TIME Stephens got the ball thought it was HILARIOUS to comment on whether he’d passed it back (“there you go......he’s done it again......FFS.....” etc) or forward (“bloody hell, he actually passed it forward....oooh, he can do it....”)

Quite a few of the seats around us aren’t STHs, certainly get a lot like you describe turning up (usually with big bags of merch from the club shop, filming non-stop on their phones, and asking when the subs go past warming up ‘which one is Murray’ etc).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All the old chants have died hardly hear a seagulls chant can’t stand the Liverpool version of Albion tbh always preferred going up to win the cup as more football related and everyone joined in, oh well least I have the memories.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The question was 'What is the atmosphere like...' If you haven't been for two years how can you answer the question?

I can imagine what the atmosphere is like where Ppf sits when the Brighton are playing. I really don't want a description :nono:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
No, not strange to want it, strange to worry about it. how will you affect it ? Other than dressing all in black and getting a megaphone to orchestrate it. Or get a drum perhaps?

Indeed. Always wonder why people keep starting threads about this. What makes people think they can try to change the fundamentally different ways people choose to support their team. Yes I used to love the the atmosphere of the old Goldstone North stand or behind the dug out at Withdean. But now I love my WSU seat for the brilliant view of the pattern of play. I can still vent my spleen and stand up at the exciting bits.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Goodison last week... I don't think an atmosphere can actually be worse than that place. They literally don't sing anything (and are always really shit when they come down here too)

I was going to say the same thing ... glad I decided to read all of the posts first! Was the same at Goodison last season. A good mate of mine is a season ticket holder there and I commented about how quiet they were ... he just shrugged his shoulders!

I've been able to get to a few away games this season - Bristol Rovers, Villa, Utd, City, Spurs, Liverpool ... will be at Bournemouth Tuesday. I was sat right next to the Villa fans - who were only really noisy after their two 'injury time' goals. For me only the Liverpool crowd kept the singing up most of the game (not just the Kop). City and Spurs were pretty disappointing.

I sit West Upper - Block F. A decent bunch of people around me - some of us join in with whatever the NS are singing.

Last edited:

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
All the old chants have died hardly hear a seagulls chant can’t stand the Liverpool version of Albion tbh always preferred going up to win the cup as more football related and everyone joined in, oh well least I have the memories.

This for me is half the problem. Don’t get me wrong I love the new chants and join in full force with the Withdean to Wembley, the Brightonovealbion, oh we love you, the Sussex boys and signing GOSBTS with the actual words etc, but I much preferred it and it was louder when we sung going up to win the cup. Time moves on and need new chants so it doesn’t become boring but got to keep the classics (that everyone, especially those that don’t or can’t go very often) going. You don’t hear the old Albion Albion Albion (to tune of here we go) as much as well as the old Seagulls chant too. Perhaps would be better to start with the classics and keep them as the main songs to sing to get people joining in then add in the new songs so people learn them and they become classics too. As opposed to it being the other way round and people are like I don’t know the words so can’t be arsed then when the odd old song is sung they’re already not very interested or already midflow talking about something.

The other half of the problem for me lies in the fact that nowadays so many fans like to be sat in amongst the atmosphere but do very little to help make it better, so that instantly dilutes the noise being created. Of course this is a problem in many grounds and the must have a season ticket culture of football today means that many who would make noise have to sit wherever they can get tickets.

I too remember afternoons being stood on the old North Stand or sat in the West or South Stand at the Goldstone and you could hear little being done to get behind the stripes, but at least then it was a pretty much a given that you only went in the North Stand if you was going to make some noise.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This for me is half the problem. Don’t get me wrong I love the new chants and join in full force with the Withdean to Wembley, the Brightonovealbion, oh we love you, the Sussex boys and signing GOSBTS with the actual words etc, but I much preferred it and it was louder when we sung going up to win the cup. Time moves on and need new chants so it doesn’t become boring but got to keep the classics (that everyone, especially those that don’t or can’t go very often) going. You don’t hear the old Albion Albion Albion (to tune of here we go) as much as well as the old Seagulls chant too. Perhaps would be better to start with the classics and keep them as the main songs to sing to get people joining in then add in the new songs so people learn them and they become classics too. As opposed to it being the other way round and people are like I don’t know the words so can’t be arsed then when the odd old song is sung they’re already not very interested or already midflow talking about something.

The other half of the problem for me lies in the fact that nowadays so many fans like to be sat in amongst the atmosphere but do very little to help make it better, so that instantly dilutes the noise being created. Of course this is a problem in many grounds and the must have a season ticket culture of football today means that many who would make noise have to sit wherever they can get tickets.

I too remember afternoons being stood on the old North Stand or sat in the West or South Stand at the Goldstone and you could hear little being done to get behind the stripes, but at least then it was a pretty much a given that you only went in the North Stand if you was going to make some noise.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a hundred times; signing football songs is bad for atmosphere.....

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I was going to say the same thing ... glad I decided to read all of the posts first! Was the same at Goodison last season. A good mate of mine is a season ticket holder there and I commented about how quiet they were ... he just shrugged his shoulders!

I've been able to get to a few away games this season - Bristol Rovers, Villa, Utd, City, Spurs, Liverpool ... will be at Bournemouth Tuesday. I was sat right next to the Villa fans - who were only really noisy after their two 'injury time' goals. For me only the Liverpool crowd kept the singing up most of the game (not just the Kop). City and Spurs were pretty disappointing.

I sit West Upper - Block F. A decent bunch of people around me - some of us join in with whatever the NS are singing.

I sit in WSU Block F as well and I agree, a lot of us always join in when the NS get their collective act together...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I sit in the East Lower fairly near the halfway line - despite all the insults directed at this section there is actually a decent atmosphere. As regards singing then certainly all those around me seem to join in with GOSBTS, some much louder than others, and there is a general willingness to make a noise.

However when it comes to joining in with some of the chants and songs emanating from the North Stand this is virtually impossible. I don’t know whether it is the acoustics but trying to make out the words is virtually impossible. Difficult to join in when you don’t know what’s being sung!

The standard Albion, Seagulls, Murray Wonderland do get a response, everything else and it’s virtually silent.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It often gets mentioned that a dedicated 'singing section' would help. But basically, a seat free-for-all would maybe be the best thing to help create this naturally - which is probably one reason away games are noisier. And also, it would mean that people have to get into the stands a little bit earlier to get where the want, which helps with the pre-match build up, and so on. I suppose this is unlikely though what with the obsession with being able to identify everyone in a 30,000 crowd.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
North stand G block. Atmosphere can vary hugely from game to game. Sometimes you can almost touch the nervousness and it makes everything seem flat, other times it's fantastic. A period of constant attacks, loud opposition fans and perceived on field injustices all tend to improve things. Also tends to be better in the second half of matches. The tendency for the North to start two songs at the same time is annoying.

As a side note I wish we would slow down the tempo of GOSBTS once it gets to the chorus rather than trying to have a competition as to who can sign it fastest!

Also in an alternative universe copying the Bayern song where opposite sides of the stadium sing "Baaayyyeeerrnn" alternately would be brilliant.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Have to say atmosphere at the game yesterday didn't seem too bad. First half we were ok but second half belonged to Villa, their fans did get behind their team. Was in West lower, South near away support and they certainly went nuts when they scored. Our fans were animated at different points of the game. Sounded ok on MOTD highlights. Not a lot different from most other Premier League grounds IMHO. Probably not as noisy as one would like but then most clubs are similar so nothing to worry about.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It often gets mentioned that a dedicated 'singing section' would help. But basically, a seat free-for-all would maybe be the best thing to help create this naturally - which is probably one reason away games are noisier. And also, it would mean that people have to get into the stands a little bit earlier to get where the want, which helps with the pre-match build up, and so on. I suppose this is unlikely though what with the obsession with being able to identify everyone in a 30,000 crowd.

There isn’t a seat free for all at away games these days. Not with ticket sell outs. In the Premier league I have always stood in front of the seat on my ticket. More likely it is simply that standing is more conducive to making a noise or away crowds contain on average noisier supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here