Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Player Ratings vs Villa***

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Someone once said every player should start with a 6 base in ratings.

To me that’s utter bollocks, what are 0 to 5 for?

Jahanbakhsh - I don’t blame him in the slightest. It’s just that under my system of using the full 0 to 10, he simply couldn’t get into the match in his brief cameo, hence the 2.

I think we may have been watching different matches.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove

Jahanbakhsh - I don’t blame him in the slightest. It’s just that under my system of using the full 0 to 10, he simply couldn’t get into the match in his brief cameo, hence the 2.

Is this a wind up? Our 3 subs were Gross Montoya and Murray!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
May I take the opportunity to point out something that may have not been obvious to all the fans today. Propper was outstanding. Grealish had room to influence the game just once and that was only after Mooy's unfortunate error which led to the goal. Other than that, Propper made sure that that Grealish was shackled throughout the match, by others or himself. He played superbly as a senior pro, repeatedly glancing at Grealish, every 15 seconds or so, measuring distances from the nearest Albion player, stepping in when needed and ensuring Grealish was never truly free to do any damage apart from the goalscoring opportunity. No wonder Mooy looked so mortified. The plan nearly worked perfectly and in my opinion made Propper a better choice for Man of the Match.

Good post.....

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yes 100% agree with that....apart from Webster who I thought was a 6;

You 100% agree but you'd make a change to the ratings? You don't 100% agree then do you.

Disagree with most it seems in that I'd give Maupay a 7 - he made an effort and a nuisance of himself despite looking a bit off form and unable to control the ball. He was however instrumental in the goal and had the only other decent effort on target (v good save by Reina).

Webster a 6, his best performance for a while but still average.

Mooy a 5, his error cost the goal and not much came off for him (although understandable as they mobbed him whenever he had the ball).

No width from the Albion today meant lots of poor attempts at intricate passing through the middle, which they're not good enough to carry off.

Potter a 4, his tinkering is starting to annoy me.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012

:mad:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
First 45 - 100% spot on, Propper (with help) elimintated Grealish from the game, bar the time on the other flank where other players conspired to give Grealish a run in on goal.

Second 45 - Propper had run out of gas and did not do that. The Albion team gave Grealish the freedom of the Amex, Potter just stood there and allowed it.

It does feel Potter has lots to learn at this level, and we are part of his learning journey. Let’s hope it doesn’t take us down

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
May I take the opportunity to point out something that may have not been obvious to all the fans today. Propper was outstanding. Grealish had room to influence the game just once and that was only after Mooy's unfortunate error which led to the goal. Other than that, Propper made sure that that Grealish was shackled throughout the match, by others or himself. He played superbly as a senior pro, repeatedly glancing at Grealish, every 15 seconds or so, measuring distances from the nearest Albion player, stepping in when needed and ensuring Grealish was never truly free to do any damage apart from the goalscoring opportunity. No wonder Mooy looked so mortified. The plan nearly worked perfectly and in my opinion made Propper a better choice for Man of the Match.

Yep
Quiet class

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Ryan -6- don’t recall him making a save
Alzate -7- coped with Grealish well and offered an outlet on the right.
Webster -5- looks clumsy and stop passing the ball across our goal
Dunk -6- quiet game by his standards
Bernardo-8- MOTM - classy performance and his attitude to wining the ball even when falling to the ground was excellent
Propper -6- good first half but midfield went missing in 2nd half
Mooy -6- see propper
Stephens -8- been a critic of him before but today he was excellent . Made some good challenges and tracked back well
Trossard -6- good goal but looked tired in 2nd half
Connolly -5- reminiscent of CMS?
Maupay -7- was getting into space in between midfield and defence, decent effort on the volley and showed a bit of passion

Montoya -5- would need to see the Villa goal again but where was he ?
Murray -6- was at least trying and made a nuisance of himself
Gross -6- decent delivery of set pieces which was missing throughout the game

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Yep....absolute class, always in position to take a pass, always there when needed. A point well made during the match commentary.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I thought Propper was great today. There was one particular instance in the game I loved today. Second half Grealish charging up the left wing with Davy tracking him, caught him and outmuscled him to come out in front of him with the ball. Is it my imagination, or is Davy a littlemoremuscular recently.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I thought Propper was great today. There was one particular instance in the game I loved today. Second half Grealish charging up the left wing with Davy tracking him, caught him and outmuscled him to come out in front of him with the ball. Is it my imagination, or is Davy a littlemoremuscular recently.

He is. He also has that edge of well controlled spite that the best Dutch players seem to have.
Could've done with a couple more like Davy today, we're worryingly naive

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

He did that in the first half I think ( or did he do it in both halves?)

It was right in front of me in the north stand. Superb to watch.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Indeed and his jockeying with Grealish down the touchline where Propper came away with the ball was a highlight of his battling qualities today, Propper is good at finding time on the ball, and general ball skills but he seems to be adding a tougher edge to his game too now.

Edit did not see that [MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION] had already mentioned this

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ryan 7

Alzate 6.5
Webster 5 (vulnerable)
Dunk 4 - (vulnerable, some positional blunders that would’ve had us screaming for the head of Webster or Burn)
Bernardo 8 MOTM

Stephens 6.5
Propper 6.5
Mooy - 5 (marked by 3 players, an impossible job)
Trossard 6.5

Maupay 4 (preoccupied by tussles with opponents)
Connolly 3

Gross 4
Murray 4
Jahanbakhsh 2 (couldn’t get into the match)

Potter 2 (a shocking second 45 from the Hughton School of Nothingness. A very poor and costly day at the office).

Aj.....lol.
I, for one, will not let you forget this !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here