Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball failure?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree re those two, but doesn't change the fact we need to bring in an experienced, ready-to-go, striker NOW...

We have one. His name is Glenn Murray. Is Potter the tactical genius/coach that people think if he cant get the best out of him. Like I say Emporers New Clothes.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not really because they were both lacking in ability. Well, Locadia certainly was, Andone was like Maupay with a 2mm fuse.

Both can score goals and both have played a lot of football at the highest level. It still doesn't get away from my original point that both haven't been replaced.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not saying that. But this so called genius cant build a team or tactics to get the best out of the best striker we havw had in modern times.

Not even the best managers can fight the tide of time. Muzza is 36 now. Can't think of too many other 36 year old's playing up front in top level football. And there's a reason.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have loved the style of play that Potter has introduced. So much more positive and exciting than the turgid fayre served up by Hughton. I have been fully supportive of Potter so far (with the exception of his baffling decision to kick Andone out AFTER the transfer window had ended).

But now I'm worried.

- constant changes to the team. Why was Ali J dropped after he was at last showing us what he could do
- daft selections. Alzate's pace and creativity is totally wasted at right back
- defending a lead. Sending the team out for the second half with a negativity that was bemusing. The front players pressing high with the midfield dropping deeper and deeper. That is never going to work. Gave Villa way too much time and space
- substitutions. If we were going to try and win the game after Villa equalised then bringing on the two slowest players in the squad was not the way to do it

But my major concern now is Potter's apparent naivety in publicly stating that we do not need to bring players in to strengthen the squad this window. Now whether you are a Potter lover or detractor it is plain that our squad does not have the quality in depth. We desparately need a new centre forward. We needed a Murray replacement in the summer and didn't get one. If Giroud is still available we should be doing everything to get him. Yes, his wages will cost. But that cost needs to be balanced against the cost of relegation.

If Potter can't accept that he needs to strengthen the squad then he is watching something different to what I saw on Saturday. And that is the most worrying thing of all.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We have one. His name is Glenn Murray. Is Potter the tactical genius/coach that people think if he cant get the best out of him. Like I say Emporers New Clothes.

No, I am sad to say Muzza has gone way past his sell-by date... (I hope he proves me wrong)...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This (unfortunately)...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Lord Murray of Withdeanshire is getting closer to 37 than he is 36. I bet you can count on one hand how many strikers at that age have started and contributed consistently in the Premier League. I know the pun is on our manager's name, but he doesn't have an actual magic wand.

At least Hughton had 3-4 seasons before everyone started blaming him for everything. Same people I bet.

There is nothing wrong with what Potter is doing. He will make mistakes here and there but only the superfans think any managers are infallible

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Should’ve reacted with Bissouma or Gross on for Connolly by the 50th minute.

It was obvious the tide had turned, they’d packed midfield and that Connolly was a spent force.

Instead GP did a Hughton, nothing. Painful to watch, it was obvious they were going to score.

Yep. And even more worrying is whether we have been rumbled, and a way to play us has been worked out.

We have no width, and seemingly, no ability to switch to a system of using any width. It all comes through the middle, so you pack the midfield, over-run us in that area, as Villa and Everton have done in consecutive games, and watch our game plan disintegrate. We are slow to react by adding further numbers to the midfield, and never stretch the midfield by adding width.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
At least Hughton had 3-4 seasons before everyone started blaming him for everything. Same people I bet.

There is nothing wrong with what Potter is doing. He will make mistakes here and there but only the superfans think any managers are infallible

Only superfans think nothing is wrong with what Potter is doing. I would just hold back that opinion first for a bit longer.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

The pattern is exactly the same. Criticism of Hughton only started when we stopped going further up the table/leagues. Potter hasn't taken us any further up the table yet, despite having better players, so people are looking for why.

Please don't turn this into a pro vs anti debate. We are not at all polarised from conversations I've had. Everyone believes, that the average level of performance is better, and more entertaining, but we don't get it right every time, and when we don't people are bound to debate what went wrong, or what we'd have different. That's football.

The pattern is exactly the same. Criticism of Hughton only started when we stopped going further up the table/leagues. Potter hasn't taken us any further up the table yet, despite having better players, so people are looking for why.

Please don't turn this into a pro vs anti debate. We are not at all polarised from conversations I've had. Everyone believes, that the average level of performance is better, and more entertaining, but we don't get it right every time, and when we don't people are bound to debate what went wrong, or what we'd have different. That's football.

You've just repeated the same point I've made. I think Potter does make mistakes but that doesn't mean his overall project is in any way flawed

At the end of the day managers are only as good as the squads they have and given the transfer mistakes of the past few years Potter needed plenty of money to overhaul his - and he probably hasn't had enough yet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here