Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Massive Surge in Hotmail/Outlook Junk Mail

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Anyone else experiencing this of late? From getting little junk mail for decades I’m now getting around 20 a day, some of it straight into my inbox, slipping through the filters. Coincided with me signing up to WACCOE a few weeks back purely so I could view their forum, although I doubt that’s the reason...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A few weeks ago I started getting 1 or 2 new junkmail emails every minute.

This made it impossible to do any "have you checked your junkmail" checking if an expected email hadn't reached my inbox.

Then it just stopped. I assume it was an issue with the email service which they then fixed.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Anyone else experiencing this of late? From getting little junk mail for decades I’m now getting around 20 a day, some of it straight into my inbox, slipping through the filters. Coincided with me signing up to WACCOE a few weeks back purely so I could view their forum, although I doubt that’s the reason...

Yes I am !
I’m now getting over 150 junk emails a day into my junk mailbox and some are starting to creep into my main inbox too. It’s infuriating me.

I know it’s easy to bulk delete my junk mailbox but if anyone out there knows of a way I can stop these then I’d love to know.
I’ve tried blocking the senders but they all have random letters in the sender email address so this is proving pointless.

:tantrum:

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Yes I am !
I’m now getting over 150 junk emails a day into my junk mailbox and some are starting to creep into my main inbox too. It’s infuriating me.

I know it’s easy to bulk delete my junk mailbox but if anyone out there knows of a way I can stop these then I’d love to know.
I’ve tried blocking the senders but they all have random letters in the sender email address so this is proving pointless.

:tantrum:

There's not really a way, as it's down to Microsoft's spam filters to identify malicious or spam email and stop it reaching people's mailboxes.

Only option would be to switch to GMail (and add a forwarder on your Hotmail/Outlook mailbox), as Google's spam filtering is much better.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Yes, me too. Up until a few months ago, I was getting one every couple of days. Now I'm getting up to two dozen in one day. Many of them appear to be from Japanese domains (...@blah.jp). Either companies are selling my email address, or it's just the result of data breaches and emails being transferred across the dark web.

Either way, what little innocence I thought I had has now vanished after reading the subject headings.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yes, was fine up to about 2 months ago and now getting up to 20 a day. Have no idea what's triggered it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My email address has been in one or two of the data breaches. This means a number of fraudsters have it.

I even had a fake blackmail email quoting an old password.

I get up to 20 junk emails a day. And some from legitimate names in my address book- except that the actual email they come from is different. Someone clearly hacked me at some stage. I have a different password now so it's just a minor irritant from what may have been the Adobe hack.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We use outlook at work (though have our own domain). We're finding a lot of our emails being sent externally to gmail and hotmail addresses are wrongly being put into people's spam folders.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
My email account was ages old and included my name, I was receiving multiple 'JUNK' messages every day so eventually bit the bullet and,

set up new email account which didn't reference my name in any way and touch wood has been way better !

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
This thread is a bit of a tease - I thought it was going to be about Sheff W supporters response to losing 5-0 at home today!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s pretty much the only mail I get. All work communications are through WhatsApp or Parim so pretty much the only use I have e for email are the odd banking confirmation. I hate opening the thing as I have to wade through hundreds of spam mails.
Does anybody really use email these days?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have not noticed any real increase other than the ramping up of Ali Express offers thanks to making the odd mistake and buying some things direct from China. I also do regularly get dodgy e-mails from people on my contacts list who have been hacked but they are easy to spot, most are timed in between midnight and about 7 am and I know for a fact that none of my contacts are even awake at that time.

My only other bugbear is Halfords, they tend to like to e-mail guarantees for items purchased at their stores and once they have your e-mail they tend not to miss out on informing me of the multitudinal " Great Deals" they have.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have not noticed any real increase other than the ramping up of Ali Express offers thanks to making the odd mistake and buying some things direct from China. I also do regularly get dodgy e-mails from people on my contacts list who have been hacked but they are easy to spot, most are timed in between midnight and about 7 am and I know for a fact that none of my contacts are even awake at that time.

My only other bugbear is Halfords, they tend to like to e-mail guarantees for items purchased at their stores and once they have your e-mail they tend not to miss out on informing me of the multitudinal " Great Deals" they have.

I agree with what you say but don't you think it is disgusting that the confidentiality, irrespective of whether or not one declines the 'our partners etc thing' , one expects in dealing with an on line supplier of goods, is seldom, if ever, respected ?

The issue of 'cookies' is completely farcical as it apparently allows your details to be passed on to other organisations for 'marketing' purposes. :ffsparr:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I agree with what you say but don't you think it is disgusting that the confidentiality, irrespective of whether or not one declines the 'our partners etc thing' , one expects in dealing with an on line supplier of goods, is seldom, if ever, respected ?

The issue of 'cookies' is completely farcical as it apparently allows your details to be passed on to other organisations for 'marketing' purposes. :ffsparr:

TBH everywhere we go online leaves a trail and there are so many ways of tracking that. The computer tech is so advanced these days that we are all compromised to varying degrees, if you have any doubts about that, look at the targeted advertising that you are receiving on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here