Date: Saturday 18th January 2020
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Andrew Madley
Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Simon Beck
Fourth official: Matthew Donohue
VAR: Stuart Attwell
Assistant VAR: Richard West

TEAM NEWS

Brighton's Aaron Mooy has recovered from the knee problem that caused him to miss last week's defeat at Everton.

Shane Duffy, Adam Webster and Alireza Jahanbakhsh have overcome minor issues.

Former Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina is poised to make his first Premier League appearance since May 2013 after joining Aston Villa on loan.

Matt Targett and Bjorn Engels should be fit to return but Jonathan Kodjia is in talks about a move elsewhere and will not be involved.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Steve Wilson: Villa's crushing defeat at the hands of Manchester City on Sunday might have set the alarm bells ringing, but a drubbing like that is always a possibility against City. It's the defeat to relegation rivals Watford which they cannot afford to repeat.

To be fair to Dean Smith's side, they have taken a very decent 14 points from the eight games they have played so far against the other clubs in the bottom seven - and I still think they will stay up.

I feel the same about Brighton - but this is the start of a run of four games for the Seagulls against teams currently below them, and they will need to make them count.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Graham Potter rejects suggestions this is a 'six-pointer': "I think it is a dangerous way of looking at it. Because if we win, or Villa win, and it is the only win we get [for the rest of the season] then we are in trouble, that's the reality.

"It is about getting the points over the season. That doesn't change but as the season goes on the external pressure and the noise is heightened."

Aston Villa head coach Dean Smith: "We're now coming up against teams who are in and around us in the league. They're all massive games for us.

"We had a poor performance at Watford, we changed it around, got a really good performance at Burnley and Leicester in the cup and then a poor performance against the double league champions.

"It's important we put it behind us and stick it in a concrete box and bury it 6ft underground."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have gone nine league and cup games without beating Aston Villa since a 1-0 top-flight home win in December 1980 (D3, L6).
    [*=left]Villa have already beaten Brighton twice this season: 3-1 in the League Cup at the Amex Stadium and 2-1 at Villa Park in the Premier League.
    [*=left]This is their first top-flight meeting on the south coast since a goalless draw at the Goldstone Ground in March 1983.
Albion

• [*=left]Albion's only victory in seven league matches came against Bournemouth last month (D3, L3).
    [*=left]Their tally of 24 points after 22 fixtures is two fewer than at this stage last season under Chris Hughton.
    [*=left]Brighton have never won a Premier League match in January, drawing four and losing six.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have lost five of their past seven Premier League fixtures against promoted opposition, winning once.
    [*=left]Their only defeat this season against teams currently below them in the table came at Villa in October (W3, D2).
    [*=left]Neal Maupay, Brighton's top scorer in the Premier League this season with seven goals, has gone five appearances in the division without scoring.
Aston Villa

• [*=left]Dean Smith's side have lost six of their past eight league matches, conceding 21 goals.
    [*=left]However, they are vying to earn successive Premier League away wins for the first time since September 2014.
    [*=left]All but one of the 21 points earned by Villa have come against sides currently in the bottom half of the table.
    [*=left]Aston Villa have faced 18.5 shots per game on average in the Premier League this season, the most in a campaign since Reading's 18.6 in 2012-13.
    [*=left]They have gone 18 Premier League away fixtures without a clean sheet since a 0-0 draw at West Brom on 23 January 2016.
    [*=left]Jack Grealish has scored in three successive games against Brighton in all competitions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
soccerstreams100(dot)tv
soccerstreams(dot)net

Now don't go making the thread look untidy asking for streams all over the shop.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
soccerstreams100(dot)tv
soccerstreams(dot)net

Now don't go making the thread look untidy asking for streams all over the shop.

Add Hesgoal to that.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Had a really vivid dream that Gross had a blinder last night.

Probably won't play now.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Haven't been on an official match thread in yonks.

Up early with the kids and I'm already getting excited about this one. A proper match against a decent team. Jackie G doing his best socks down maestro routine, to no avail.

I predict a rousing home win to nil.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Must win. Must make some noise.

At the risk of turning in to Crodo, let's show Gpott and the boys that we care. About time the players responded to the crowd rather than vice versa. :O

Oh, and if someone puts Grealish in to row Z early on, that'd be dandy.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Must win. Must make some noise.

At the risk of turning in to Crodo, let's show Gpott and the boys that we care. About time the players responded to the crowd rather than vice versa. :O

Oh, and if someone puts Grealish in to row Z early on, that'd be dandy.

Exactly this.

My concern is that too often we do not turn up in the big games against our fellow strugglers. Hopefully not so today and we will come out fighting, show inventiveness in the final third and pepper the Villa goal with shots. Looking forward to the game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
****ing come on boys!!!

:O

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am unusually nervous about this game. Looking at the long game I’m going for must not lose over must win.

Hoping that we blow them away a la the Norwich 5-0

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
For the first time in quite a while I'm quite nervous about today's game. A win would be huge, defeat would make the table very grim reading

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I reckon

Ryan

Alzate, Webster, Duffy, March
Mooy, Bissouma, Propper
Maupay, Connolly, Jahanbakhsh

You may think I'm joking, but with GP you can never be sure, can you :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here