Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swansman "vs." Paul Barber

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Paul Barber has the patience of a saint.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I believe Swansman is Swedish and as such maybe doesn't catch all our sarcasm, irony or exaggerations. His email was misguided but not malicious. Most of his contributions have been good (both knowledgeable and stuff we didn't know). I personally think his ban is OTT as I've seen much worse stuff on here go unpunished.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I believe Swansman is Swedish and as such maybe doesn't catch all our sarcasm, irony or exaggerations. His email was misguided but not malicious. Most of his contributions have been good (both knowledgeable and stuff we didn't know). I personally think his ban is OTT as I've seen much worse stuff on here go unpunished.
I
I tend do agree, he seems to always be willing to help with questions on Potterball. I think you are right he doesn't grasp our way of communication and dialogue. At worst I would describe him as over helpful. He did the wrong thing emailing PB on what he though was our behalf but I am sure PB has received numerous similar questions from some of us.
Release Swansman I say.......realease him:kiss:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
*Gullsworth* Release Swansman I say.......realease him:kiss:[/QUOTE said:

I agree "Free Swansman"

And while your at it. "Free Deirdre Barlow if she isn't out yet either.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Free the Sweden One !

:albion2:

0451ee73045cbd43c5f7857f6dc05427.jpg

Hopefully he can be freed in time to comment post match!

He is innocent (although misguided)!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Well, I've just read all 23 pages which has gone from a Monty Python style witch burning, to a chat about bands - then to a backlash against the backlash, and now the pitch forks have been laid down there's a growing sense of normality... A calm after the storm.

Should [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] have garnered the thoughts of a few, then presented them to the CEO demanding answers - given he's never been to the Amex and isn't a fan? Absolutely not. Utter bellendery in it's unrefined form. What was he thinking? :shrug: I suspect he wasn't...

Should he have had the ban? Yes, very much - to protect him from himself. Time to reflect methinks.

Is he welcome back on here? If he holds his hands up, admits it was very stupid, then winds his neck in, I'd have thought so? What he did was stupid, but not malicious or vindictive in my opinion.

Finally - fair play to Mr Barber for even replying. Kudos to him for that.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I've emailed PB a couple of times since his time here when I felt it necessary. Once over a ticket balls-up and another to bring to his attention, some shysters who were producing Albion snide knock offs. (awaits accusations of grass) Both times he responded quickly. I've not always agreed with some of his views, but his PR has always been good. But seriously, when he receives stuff like that? It's off the cringeometer scale. Some employment requires answering ridiculous questions whilst biting your tongue and being pleasant to idiots.(Been there) PB must have a higher tolerance than many.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
You can’t ban Swansman for being weird.
If being weird was a NSC yellow card offence most of us would be holding back on tackles.

Someone said that Paul Barber generally replies to emails, so I sent him a wall of text that I won't post here as a few here would be offended.

I explained I'm an outsider who has never visited Brighton and thanked him and the club for the good job they're (seemingly) doing, and then I brought up some "commonly mentioned issues" that I've noticed around here. I am a curious person and wanted to try how easy it is to communicate with the club.

Few hours later - response from Barber! I dont know if this is interesting or if theres any perspectives from Barber that could be considered new or unexpected, but here it is - a summarizedversion of my "suggestions" and the responses from Barber.

Many supporters feel that "Ring of Fire" is perhaps not the best pre-match music
Barber: "we review our match day build-up and music choices before every season. It doesn’t just have to work for fans in the stadium, it has to work with our players and coaches’ requirements too, and also fit with strict timings determined by the Premier League and its broadcast partners. I agree that it is time to re-fresh it soon, and I’m sure that will happen in the summer ahead of our 10th anniversary season at the Amex."

Many supporters feel the stewarding is a bit rough and could loosen up a little
Barber: "our stewarding isn’t “harsh” at all. In fact, it is rated as amongst the very best in the Premier League. We will not tolerate any kind of abusive or discriminatory behaviour - and I’m afraid that won’t change. With a very tiny percentage of our fans represented on social media, it’s very mis-leading indeed to use it to judge our stewarding or anything else about the club. I suspect your opinion will be very different after visiting."

Some supporters feel a bit worried about expressing their enthusiasm to the fullest while at the AMEX
Barber:"in excess of 27,000 Brighton fans at the Amex for each home game have plenty of opportunity and freedom to generate a great atmosphere at the stadium, as they have done on many occasions since we opened in 2011. Sometimes that atmosphere comes from the team’s performance, other times it is the atmosphere generated by the fans that inspires the team’s performance. It is always a 2-way street".

The aforementioned sometimes occuring perceptions doesnt matter much now now but if the football side to it starts failing, there could be friction between the club and its fans if stewarding etc. remains harsh, and the risk of a future possible "anti-fan" image could damage the club
Barber: "having won “best fan experience” in the Premier League for each of our first two seasons playing at this level, we are a very long way from a reputation as an “anti-fan club” – to be frank, I have never heard such rubbish! The true “vast majority” of fans are, according to fan surveys – which are completed by many thousands of fans each season and after each home match – are very happy with the club’s stewarding."

Some people - actually maybe only me - feel that while you are a great communicator, occurances of language like "we are proud to treat our fans as customers" is a bit alienating - it is as if your church or your wife would call you "a customer" rather than a believer or husband.
Barber: thank you for your feedback on communication. I’m afraid it’s impossible to please everyone all the time in this job! The vast majority of our fans want to be recognised as “fans” and treated as “customers”. That is how our staff are expected to think - and act. We are a growing football club, a developing business, and a significant community asset. We therefore communicate with multiple stakeholders all the time.

Great to see him reply, I'm guessing that in about 19 of the other PL clubs it would be pretty hard to get any type of thought through answer, especially not after just a few hours.

You are quite odd, it must be said. Entertaining read though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here