Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Friday Debate - HAND WASHING

What is the correct way to wash your hands?

• Soap first

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Water first

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Depends on the type of soap

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • I'm in the WSU so I don't bother washing my hands

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When I was growing up in the 70s my parents taught me the correct order for hand washing was water first, then soap. Possibly, however, this was because the soap in question was the height of "luxury" - a hard bar of Imperial Leather. My wife has always believed it is soap first, then water and this is what she has taught the kids, but she always gets the liquid hand wash soaps.

Last night, travelling home on a Gatwick Express I found myself caught short for a NUMBER ONE and had to use the KERMIT. To my surprise, having done the deed, the sink on these things enforces my wife's way of working. It is literally impossible to press the water dispenser without having used the soap dispenser first. Gatwick Express firmly believe it's soap first. Are they right? NSC decides...........

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've gone back to soaps now to avoid further plastic bottles cluttering our waste. You can now get soap shampoo.

This question totally depends on the state of the soap. If the soap is already wet, you don't need to waste water wetting your hands. Dry soap, you're going to need a bit of water.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Thing with liquid soap is you have to push down the nozzle dealy-bob. If you do this before washing your hands then you run the risk of transferring "material" to the nozzle dealy-bob. Makes you think, how many other people have pushed the nozzle dealy-bob before washing their hands? How many other dirty, filthy people? Hmm?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thing with liquid soap is you have to push down the nozzle dealy-bob. If you do this before washing your hands then you run the risk of transferring "material" to the nozzle dealy-bob. Makes you think, how many other people have pushed the nozzle dealy-bob before washing their hands? How many other dirty, filthy people? Hmm?

....and if you do the tap first same happens :shrug:

....for info I do water first come what may

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Real dirty, filthy people won't have washed their hands..........and in any event, the very next thing you do after pushing the nozzle is.....was your hands :lolol::lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When I’m out of the house I carry a little bottle of hand sanitiser so I don’t have to faff with queuing for the hand dryers (which are environmentally harmful) and more effective at killing off germs.

At home, we use bars of soap.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When I was growing up in the 70s my parents taught me the correct order for hand washing was water first, then soap. Possibly, however, this was because the soap in question was the height of "luxury" - a hard bar of Imperial Leather. My wife has always believed it is soap first, then water and this is what she has taught the kids, but she always gets the liquid hand wash soaps.

Last night, travelling home on a Gatwick Express I found myself caught short for a NUMBER ONE and had to use the KERMIT. To my surprise, having done the deed, the sink on these things enforces my wife's way of working. It is literally impossible to press the water dispenser without having used the soap dispenser first. Gatwick Express firmly believe it's soap first. Are they right? NSC decides...........

Did you adopt the no-hands Partridge manoeuvre?

(From 2:00 in the below, although the first 2 mins are worth a watch also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IZttD_pU8

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have those battery operated soap dispensers at home, that you just put your hands under (before turning on the water) and soap is dispensed.They work really well, aside from the one in the kitchen, if you are not careful a large pan in the sink can set it off.

Order sorted.
No touch sorted.
Packaging fail

I still buy pump dispenser soap and bottles of shampoo/shower gel/conditioner. You can currently buy good quality stuff that is cheap and there is definitely a market for premium virtue signalling. I will look to change, when I think the right products are available at the right price.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
At home we have soap dispensers.
So upper arm on dispenser, depositing soap in other hand.
Then the same upper arm to turn hot tap on, wash hands.
Dry hands, job done.
I always carry a small antibacterial gel wash on ones self, as you never know what these lower class khazi's are like. Especially in UB10 :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here