Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Saracens Face Relegation If They Can't Sort Salary Issue Out Quickly

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'There is widespread belief they will once more struggle to get under the £7m limit this season'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

Not sure what to think really. Especially as the cap is likely to be raised.

For many years we suspected something wasn't right. But all this is a shame for their supporters.

Not sure Exeter will have quite such a conciliatory view.

Update: Nigel Wray has resigned as club director

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-uni...nvestors-and-resigns-as-club-director-1367644

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
'There is widespread belief they will once more struggle to get under the £7m limit this season'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

Not sure what to think really. Especially as the cap is likely to be raised.

For many years we suspected something wasn't right. But all this is a shame for their supporters.

Not sure Exeter will have quite such a conciliatory view.

Update: Nigel Wray has resigned as club director

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-uni...nvestors-and-resigns-as-club-director-1367644

Their supporters got to enjoy all the glory their dodginess bought

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the original thread a few of us pointed out that the original points penalty imposed was a bit soft as Saracens would still be likely to avoid relegation this year.

That's all changed with this!

It would be good to see the EFL adopt a similarly tough stance for the cheaters.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I cannot imagine them holding on to most of their players if they do go down. It would give England players the opportunity to go abroad and earn the big money, and still be back in the England team in time for the next World Cup.

I don't think their is any pleasure to be taken from Saracens' current situation, however I completely understand where Exeter are coming from. Although Saracens' were the worst offenders, I do wonder other clubs may be found guilty of exceeding the salary cap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They've done the wrong thing, but now it seems they're going to be relegated anyway, in which case they've been ****ed over because they've been fielding weakened sides in Europe in the hope of making up the 35 point penalty in the domestic league.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is it ok to find people getting angry about egg chasing funny?

Asking for an EGG.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
On the original thread a few of us pointed out that the original points penalty imposed was a bit soft as Saracens would still be likely to avoid relegation this year.

That's all changed with this!

It would be good to see the EFL adopt a similarly tough stance for the cheaters.
Egg lover.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A day after finding out they've been relegated from the Premier League they play one of Europe's finest in Racing 92, they lose Billy Vunipola to a suspected broken forearm, they concede an intercept try, have a man sent off (and all before half-time), yet still find a way to win and possibly scrape into the European Cup Quarter Finals.

I know the management have let the club down and the club must be punished but these players are something special. That victory was sport at its finest.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
A day after finding out they've been relegated from the Premier League they play one of Europe's finest in Racing 92, they lose Billy Vunipola to a suspected broken forearm, they concede an intercept try, have a man sent off (and all before half-time), yet still find a way to win and possibly scrape into the European Cup Quarter Finals.

I know the management have let the club down and the club must be punished but these players are something special. That victory was sport at its finest.

Yep, outstanding

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Absolutely. But that's kind of the point isn't it? Without the salary cap infringements it seems fair to say that Saracens wouldn't have such an extensive pool of incredible players.

Not necessarily aiming this at you, but I'm hearing a lot of "the games weren't rigged, Saracens have been one of the best teams of all time" being pulled out as some sort of a semi-defence of the club. Whereas it's an irrelevancy to the state they find themselves in.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Nope it was a bunch of cheats prospering

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely. But that's kind of the point isn't it? Without the salary cap infringements it seems fair to say that Saracens wouldn't have such an extensive pool of incredible players.

Not necessarily aiming this at you, but I'm hearing a lot of "the games weren't rigged, Saracens have been one of the best teams of all time" being pulled out as some sort of a semi-defence of the club. Whereas it's an irrelevancy to the state they find themselves in.

Their academy is so good it produces some of the best players in the world yet is obliged to offload them to stay within a salary cap that is peanuts compared to the French league. Farrell, George, Kruis, Itoje, Goode, just some of the excellent players that came through more than 4 years ago that have won al the club honours going.

I know there are extensions to the cap if you produce home grown talent but the cap does not allow for clubs that excel at producing quality players. I do agree that signing Elliott Daly and Liam Williams was talking the piss though.

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Their academy is so good it produces some of the best players in the world yet is obliged to offload them to stay within a salary cap that is peanuts compared to the French league. Farrell, George, Kruis, Itoje, Goode, just some of the excellent players that came through more than 4 years ago that have won al the club honours going.

I know there are extensions to the cap if you produce home grown talent but the cap does not allow for clubs that excel at producing quality players. I do agree that signing Elliott Daly and Liam Williams was talking the piss though.

Agreed, but whilst the academy players are the headline grabbers (especially to people who only really watch England), Saracens have paid some serious overseas talent to supplement that over the last 5-6 years as well.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm not an egg chaser but find it incredible the way things are 'accepted' in rugby. No arguing with the ref and now a team relegated. It's the correct decision, but in football it would takes years (QPR) before the governing body gave up.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I got the chance to see my first live rugby union game today, Saracens v Newcastle Falcons.
Totally different atmosphere compared to footy, but enjoyable all the same.
Saracens seem firmly settled now compared to their previous history.

el punal

I seem to remember that when the list of all Pompey’s creditors was published they owed Southampton F.C. £67 for hiring training cones and ball net thingys. Pompey had to train at the pitches on Stoneham Lane, maybe the University of Southampton facilities. I think I got all that right.

I suppose that’s as embarrassing as Crystal Palace staff wanting to use our bogs, oh, wait a minute . . . didn’t they . . . :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here