Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] We're now halfway through the winter. But where is it?

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Met Office counts winter as these three calendar months, so we have just entered the second half of it. Im middle aged but cant remember going anywhere near as far into winter with hardly any frosts. Its basically still Autumn, and if it stays like this how will the daffodils know when to come up??

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
On 31st December I still had last year's tomato plants producing fruit in the sun room and a couple of next (this) year's daffs out in the garden.

Basically, winter has disappeared up its own jacksie.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
My fault. I bought a windscreen protector, not had a single frost since... Stupid thing still in its wrapper on the back seat.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My fault. I bought a windscreen protector, not had a single frost since... Stupid thing still in its wrapper on the back seat.

I got some really expensive waterproof trousers from a Millets' closing down sale with about a year of Withdean left. Never used them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well timed thread this....

33b2eb4ff43810864a4dd1111cb51206.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
Met Office counts winter as these three calendar months, so we have just entered the second half of it. Im middle aged but cant remember going anywhere near as far into winter with hardly any frosts. Its basically still Autumn, and if it stays like this how will the daffodils know when to come up??

I'm sure there was a winter a few years ago where we didn't get any minus temperatures at all. Daffodils were definitely about this time last year as I've got a photo of the dog sitting next to them which came up on my google photo memories today.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm sure there was a winter a few years ago where we didn't get any minus temperatures at all. Daffodils were definitely about this time last year as I've got a photo of the dog sitting next to them which came up on my google photo memories today.

Possibly 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I was in Worthing today and either saw a Christmas tree still up or put up very very early! Everything goes tits up this time of year - not just the weather!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Daffs are all through in my garden. a few are even opening.
Also plenty of squirrels in the trees which are normally not so active in the winter.

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
I'm sure that when I was a youngster growing up in Brighton in the late 70's and early 80's that winters were much colder, went on for longer and were also much snowier but I wonder if this really was the case or whether I'm just fondly looking back through snow tinted spectacles!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's arriving here in the next few hours (low of -13C tonight). Do you want me to send some over?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here