Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I played my first football in 3 years this evening...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Keep it up, I packed up 11-a-side competitive at 49 (due to a broken ankle) and still play 7-a-side twice a week, played last night (aged 58).

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I had a go at walking football I'm 60 and really enjoyed it unfortunately I picked up a shoulder injury so not played for a few months

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I managed to play until I was 49, really wanted to make it to 50, but fell a little short... had played men’s Sunday League football from the age of 14, so don’t think 35 years was too sad!

Keep wanting to have “one more game” but not sure anyone will give a try out to a 60 (nearly) year old centre back..!

Definitely give walking football a go. We play three-touch, and some of the passing moves are lovely! You'll really get into it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
And I loved it.

38 (very nearly 39) and I still got very excited. I love it.

There’s still some magic left in these Del Piero (esque) legs.

We won 8-7.

The point is, if you’re of a similar vintage it’s (providing you’re reasonably healthy) never too late. I know the Uber fit brigade will be like... so what?!?... we’ll i’m relatively new to the area, and had to make contact with a local football coach to get involved and turn up tonight to play with a bunch of strangers... that takes balls. Thankfully it went well.

Ultimately I want to keep fit and my little Albion supporting 6 year was so proud when I was getting ready tonight, that’s a wonderful feeling. Truly.

Needless to say i’ll be going back next week.

Fortune favours the brave and slightly insane.

Obviously it goes without saying that I would destroy the Liverpool of the 80s, and the 2020s at the same time.

Kosh
You busy Saturday?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
And I loved it.

38 (very nearly 39) and I still got very excited. I love it.

There’s still some magic left in these Del Piero (esque) legs.

We won 8-7.

The point is, if you’re of a similar vintage it’s (providing you’re reasonably healthy) never too late. I know the Uber fit brigade will be like... so what?!?... we’ll i’m relatively new to the area, and had to make contact with a local football coach to get involved and turn up tonight to play with a bunch of strangers... that takes balls. Thankfully it went well.

Ultimately I want to keep fit and my little Albion supporting 6 year was so proud when I was getting ready tonight, that’s a wonderful feeling. Truly.

Needless to say i’ll be going back next week.

Fortune favours the brave and slightly insane.

Obviously it goes without saying that I would destroy the Liverpool of the 80s, and the 2020s at the same time.

Kosh

Where do you play? What league etc? I am looking for something for those in their 40s plus. I did play 11 a side and pitch invasion for years but that becomes disheartening when you are getting the run around from 18 year olds.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Im approaching 54. Still play 6 aside twice a week. Its the only exercise I remotely enjoy.

Its difficult to keep up with the youngsters, but as long as I enjoy myself and importantly put in the effort for the team, then its all good. Love the banter as well.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'd love to get back into playing some form again - at 34 i've still got a mile or two left in the legs. Not enough to keep up with the local village side but something evening based would be perfect. Sadly, living in the sticks means a bit of a travel, but that's not a massive problem.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I'm 54 and play 5 aside most weeks and I still love it, been lucky on the injury front nothing major, but the real gotcha is how long it takes for the body to recovery from even minor niggles.
I am far from athletic carrying a few extra stone but I feel the benefit and by adapting my game from a more physical to mental game it helps extend how long I play. I now have to think as much as run.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Every Sunday morning, 10.30 am BHASVIC field. Everyone welcome. Jumpers for goal posts, friendly game with banter to match and no one will moan when you get it wrong. Full ninety minutes. Run around as little or as much as you like. If you need to go home early, or can only do one half, no one cares. We age from sixteen to sixty four - sixty five when Not Andy Naylor turns up!
Just turn up. You will be made to feel really welcome.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I started again at the age of 46 - hadn't really played since i was 14 and i'm still going at 53.
Its just a bunch of forty/fifty and one sixtysomething Dads , once a week , playing an hour of 6-7 a side, sometimes a few teenage / young lads along for the ride and the chance to run rings the unfit old blokes.
its one of the best things I do of a week and i guess i now organise it. I hire the pitch (Oathall in Lindfield) and collect the fees / bring along a few balls/bibs. Heartily recommended if you know of a game and want to join in or thinking of setting one up for your friends. You'll be surprised how many people , if asked, will fancy a game. My experience is that players are very accommodating however "good" you are and its a great way of keeping fit, making friends etc.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I just played 4 a side with my boys U15 Futsal team and then 5 a side with my team. 5.30 - 9.00. I am going to be sore tomorrow morning.

Brilliant fun though

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd love to get back into playing some form again - at 34 i've still got a mile or two left in the legs. Not enough to keep up with the local village side but something evening based would be perfect. Sadly, living in the sticks means a bit of a travel, but that's not a massive problem.

Felpham or Angmering any good, that's where I play.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My legs hurt - oddly it’s my arse which appears to be very stiff ... hmmmm.

Lots of great replies, too many to respond to individually. Thanks to all - some inspirational stuff.

I’ve bought some new 3G boots this morning - so i’m all in.

To answer a few questions - I was playing in the Alnwick Town over 35s training match... hence we’re all slow mo compared to the kids ... we expect to set up a few slightly competitive matches this season, as there isn’t a local division we can enter.

Yes, if GP needs me to show Montoya how to be a wingback then i’m In - just so long as my boots show up in time ;)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What a brilliant thread. :clap2:

Personally, my knees prevent me from playing football. I've played with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and the boys a couple of times in the last 6 months and it renders me utterly immobile for a week afterwards. I can go out and run 50 miles per week with very little reaction from my knees at all but play football once and I can barely move! I had a significant growth spurt at 17 and didn't strengthen the muscles in my knees. It was well before I got into running and I stopped playing football at that age as I drifted away from friends. At 21 I started playing regular 5 a side football and overtime I got to the point that I could play on a sunday and then not move all week, ready to play on a sunday again. I played for 4/5 years fairly regularly before stopping and eventually getting into running which is my main passion now. The difference is my eye sight without glasses is woeful so I'm constantly overstretching and reaching for the ball, not to mention the various paced sprints over shorter distances.

It's not for me, but I'll join [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] at least once this year on a sunday morning for a kick about - I'm 32 so I should bring down the average a bit. :thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I started again at the age of 46 - hadn't really played since i was 14 and i'm still going at 53.
Its just a bunch of forty/fifty and one sixtysomething Dads , once a week , playing an hour of 6-7 a side, sometimes a few teenage / young lads along for the ride and the chance to run rings the unfit old blokes.
its one of the best things I do of a week and i guess i now organise it. I hire the pitch (Oathall in Lindfield) and collect the fees / bring along a few balls/bibs. Heartily recommended if you know of a game and want to join in or thinking of setting one up for your friends. You'll be surprised how many people , if asked, will fancy a game. My experience is that players are very accommodating however "good" you are and its a great way of keeping fit, making friends etc.

Totally agree, I started one in Windlesham (in Surrey) where we were living about thirty years ago. Exactly as you describe. It is still going - same pitch, same day/time - with a fair number of the same players. We were fortunate that the leisure centre were just installing an artificial surface and were looking for bookings - so we got Wednesday 9pm.

And who could forget the Portslade Muppets.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What a brilliant thread. :clap2:

Personally, my knees prevent me from playing football. I've played with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and the boys a couple of times in the last 6 months and it renders me utterly immobile for a week afterwards. I can go out and run 50 miles per week with very little reaction from my knees at all but play football once and I can barely move! I had a significant growth spurt at 17 and didn't strengthen the muscles in my knees. It was well before I got into running and I stopped playing football at that age as I drifted away from friends. At 21 I started playing regular 5 a side football and overtime I got to the point that I could play on a sunday and then not move all week, ready to play on a sunday again. I played for 4/5 years fairly regularly before stopping and eventually getting into running which is my main passion now. The difference is my eye sight without glasses is woeful so I'm constantly overstretching and reaching for the ball, not to mention the various paced sprints over shorter distances.

It's not for me, but I'll join [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] at least once this year on a sunday morning for a kick about - I'm 32 so I should bring down the average a bit. :thumbsup:

Top post - yep I think it’s the stop start stuff that’s done for my backside today...

Hey ho - roll on next Wednesday !

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Top post - yep I think it’s the stop start stuff that’s done for my backside today...

Hey ho - roll on next Wednesday !

The key really is the warm up and cool down you do - they'll really help your recovery. Also try and get a bit of a walk in post-football - your legs will benefit massively from moving slowly, the recovery is crucial. In theory, it'll get easier each week as it goes anyway - but there are things you can do to help recover quicker and more thoroughly.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The key really is the warm up and cool down you do - they'll really help your recovery. Also try and get a bit of a walk in post-football - your legs will benefit massively from moving slowly, the recovery is crucial. In theory, it'll get easier each week as it goes anyway - but there are things you can do to help recover quicker and more thoroughly.

Yep - my head thinks it’s 21 by body 38! I’ll be warming up and down with greater care next week.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have the knees of an aged carpet fitter.

:wave:

Yep @50 they are not as bad as other fitters, it's my ankles and wrists more than anything from kneeling and bending my foot at a funny angle while fitting my wrists from pressure cutting in with the ol'stanley...

Oh and a pretty bad scooter accident means my back is bad and can't run far....

Shoot me now.....:timmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here