Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I played my first football in 3 years this evening...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
And I loved it.

38 (very nearly 39) and I still got very excited. I love it.

There’s still some magic left in these Del Piero (esque) legs.

We won 8-7.

The point is, if you’re of a similar vintage it’s (providing you’re reasonably healthy) never too late. I know the Uber fit brigade will be like... so what?!?... we’ll i’m relatively new to the area, and had to make contact with a local football coach to get involved and turn up tonight to play with a bunch of strangers... that takes balls. Thankfully it went well.

Ultimately I want to keep fit and my little Albion supporting 6 year was so proud when I was getting ready tonight, that’s a wonderful feeling. Truly.

Needless to say i’ll be going back next week.

Fortune favours the brave and slightly insane.

Obviously it goes without saying that I would destroy the Liverpool of the 80s, and the 2020s at the same time.

Kosh

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great stuff. Please keep us updated.........including any injuries.............if I try to do any team sport these days I ALWAYS pick up some kind of niggle (I’m 53 but wouldn’t say I was particularly unfit for my age)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And I loved it.

We won 8-7.

The point is, if you’re of a similar vintage it’s (providing you’re reasonably healthy) never too late. I know the Uber fit brigade will be like... so what?!?... we’ll i’m relatively new to the area, and had to make contact with a local football coach to get involved and turn up tonight to play with a bunch of strangers... that takes balls. Thankfully it went well.

Ultimately I want to keep fit and my little Albion supporting 6 year was so proud when I was getting ready tonight, that’s a wonderful feeling. Truly.

Kosh
I play Masters (over 35s) here is Australia and I concur that it is brilliant.

I broke my collar bone last season so haven't played for a good few months. I am starting pre season training tonight and can't wait to get playing again.

My team is pretty shit but a great bunch of lads so it is always a good laugh.

Fully agree football is still brilliant as you get older. I'm 45 and don't plan on giving up any time soon.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I packed up playing at 38 so :bowdown: to you

I am lucky, or have been in terms of an active job as a Ranger - I walk miles every week (for work) and I swim alongside now getting back into football. Having two young children kind of torpedoes stuff for a while BUT i’ve not felt this good in years - yep i’m aching but i’m chock full of the adrenalin good stuff.

Magic.

Almost as good as sex.

But not Rock and Roll.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I am lucky, or have been in terms of an active job as a Ranger - I walk miles every week (for wiork) and I swim alongside now getting back into football. Having two young children kind of torpedoes stuff for a while BUT i’ve not felt this good in years - yep i’m aching but i’m chock full of the adrenalin good stuff.

Magic.

Almost as good as sex.

But not Rock and Roll.

Go along with that

The best game of football I ever played was better than the best shag I ever had. (Probably I had more aptitude for football to be fair)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
At 48 1/2 I know I'm past my prime, but would love to play some form of football again, my leg twitches just watching . . . . Especially when my lads playing.

I fear like others, an injury per game would be the norm, but I' reasonably fit so should survive.

Probably not a great idea to start playing squash again!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Great stuff. Please keep us updated.........including any injuries.............if I try to do any team sport these days I ALWAYS pick up some kind of niggle (I’m 53 but wouldn’t say I was particularly unfit for my age)

Yes - last time around (3 years ago) I nearly broke my nose and turned my ankle. I’ve since put that down to thinking I was still 21. Tonight I decided to ease myself in - prowling around at the back line akin to 1980s Lawro - the wisdom of age? Perhaps. I felt in control of the old legs and the cardio side too, yep I certainly altered my approach tonight, far less steaming about - a more measured beginning. I waited until the last 15 until pushing myself forward a bit more - it’s hard to do, with the head saying RUN MORE!! The legs agreed with the strategy. Now when I leap out of bed at 2am with, you know, that cramp - well the smugness will diminish at that point ! ;)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well done mate. You must be buzzing

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
And I loved it.

We won 8-7.

Obviously it goes without saying that I would destroy the Liverpool of the 80s, and the 2020s at the same time.

Kosh

Good for you, the last time I played footy was at 36, now I cannot as I have the knees of an aged carpet fitter.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
And I loved it.

We won 8-7.

Kosh
In this virtual world I had an image of a bearded man in his early 70s. You are a prog rock youngster.

Dickie1965

Sep 27, 2016

I broke my collar bone last season so haven't played for a good few months. I am starting pre season training tonight and can't wait to get playing again.

Fully agree football is still brilliant as you get older. I'm 45 and don't plan on giving up any time soon.

I am 54 and play my 12th game of the season on Friday. 90 minutes and 11 a side on 3G astro. The team was a primary school dads team and has been together for 10 years. I love playing but the camaraderie and banter are the things that I would miss the most. As you say a fantastic laugh and our annual tour to Barcelona is just an incredible few days of hedonism each year.

Jul 7, 2003
And I loved it.

We won 8-7.

Kosh

Well done mate. I played parks football from 14 until 38 and then started playing with a group of people from work until a knee replacement stopped me in my tracks. I started playing again last summer after five years away, just before my 51st birthday - only in goal. I was immobile and rusty as anything but by God I was so happy to be out there and also involved in that whole team mickey taking that goes with it. Six months later, my mobility is better and the reflexes are back and I cherish every Wednesday night when I'm able to get down and play for 60 minutes.

One thing though - you will ache tomorrow and it will probably be worse on Friday but it is worthwhile!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good for you, the last time I played footy was at 36, now I cannot as I have the knees of an aged carpet fitter.

Me too, made worse by continuing to play after the REMF game, getting skinned alive by a 15 year old girl (Fulham supporters) and buggering it up again on a bog of a pitch at waterhall. Hardly any cartilidge left in my right knee.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
I gave up at 30, then, aged 42, rather than go to the gym, decided to play 11-a-side in the West Sussex league. Still trundle around the pitch Stephens-esque! Now player manager of reserves. Even a broken leg hasn't stopped me.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013

I’m about to resume my career at 34 here in Sydney in the over 35s next season - need to find a team but can’t wait to play 11s again. Have been regularly playing futsal but I miss semi competitive football - what is the general atmosphere like where you play??

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Me too, made worse by continuing to play after the REMF game, getting skinned alive by a 15 year old girl (Fulham supporters) and buggering it up again on a bog of a pitch at waterhall. Hardly any cartilidge left in my right knee.

I bet I could still beat you in an egg and spoon race :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
In this virtual world I had an image of a bearded man in his early 70s. You are a prog rock youngster.

I know, my musical passion does rather present that image. The Avatar however, more accurately gives you an indication of my vintage! Early 80s child.

My dad better fits the image you had in your head :)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
And I loved it.

We won 8-7.

Kosh

I managed to play until I was 49, really wanted to make it to 50, but fell a little short... had played men’s Sunday League football from the age of 14, so don’t think 35 years was too sad!

Keep wanting to have “one more game” but not sure anyone will give a try out to a 60 (nearly) year old centre back..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here