Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Hearing Aids

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I had some new ones today (on the NHS). Whilst they're pretty good, I was wondering about getting some privately so that I can have things like a remote microphone & Bluetooth.

Anyone got deaf aids and has gone for the whizz-bang private models ? Recommendations/Avoids ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can say what you want about deaf people …

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think my hearing is ok still, as long as orange keep upgrading my bass amp . . . . :wink:

IMG_0252.JPG

I'd recommend investing in a high quality hearing test, then get an aid which amplifies the frequencies you're down on. . . . An old friend is a professor of psycho acoustics, there are lots of very clever things they can do.

Although making Coldplay sound goood is still beyond modern science

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have had NHS ones for about 6 years from Action for Deafness. Unfortunately I left them on a table and the dog chewed the moulds that go into the ear... AFD moulded some more FOC but I have mislaid the actual hearing aids and it will cost £200 to replace them both. An expensive lesson not to leave them lyingabout.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have had NHS ones for about 6 years from Action for Deafness. Unfortunately I left them on a table and the dog chewed the moulds that go into the ear... AFD moulded some more FOC but I have mislaid the actual hearing aids and it will cost £200 to replace them both. An expensive lesson not to leave them lyingabout.

No offence BG, your house must be the birth place for the Which consumer magazine :wozza:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No offence BG, your house must be the birth place for the Which consumer magazine :wozza:

I put them in a money bag when I left AFD and put the bag in my coat pocket but forgot I was going to wear the coat to the Wolves game. I think that I must have pulled them out either at The Amex or en route. I am hoping that I can claim on my home insurance as suggested by security at The Amex, when I asked there about them possibly being found.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I had some new ones today (on the NHS). Whilst they're pretty good, I was wondering about getting some privately so that I can have things like a remote microphone & Bluetooth.

Anyone got deaf aids and has gone for the whizz-bang private models ? Recommendations/Avoids ?

The small in ear ones often end up having a lot of problems so behind the ear ones are less prone to getting bunged up with wax/getting moisture in. If you get in ear ones get a "dry box" for them to put in overnight.

If you really look into it there are a couple of different manufacturers and all the different shops are just resellers of those manufacturers so there isn't that much difference between all the offerings out there.

Specsavers is cheaper than most places and are handy as there are branches everywhere you can just walk into if there is a problem. Also do 4 years batteries and warranty included in price.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I put them in a money bag when I left AFD and put the bag in my coat pocket but forgot I was going to wear the coat to the Wolves game. I think that I must have pulled them out either at The Amex or en route. I am hoping that I can claim on my home insurance as suggested by security at The Amex, when I asked there about them possibly being found.

I'm amazed you haven't taken out the Paul Barber accidental loss insurance.
The Albion team have signed up for it.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Are you a veteran of the armed forces by any chance?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Are you a veteran of the armed forces by any chance?

Not really. I joined the R.A.F. in the early 80's, realised it was a mistake and left after a month. As a pal of mine said when I cam home, "I've had longer holidays"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That explains why you mishear all the rumours in the Bovril queue or when your son is talking about Sky Sports.:wink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That explains why you mishear all the rumours in the Bovril queue or when your son is talking about Sky Sports.:wink:

Probably as my son spends most of his day watching Sky Sports Transfer Centre then tells me when he gets home what it says. I must admit I cannott hear a thing that is broadcast over the sound system at The Amex.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

"Did you want coffee or tea Sir?"

BG rushes out Omsung Phine - "Just heard in queue for pie that we are signing John Terry."

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Back to the original question, what features are available? I know my sister's Bluetooth aids tell her when she receives an email, so I guess you can play music via the phone, etc. What about cinema and theatre sound systems?
Edit: and the Amex PA?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here