Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Night driving glasses - do they help?

I don't do much night driving these days but when I do I find it more difficult, especially when driving on unlit country roads. Oncoming lights seem to glare more even if they are dipped and it can be quite difficult to see the nearside if there are no road markings, even though my headlights are correctly aligned.

Daytime driving is fine, it's just night time is more of an issue and I tend to drive slowler than I do in the day much to the annoyance of people behind me!

Does anyone use night driving glasses and do they help?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I don't do much night driving these days but when I do I find it more difficult, especially when driving on unlit couuntry roads. Oncoming lights seem to glare more even if they are dipped and it can be quite difficult to see the nearside if there are no road markings, even though my headlights are correctly aligned.

Daytime driving is fine, it's just night time is more of an issue and I tend to drive slowler than I do in the day much to the annoyance of people behind me!

I have the same problem, I assumed it was an age thing ( I am nearly 68).
I wear glasses for reading, but I don’t need them for daytime driving.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't think it's (just) an age thing, it's a problem with the new bright LED lights - there's been a bit about it in the news lately. I find them a pain at times.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...dazzling-headlights-led-bulbs-installed-cars/

I find Nissan Jukes a particular pain as they have really high up daytime running lights which blind you via the rear view mirror if they're driving behind you. Not quite sure how they're allowed.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don't do much night driving these days but when I do I find it more difficult, especially when driving on unlit country roads. Oncoming lights seem to glare more even if they are dipped and it can be quite difficult to see the nearside if there are no road markings, even though my headlights are correctly aligned.

I have a two pairs of vari focal glasses, one for normal day use and the other pair are sunglasses.
Both have anti glare for when driving, I do find they help, especially at night.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have you had your eyes tested recently? Cataracts can cause problems with night driving. I have one in each eye but they're not 'ripe' enough to remove yet, according to my opthalmologist.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't think it's (just) an age thing, it's a problem with the new bright LED lights - there's been a bit about it in the news lately. I find them a pain at times.

I don't find night driving more difficult, but with the increase in brighter headlights I do find night driving more tiring.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have you had your eyes tested recently? Cataracts can cause problems with night driving. I have one in each eye but they're not 'ripe' enough to remove yet, according to my opthalmologist.

Yep I had one done, the difference is amazing. However it caused retinal tears which was not a pleasant experience so I am holding off on the other one being done. All good now though

The clarity and colour definition between my eyes now is incredible though

Night driving is much improved with one eye done

I went privately as my ophthalmologist told me that you have to have almost zero night vision before the NHS will do them. Bloody dangerous imp

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Coincidentally I have just had my eyes tested (and purchased specs)

Amongst short and long sightedness, I have an astigmatism in one eye. In plain English the lens, or some other big of my mince pie, is distorted. And one area where this will affect me, apparently, is night driving; lights will affect be bigger with glare and affect my vision. I say apparently as I don’t drive. Bins will correct this.

As an aside I was quite shocked how much my eyes have deteriorated over the years and how I’ve just not realised or acknowledged it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Serious question - what exactly do night driving glasses do (or what are they supposed to do)?

One thing is correcting light, eg on coming cars, which will distort and blur.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have a two pairs of vari focal glasses, one for normal day use and the other pair are sunglasses.
Both have anti glare for when driving, I do find they help, especially at night.

Another vote for Varifocal lens I am long sighted so only really need glasses for reading but I have Varifocal as it also sharpens my long distance sight while removing the need to keep taking my glasses off every time I need to look up they are also light reactions and polarised all this helps with night driving but as others have said these Halogen headlights are far to bright for oncoming cars

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One of my customers was wearing new glasses when I was at their business on Monday. Having never seen her wearing glasses before I asked when did she start wearing them? " Since I couldn't see at night with the Xenon and LED lights on cars". She said her glasses have a new type of lens to combat the lights. She says that they have made a massive difference. They're not those Yellow lens type-they looked just like normal non-reflective lenses but are specifically designed for car headlight glare. I will be getting some myself asap.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I just bought some off amazon, they make everything yellow but don't seem to do much else. I guess the yellow lights are a bit less blinding than the white lights, but it's not a noticeable difference really and I don't bother with them anymore

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I find it increasingly difficult to drive at night and bought some anti-glare glasses with good reviews. Made absolutely no difference at all and in fact just made it harder.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep I had one done, the difference is amazing. However it caused retinal tears which was not a pleasant experience so I am holding off on the other one being done. All good now though

The clarity and colour definition between my eyes now is incredible though

Night driving is much improved with one eye done

I went privately as my ophthalmologist told me that you have to have almost zero night vision before the NHS will do them. Bloody dangerous imp

I don't do any night driving at the moment, but fortunately with my other half, we can work around it. Going private is not an option for me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don’t consider night glasses as Anything other than filters.

Modern headlights are Pretty intense, I think the bigger problem is the angle of dangle, on modern cars and the state of the roads, as well as people using fog lights and main beam because they cant be bothered to change a bulb.

There are seemingly a lot of people with poor night vision out there driving, some at cycling pace and some all over the road. I think eye tests should be Mandatory for driving every few years once you’re over 40, which is when most people eyes start to deteriorate.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I just bought some off amazon, they make everything yellow but don't seem to do much else. I guess the yellow lights are a bit less blinding than the white lights, but it's not a noticeable difference really and I don't bother with them anymore

I did the same, they seem to turn everything from bright white to bright yellow.

Didn't really help so ditched them

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Your situation now was me 12yrs ago. I went to Specsavers to ask about their night driving glasses. The optometrist tested my eyes and to my absolute horror discovered I'd been driving ILLEGALLY for over three years. The penalty I believe was quite severe given what I could have caused. So with new glasses in use my nightly drive home from work became less of a drama and a lot quicker because I wasn't having to slow down to almost a dead stop every time a car approached from other direction.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here