Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brighton are not doing as well under Potter as they were under Hughton" - oh yes we are!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"Brighton are not doing as well under Potter as they were under Hughton" - oh yes we are!

Pundits have been trotting this one out for a few weeks, using the simple measure of games played.

After 22 games in 2018/19 we were in 13th place on 26 points, which had us eight points clear of the bottom three.

Number of games played does not account for the difficulty of those games and, as we are all aware, we have already faced the (established) Big Six away from home already.

Comparing fixture for fixture (replacing each relegated side with a promoted side) gives a different story - we are currently three points ahead of where we were last season.

Details here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A4a3TdzrzbLXHn4qD_UWBzacjIhnydTYNnL2aWzf2HE/edit?usp=sharing

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
ooh - would be interesting to see how that stacks up against the "staying up" tracker

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't really care what people who don't watch us often say. We know more than the results - and we know last season was horrific to watch and we stayed up courtesy of some miserable performances in incredibly fortunate 1-0 wins in November/December and then a Knockaert miracle goal at Palace. We were rubbish last season, pretty much exclusively from the start to the end of the season. Aston Villa managed to stave off relegation for a few years before the inevitable finally happened, Wigan and Sunderland were very similar. If we hadn't made the change, we would have become the same. The difference is that our Chairman and his Deputy knew this, and made the appropriate appointment for the benefit of the longer term.

In summary, **** the haters. :albion2:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
And we'll pick up more points than 11 like we did last season from NYD until the end of the season.

Stumpy Tim

Potter is unfortunate that the quality of the Premier League is much better this season. The only team DOOMED to relegation are Norwich, otherwise it´s all pretty tight. I love Hughton, but I´m pretty certain we would be in the same position as Norwich if we hadn´t made the change

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And we'll pick up more points than 11 like we did last season from NYD until the end of the season.

Yes the media have a bit of an infatuation with CH and I do not understand why to be honest, he thoroughly lost the plot and dressing room towards the end of his tenure here, and our a dismal form should by rights have sent us down.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pundits have been trotting this one out for a few weeks, using the simple measure of games played.

After 22 games in 2018/19 we were in 13th place on 26 points, which had us eight points clear of the bottom three.

Number of games played does not account for the difficulty of those games and, as we are all aware, we have already faced the (established) Big Six away from home already.

Comparing fixture for fixture (replacing each relegated side with a promoted side) gives a different story - we are currently three points ahead of where we were last season.

Details here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A4a3TdzrzbLXHn4qD_UWBzacjIhnydTYNnL2aWzf2HE/edit?usp=sharing

Christ, do we have to start this conversation again?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Potter is unfortunate that the quality of the Premier League is much better this season. The only team DOOMED to relegation are Norwich, otherwise it´s all pretty tight. I love Hughton, but I´m pretty certain we would be in the same position as Norwich if we hadn´t made the change

The quality is much better. I think it means I would put money on two of the relegated sides bouncing straight back up, especially if Leeds and West Brom don't choke

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes the media have a bit of an infatuation with CH and I do not understand why to be honest, he thoroughly lost the plot and dressing room towards the end of his tenure here, and our a dismal form should by rights have sent us down.

I’m more than happy with GP ...but don’t feel the need to have a pop at CH ...great manager for us .. hoping that GP will become even greater

It’s the stupid dickhead pundits I’d have a pop at ..probably forming there view having watched twenty seconds of Brighton on MOTD

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
8 pence to all the posters who contribute to this thread with completely new and original ideas.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I’m more than happy with GP ...but don’t feel the need to have a pop at CH ...great manager for us .. hoping that GP will become even greater

It’s the stupid dickhead pundits I’d have a pop at ..probably forming there view having watched twenty seconds of Brighton on MOTD

I was not having a pop at CH, just the fact as you say the media seem to forget our absolutely terrible run that almost saw us get relegated.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The entertainment is much better than last year but points total is about the same. One of the key things is that there is only really one team out of touch at the bottom this year whereas last year there were three. Also the top 6 are not so formidable. We are one of a number of teams in the mix and we have a better chance than most of retaining our status but not just as much as last year. Comparisons with last year are really quite futile, there is so much difference.

I take the view we are much better than last year but with more chance of going down. GP's job is to keep us up.

Stumpy Tim

The quality is much better. I think it means I would put money on two of the relegated sides bouncing straight back up, especially if Leeds and West Brom don't choke

Hard to say as those clubs would likely have a fire sale of players, and doing a rebuild isn´t easy to immediately bounce back. I hate to say it, but while Potter is doing great in the Prem I´m not convinced his style of football would get us promoted

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am enjoying going to games again, that’s enough for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here