Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brighton are not doing as well under Potter as they were under Hughton" - oh yes we are!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hard to say as those clubs would likely have a fire sale of players, and doing a rebuild isn´t easy to immediately bounce back. I hate to say it, but while Potter is doing great in the Prem I´m not convinced his style of football would get us promoted

I agree, we would be bullied week in week out. Think Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday. Potter would have to modify the style again and get in more battlers with no room for more than one or two lightweight flair players.

Hughton is the man if we go down :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I’m more than happy with GP ...but don’t feel the need to have a pop at CH ...great manager for us .. hoping that GP will become even greater

It’s the stupid dickhead pundits I’d have a pop at ..probably forming there view having watched twenty seconds of Brighton on MOTD

Thanks for reminding me about the amazing 'insight' in this article: https://news.footballindex.co.uk/pr...etting-relegated-their-one-to-watch-and-more/

I'm looking forward to comparing predictions with reality at the end of the season...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes the media have a bit of an infatuation with CH and I do not understand why to be honest, he thoroughly lost the plot and dressing room towards the end of his tenure here, and our a dismal form should by rights have sent us down.

Some members of the media took the opportunity of the sacking of Chris Hughton to parade their liberal credentials and claim that it was a step back for black managers. And their infatuation with him is part of the same thing. That is, of course, patronising in the extreme. If black managers and coaches are to have the same chances of getting jobs as white rivals, then they must also be as liable to the sack if they play boring or unsuccessful football.

As a [black] Albion fan wisely said at the time, all the crap thrown in Albion's direction over CH's sacking will only make it harder for black coaches to get jobs, because owners will wonder if they really want all the extra aggravation they can expect if/when they have to sack a black manager.

8 pence to all the posters who contribute to this thread with completely new and original ideas.

Think you could have been much bolder there with the enticement and had no problem whatsoever

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
"I have been in professional football since I was 16 - that's 33 years this summer. I have seen and done it all. In Brighton, I thought that I had found a club that sat outside the norm. People who love their club but are realistic about their club's prospects in dire circumstances. That appealed to me. That is what I call true loyalty. Supporting the club as you have done through the hard times. I am prepared to be here through these hard times and to develop a squad as I have started to do in preparation for the day that we all move to a new stadium at Falmer. I need your support, patience and understanding in the long-term because there is no quick fix. I hope you will continue to give me that opportunity." Mark McGhee, 17th April 2006
Drinking pints of whiskey, Mark McGhee, Mark McGhee :clap2:

Sorry off topic I know, but love the sig!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Some members of the media took the opportunity of the sacking of Chris Hughton to parade their liberal credentials and claim that it was a step back for black managers. And their infatuation with him is part of the same thing. That is, of course, patronising in the extreme. If black managers and coaches are to have the same chances of getting jobs as white rivals, then they must also be as liable to the sack if they play boring or unsuccessful football.

As a [black] Albion fan wisely said at the time, all the crap thrown in Albion's direction over CH's sacking will only make it harder for black coaches to get jobs, because owners will wonder if they really want all the extra aggravation they can expect if/when they have to sack a black manager.

It's not just us either. I pretty much know for a fact why Darren Moore was sacked from West Brom. Graeme Jones - Moore's assistant manager - had been offered and accepted the Luton job from the start of this season which was halfway or so through last. When the West Brom board found out they told Moore, Jones had to go now. Moore refused, so they sacked the pair of them.

Of course, that didn't stop the likes of Adrian Bandwagon Durham spewing bile from his nasty platform that Moore was sacked because he was black. This ignores the fact West Brom have historically been one of the most progressive in that regard and is a massive insult to the club. By all means call racism out when it happens but these cry wolf accusations devalue the whole thing. Jim White is the worst. When Hughton was sacked, he interviewed Moore and framed every question 'Tell us CH was sacked because he was black' When Moore didn't play the game you could detect the disappointment in his voice.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Chris Hughton was Albions answer to GQ on the sidelines, smartly dressed, not showing too much emotion, where the footy eventually ended up in the dire department.
Whereas Graham Potter is Exchange and Mart, dressed only in a 1970s trackie, not giving a toss on appearance and what he says, getting the Albion playing more attractive footy.
Its Albion evolution and I'm all for it and IMO, we are going in the right direction

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Ah yes those indirectly accusing us of racism/ discrimination were conveniently forgetting we actually employed him and yes let him go because of results and possibly because he seemed to have lost the dressing room, not because he was black. All the time also forgetting we employ and still do Hope Powell as our womens team manager....

Made no sense whatsoever, other than to massage their own politically correct egos without actually checking facts and looking at results.

Lazy left wing journalism as usual.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am enjoying going to games again, that’s enough for me.
It's never enough for me. I want us to win and don't mind the odd ugly but pragmatic performance.

As an aside, if we lose the next 4 playing attractive but naive football, this board will be awash with people telling everyone who'll listen that Spence was appallingly treated and how the gamble to bin off the high profile trio of front men has horribly backfired. They would have a point on that one, seeing as Locadia is having a good season at Hoffenheim and Andone was doing the same in Turkey until he got injured.

Anyway, for what it's worth, that is not what I believe will happen. I genuinely believe we are going to take 10 points from 12. This side is just miles better than the second half of last season under Hughton and I firmly believe getting rid of those 3 was the right call.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I genuinely believe we are going to take 10 points from 12. This side is just miles better than the second half of last season under Hughton and I firmly believe getting rid of those 3 was the right call.

Four games unbeaten in the Premier League takes some doing.

We've only managed it twice, both in 2017/18 and with a similar series of fixtures to the one we are facing now, ie against sides we are scrapping it out against:

15/10/17 Albion 1 - 1 Everton
20/10/17 West Ham 0 - 3 Albion
29/10/17 Albion 1 - 1 Southampton
4/11/17 Swansea 0 - 1 Albion
20/11/17 Albion 2 - 2 Stoke

31/1/18 Southampton 1 - 1 Albion
3/2/18 Albion 3 - 1 West Ham
10/2/18 Stoke 1 - 1 Albion
24/2/18 Albion 4 - 1 Swansea
4/3/18 Albion 2 - 1 Arsenal

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Four games unbeaten in the Premier League takes some doing.

We've only managed it twice, both in 2017/18 and with a similar series of fixtures to the one we are facing now, ie against sides we are scrapping it out against:

15/10/17 Albion 1 - 1 Everton
20/10/17 West Ham 0 - 3 Albion
29/10/17 Albion 1 - 1 Southampton
4/11/17 Swansea 0 - 1 Albion
20/11/17 Albion 2 - 2 Stoke

31/1/18 Southampton 1 - 1 Albion
3/2/18 Albion 3 - 1 West Ham
10/2/18 Stoke 1 - 1 Albion
24/2/18 Albion 4 - 1 Swansea
4/3/18 Albion 2 - 1 Arsenal

Indeed. I'd take 9 points out of 12 in fairness. But:

Villa: We are miles better than them. We all saw that last time (until we had a man sent off). 3-0
Bournemouth: As above. Plus no team should concede against a team with Dominic Solanke leading the line. 5-0 (0-0 at worst).
West Ham: Again, we were far better than them in the reverse fixture, and we seem to have the Indian sign over this lot. Could be a draw. 1-1
Watford: Looks like Pearson has them organised, but we're at home and they will be due a shit result. We can oblige. 2-0, knocking on the door of Europe and safety all but assured. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The only concern is recent performance levels have dropped for some reason

Have they though ? I'm ignoring the FA Cup because the players clearly didn't give a crap (in the main) :

Everton (one of the better home records in the league, £300m squad, top and new manager) - not at out best, but could still easily have got something. Mooy was missing which was a big blow IMO
Chelsea - first time we've ever got a point against them. Grew into the game and could've won it late on
Bournemouth - comfortable win
Spurs - played well, deserved a point, undone by two very good strikes by two strikers better than what we have (and that's not a slight on our guys)
Sheff Utd was arguably poor, but they were excellent (as they've shown against plenty of other teams).
Palace - dominated the game for 70 minutes and played some fantastic football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here