Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Deacon Blue

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Heard a song on Radio 2 yesterday and thought "that sounds like Deacon Blue, but I can't recall hearing it before".

Turns out it is Deacon Blue, and a new song at that, with an album coming out in March with a tour later this year.

Having been prompted to go back and listen to their old stuff this morning, I'm tempted to go along for nostalgia sakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-kwypo7qcc

In case it appeals to anyone else:

Brighton tickets (22/11/20) - https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/deacon-blue-brighton-22-11-2020/event/1F0057679A937B65
Royal Albert Hall tickets (11/11/20) - https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/deac...2020-london-11-11-2020/event/1F00576CB1CF8292

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The sounds in my I-tunes are mostly soul. However, love a bit of Deacon Blue. Dignity & Real Gone Kid are just great songs.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
"Alexa play Deacon Blue"

:thumbsup:

(I can never think who to ask her for)

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
My all time favourite band! I’ve seen them in concert many, many times both back in the day and several times since they re-formed back in 2012.
City of Love is the new single from their up and coming album which I think is their fourth since they reformed.
I can honestly say they’re better than ever now and highlight for me was seeing them play an open air concert at Edinburgh castle a couple of years back - they did a cover of Sunshine on Leith as part of their encore which was sublime.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Real Go Kid was featured in the film "Eddie the Eagle", top track from my youth...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uh oh, HWT incoming with some really obscure but much better band videos :smile:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Wallpaper music for me. 2 or 3 decent songs back in the day, everything else I've heard from them just sounds uninspiring and bland.

But so are Coldplay and look how popular they are. Each to their own I suppose.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Heard a song on Radio 2 yesterday and thought "that sounds like Deacon Blue, but I can't recall hearing it before".

Turns out it is Deacon Blue, and a new song at that....

Exactly the same thing happened to me today but with Radio Sussex. I had just parked up in the Aldi car park about to switch off the ignition when I thought, "this sounds a bit like Deacon Blue". I was curious enough to wait until the end of the song before exiting my vehicle. It turned out it was Deacon Blue with their new single and Radio Sussex's Record of the Week.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Deacon blue were a decent band. Not as good as Duran Duran obviously but a decent band nonetheless......

Duran Duran were commercial dirge. Followed by screaming girls and a few males.

The Jam, New Order, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure were all streets ahead. Original, innovators, great songwriters, referenced by countless future artists across both sides of the Atlantic, still adored today.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Duran Duran were commercial dirge. Followed by screaming girls and a few males.

The Jam, New Order, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure were all streets ahead. Original, innovators, great songwriters, referenced by countless future artists across both sides of the Atlantic, still adored today.

They may well have been commercial however they did actually play their musical instruments with some talent which is more than some bands did, I actually rated them very highly to the point that I persuaded my then girlfriend (now wife) to go on our first long haul holiday to Sri Lanka on the basis of the video of "Save a Prayer" which was filmed there.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Loved them when I was 15 because I wasn't very edgy and alternative. Saw them about five years ago at The Roundhouse and was really disappointed. They did nothing wrong. Very proficient show and the audience lapped it up. It was simply my taste had moved on so far since then that nostalgia alone wasn't enough for me. Best of luck to them and all that.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I have seen them a couple of times and am going to see them again later this year. I would strongly recommend going to see them - they put on a really good show and the nostalgic singalongs are great - but then I am stuck in the 70s and 80s!

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Wallpaper music for me. 2 or 3 decent songs back in the day, everything else I've heard from them just sounds uninspiring and bland.

But so are Coldplay and look how popular they are. Each to their own I suppose.

Disagree with the wallpaper music tag. If you listen to their back catalogue it’s more diverse than you may imagine. The main thing for me are the vocals of Ricky Ross and Lorraine McIntosh both are vocally gifted in their own right but together their voices work beautifully together

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here