Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Exposed: The Church's Darkest Secret BBC2 9pm

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Watching this programme and getting really angry. It's about the former Bishop of Lewes Peter Ball and his abuse of young boys and how the establishment sought to protect him and cover up his crimes.

I already knew about this case but when you listen to first hand accounts of former victims and of the investigating police officer and how efforts were made to hamper and negatively influence the police investigation, not just by those in the church but by MPs and even Judges, it makes you realise what a ****ed up society we live in and live under.

This was all happening as recently as 1993 when you'd think we might have moved on from the days when the establishment exerted such insidious influence to protect their own. When crimes such as Peter Ball's are committed it should only be those crimes that shock us, but so often we are also raging at all those who permitted those crimes to continue and go unpunished for so long when they had the power to stop it.

I've also been watching The Trial of Christine Keeler on Sunday nights surrounding the events of 1963 and you realise that the attitudes and malevolent influence of those who wield power and authority were exactly the same 30 years later and no doubt continues in much the same way today.

Part 2 of the Peter Ball documentary tomorrow.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn’t watch it, but like you know the details.

I think the RC and COE paedophiles get off rather lightly in the court of public opinion and in the justice system. They’re essentially evil, disgusting men, who destroyed young lives forever, ended innocent childhoods prematurely. They’re very much of the same ilk as Roy Whiting and his mates, Ian Huntly, obviously without the murder endings. They’re seen as misguided, now old, folk. Whereas in essence they’ve also taken lives, for their depraved acts.

Spiritually, they’re lying hypocrites, entirely selfish. On initial investigation by the church authorities or police, not one says “hands-up, i’m guilty”. Zero moral compass, spiritual frauds. Claiming their child victims are liars, ensuring that they suffer for years to come, having to endure cross examination at trial.

I like Prince Charles, but it was awful that he butted in on the Peter Balls case, he should’ve kept his influential nose right out of it. It boiled down to the testimony of child victims versus the defendant. A good reference from our King Elect was disgraceful, absolutely no thought given to the suffering children.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't think anybody could have watched that without being angered, both by the inadequate justice for the abused and by the arrogant actions of the establishment inside and outside of the church who seemed to believe themselves to be literally above the law. As George Carey is apparently still able to sit in the House of Lords: https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/...gn-from-lords-and-face-criminal-investigation, it would seem that their belief is true.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I didn’t watch it, but like you know the details.

I think the RC and COE paedophiles get off rather lightly in the court of public opinion and in the justice system. They’re essentially evil, disgusting men, who destroyed young lives forever, ended innocent childhoods prematurely. They’re very much of the same ilk as Roy Whiting and his mates, Ian Huntly, obviously without the murder endings. They’re seen as misguided, now old, folk. Whereas in essence they’ve also taken lives, for their depraved acts.

Spiritually, they’re lying hypocrites, entirely selfish. On initial investigation by the church authorities or police, not one says “hands-up, i’m guilty”. Zero moral compass, spiritual frauds. Claiming their child victims are liars, ensuring that they suffer for years to come, having to endure cross examination at trial.

I like Prince Charles, but it was awful that he butted in on the Peter Balls case, he should’ve kept his influential nose right out of it. It boiled down to the testimony of child victims versus the defendant. A good reference from our King Elect was disgraceful, absolutely no thought given to the suffering children.

Watching it, and him, it occurred to me that he had many of the characteristics which defines a psychopath/sociopath or narcissistic personality : charming, refusing to accept responsibilty for one's actions, unable to recognise the consequences of one's actions, lack of empathy, manipulative, grandiose sense of self worth, etc..

The programme gave a good insight into what Ball was like as a person with plenty of film clips of him speaking, including a clip of him on Wogan. He came across totally different to how I'd imagined him to be as he was quite charismatic, so you could understand how young boys were so drawn to him and then manipulated by him.

Even after that investigation in 1993 after which he only received a caution, he then returned to the church and wasn't finally prosecuted until over 20 years later. The pressure put on the investigating officer at the time from various quarters was extraordinary.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I already knew about this case but when you listen to first hand accounts of former victims and of the investigating police officer and how efforts were made to hamper and negatively influence the police investigation, not just by those in the church but by MPs and even Judges, it makes you realise what a ****ed up society we live in and live under.

It's quite incredible isn't it?
I was reading about this case just the other day https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...preynat-face-attacker-in-court-for-first-time

"Even after he admitted he was “sick” and had a problem with children, he was allowed to remain a priest in his diocese in Lyon.

Preynat’s abuse of young boys was known, documented and covered up by his superiors in the diocese, who were accused of putting the church’s reputation before the victims’ suffering."

I had to google this to get the link and yet in the search results there are many, many more, recent cases coming to light. Same pattern, member of Catholic church abuses young children, catholics try and cover it up. It's on an industrial scale. Just disgusting.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just watching this, total cover up of a complete pervert, still when the future King of England backs you it appears OK

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Just watching this, total cover up of a complete pervert, still when the future King of England backs you it appears OK

The same future King of England who had Jimmy Saville in his inner circle and a brother who is a complete nonce. Intresting.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Watching it, and him, it occurred to me that he had many of the characteristics which defines a psychopath/sociopath or narcissistic personality : charming, refusing to accept responsibilty for one's actions, unable to recognise the consequences of one's actions, lack of empathy, manipulative, grandiose sense of self worth, etc..

Shame then that our next king wasn't intelligent or astute enough to recognise those traits eh? Prince Charles called one of Ball's victims "a ghastly man".

Lest we forget, Prince Charles also had a "close friendship" with Jimmy Saville.

Another reason for binning our monarchy when HM finally goes IMO.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Shame then that our next king wasn't intelligent or astute enough to recognise those traits eh? Prince Charles called one of Ball's victims "a ghastly man".

Lest we forget, Prince Charles also had a "close friendship" with Jimmy Saville.

Another reason for binning our monarchy when HM finally goes IMO.

There are a few parallels between the Prince Charles / Peter Ball and Prince Andrew /Jeffrey Epstein relationships in that both Princes continued their friendships even after the allegations came to light, the one difference being that Ball had only received a caution at the time whereas Epstein had a conviction.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have no problem with the programme raking over those old coals but let's not forget what has happened/Is still happening in a number of towns and cities across the country where young girls who have dropped under the social care radar and have been systematically abused. The woman who raised the first of many such issues lost her job. Not sure if the people who made that decision have been held accountable.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I remember him clearly visiting our primary school religious education lessons. I say without hindsight, I found him scary at time.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very powerful viewing.
I remember vividly being spoken to by him, in the process of confirmation, in a room at the back of our local church, also present was the resident vicar.
He asked me about my interests, obviously BHAFC came into the conversation which was the main topic.
At no time was I left alone with Ball, so I can never fully understand what others have suffered.
I think if any funny business had occured, well my dad would've.........

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Religion gives people undeserved power and is used as a guise to gain confidence and trust with people.

Catch A Killer last night had someone using the belief in God in order to kill two people and be written into their wills.

It's really odd that we are expected to look up to, and respect people who basically peddle lies. In 2020 ffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here