Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    It's a shame bus access to the train station from the East is all but impossible.

If not you could all but figure of 8 a one way loop through the heart of the city, that would be almost perfect.
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You can ignore them: taxi drivers would moan about anything. If the council laid on a cafe solely for taxi drivers that offered free rump steak and chips and a blow job from a selection of blondes, drivers would whinge that the steak wasn't T-bone and there weren't enough brunettes. Taxi drivers are matched only by farmers and Newcastle supporters as Britain's biggest whiners

A pedestrianised Queen's Rd is a great idea. It would need some transport for those who can't walk easily but rather than the cost of a tram, there could be electric mini buses operating as a shuttle between the station and Churchill Sq. There would also be a bus stop at the side of the station serving Seven Dials and Hove.

I'm in....how do we get it built?
      Buses could be routed from Churchill Square up Dyke Road then across to the station, either via 7 dials, or quicker down Buckingham Road, Upper Gloucester Rd, Surrey St

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      The flip side of that is it may make it easier. Given many current through streets may become dead ends, then there would be opportunities to actually increase disabled street parking allowing closer access than they currently can.
      I can't see the logic there. If someone with a disability can drive to a place, then all of us can. And we'd all want to park, so why would they then increase disabled street parking?

The key is once you eliminate most of the traffic, then access to those that most need it can be made available.
      What do you mean - how can it be made available? Presumably you're not suggesting blue badge holders can drive in the no car zone, so what can they do?

If accessibility for disabled persons, pushchairs etc. is people's main concerns, then the current arrangements are nothing short of a disgrace in some areas.
      Due to council planning, rather than cars.

As @Stat Brother above points out, the arrival to our city from the station with a 2m wide pavement on both sides is embarrassing. Accessibility could be one of the fundamental points for doing it.
      Pedestrianising the area outside the station sounds good, and wouldn't stop physically disabled people from driving to town. There's a big difference between that and pedestrianising a much larger area of the city.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Do you require 3 identical answers to every question you ask?

Yes.

Just in case it's actually 4 identical answers:-

Yes

and here's a cheeky 5th one for you as well:-

Yes.
      What if they are electric taxis you sarcastic twiat?
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      I can't see the logic there. If someone with a disability can drive to a place, then all of us can. And we'd all want to park, so why would they then increase disabled street parking?

What do you mean - how can it be made available? Presumably you're not suggesting blue badge holders can drive in the no car zone, so what can they do?

Pedestrianising the area outside the station sounds good, and wouldn't stop physically disabled people from driving to town. There's a big difference between that and pedestrianising a much larger area of the city.
      The disability issue does have to be thought about, but I just keep coming back to (and thankfully I'm not an expert) surely it's easier for people with mobility issues to get on and off a bus than it is for them to get in and out of a car.

That said there will always have to be provision for some cars. As has been said earlier, some people who own cars live in the centre of town. So extra provision for disabled parking would have to be made near the limits of the no drive zone

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post

I'm not the appointed urban designer on this one, I'm merely throwing ideas out there on what might happen and what has happened elsewhere. Don't have any 1:50 scale plans for you at this point. A few posts back I posted some videos from other cities, might be worth watching.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Something which hasn't been mentioned which could be done relatively quickly and cheaply is congestion charging. Say a tenner to get closer than Palmiera Sq, Seven Dials, or Upper Bedford Street

That way, the council get a much needed boost to the coffers, if you really need to drive to town for whatever reason it's possible, blue badge holders would be exempt, you could also exempt fully electric cars if you chose, buses would run faster, delivery drivers could still drop off their wares with only a modest increase in cost being passed to the customer, and if I did want to spend a 4 grand on a TV which would barely fit in my living room it is was vitally important to me that it should only come from the Curry's PC World near Churchill Square I could do so and the congestion charge would only add 0.25% to the purchase cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the roads paved over, trees planted and the café chairs where the vehicles used to be. Congestion charging would be a 2nd place option

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Run View Post
      What if they are electric taxis you sarcastic twiat?
      No.

Now is that no your fourth yes or have you used them all hence flipping the question requiring a 'no' answer.

Do you require a further 2 more 'no's' for the same message to stick?

A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      That way, the council get a much needed boost to the coffers, ...
      raise revenue or cut traffic, which do you want? this is the foolish path, it seeks to do two conflicting objectives at once and will achieve neither properly.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.