Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] 1917

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My boss went to see it at the weekend and, while he thought it was visually stunning, was a bit disappointed overall with it.

Im still hoping to get along to see it at some point.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What a great film, highly recommended

Seconded, we went to see it on Saturday at the Duke of York.

Excellent film, touching and harrowing at the same time, loved the fact no super stars acting as such with twists and turns for such a simple plot.
School children should be made to watch this film as I think it shows the harsh reality of war, there is not much swearing in it apart from the Colonel near the end.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My boss went to see it at the weekend and, while he thought it was visually stunning, was a bit disappointed overall with it.

Im still hoping to get along to see it at some point.

100% go and see it - it's incredibly well filmed and an intense experience. I completely agree with your boss - I was disappointed with it overall but what you can't fail to be impressed if not amazed by is how it is shot as a single take. You're experiencing everything with the characters, there's no exposition or anything like that - you're well and truly along for the ride. Ultimately, I'm less impressed by it than [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] - but fully appreciate the masterful movie making.

Excellent film, touching and harrowing at the same time, loved the fact no super stars acting as such with twists and turns for such a simple plot.
School children should be made to watch this film as I think it shows the harsh reality of war, there is not much swearing in it apart from the Colonel near the end.

I completely agree - when I studied the World Wars at school I didn't really get any interest in the textbooks because it felt like a totally different world. When you see films like this one, you begin to understand the horror of what it was like there and films like this are so important for everyone to see. Dunkirk had many flaws, but that's also a film which should be shown to all secondary school aged kids along with Saving Private Ryan, The Great Escape and now 1917. Incredible film making.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Film has already had some NSC reviews on the Film 2020 Thread, might it be worthwhile merging this into there for those that haven't seen it yet so they can look at all the opinions posted?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s beautifully understated. You can imagine the Americans making this. There would have been love, super human heroics and spine tingling speeches.

There was only one point where I thought it was all a bit too ‘Revenant’, but on the whole a superb cinema experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Also saw it on Saturday, and agree that it was excellent - although disagree about the lack of swearing; plenty of f-ing, and f-off, although not the least bit shocking or surprising, given the horror and fear these guys were exeriencing.

The cinematography itself was incredible; in the trenches, the plane crash into the barn, the enormous rats, the dead bodies (humans and horses), etc. Me and Mrs Peteinblack were mesmerised for the whole 2 hours.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I thought it was very good but not great . I did not feel on the edge of my seat at all . There were some big names in it but they only had a few lines each . It was worth seeing so judge for yourselves. 8/10.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
100% go and see it - it's incredibly well filmed and an intense experience. I completely agree with your boss - I was disappointed with it overall but what you can't fail to be impressed if not amazed by is how it is shot

Sums it up for me too, looks great, amazing detail, lacks something.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is simply a MASTERPIECE. Having said that the last 2 films recently I regarded as Masterpieces are generally trashed now so what do I know ? La La Land and The Shape of Water. I think 1917 will stand the test of time however

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Great film, very well done, but couldn’t help but wonder why they didn’t just send Speckled Jim.

913BF724-A1CC-46FF-8CC0-013A66BF6EA4.jpeg

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I saw this on Friday, it is a good film but not outstanding. Visually great, acting was average. I didn’t really connect with the characters or get a huge sense of suspense. Joker definitely trumps it as far as oscars imo.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I saw this on Friday, it is a good film but not outstanding. Visually great, acting was average. I didn’t really connect with the characters or get a huge sense of suspense. Joker definitely trumps it as far as oscars imo.

Totally spot on in my opinion. I don't think it deserves Best Film ahead of Joker, comfortably the best film of last year in my opinion, from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Knieves Out.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Saw this last night on Prime. Was so looking forward to it but I am afraid I was totally underwhelmed.

Some of the visuals were cracking but I thought the story was lacking in a lot of areas.

There are much better films in the genre.

Shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here