Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our victories this season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Spent a couple of hours driving earlier and my thoughts turned to our season to date, and it dawned on me that we've not really beaten anyone of note this season. By that, I mean...

Watford - basketcase at the time.
Spurs - basketcase at the time.
Everton - basketcase at the time.
Norwich - the sole shit team in the division.
Arsenal - basketcase at the time.
Bournemouth - maybe not in basketcase territory, but injury-plagued and in dreadful form.

...which is worrying.

Trying to look on the bright side, our next two games are against sides that are very much in shocking form and on the fast track to basketcase-ville, as after that, it's looking tricky for a while.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That is a tad worrying to be fair.

But then when you think of all the games we could and should have won - of which there are many this season - it's bloody frustrating we are where we are. Especially when teams like Newcastle have been playing proper shyte - terrible xg stats - and others like palace seem to pick up loads of points when playing shit

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I look at it this way. Last season we only won 9 games, and so far, this season, we’ve already won six. Three more to go.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bollocks, this is like a Palace thread. Every time we win, apparently its because the other side didn't turn up. EVERY win in the PL is a battle, there are never any easy points on offer.

Other than Narch, every team we've beaten there is an established PL team, boasting a multi-million pound squad. And we've gone and added to their woes. BHA belong at this level now. We need to get used to that mindset, not look on every win as some kind of freak result or fluke.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But then when you think of all the games we could and should have won - of which there are many this season - it's bloody frustrating we are where we are.

That's broadly been my view: we should be a good ten points better off.

But having thought about those wins today, I'm feeling less confident about our prospects.

Saturday really is a big game (I appreciate that's been said a lot elsewhere!)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looking to far for negatives in my opinion there. You’re gonna get many teams ‘basketcasing’ at different points throughout the season! :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see this; at any one time, about a third of PL clubs are in crisis, are basket cases, the manager’s job is on the line.

So under the law of averages, we’ll meet and get victories against clubs in that moment.

Similarly in 2017/18 and 2018/19, we got victories against clubs with fans on their back, manager’s under immense pressure eg West Ham, Manure and Arsenal.

With a bottom third player budget, it’s far less likely that we’ll take on and beat teams where everything is rosey at a club and they have good players. Hence the repetitive lack of wins against the likes of Bmuff (until the other week), Leicester, Stains and Burnley.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not overly worried where the wins come from. 6 wins in 6 months is on par with the last two seasons of 9 wins over 9 months and we survived.

Don't care who we beat as long as we pick up sufficient points to avoid the drop, although obviously points against those around us are more important to gain. Roll on Villa, and let's roll over Villa!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Spent a couple of hours driving earlier and my thoughts turned to our season to date, and it dawned on me that we've not really beaten anyone of note this season. By that, I mean...

Bournemouth - maybe not in basketcase territory, but injury-plagued and in dreadful form.

...which is worrying.

Trying to look on the bright side, our next two games are against sides that are very much in shocking form and on the fast track to basketcase-ville, as after that, it's looking tricky for a while.

Basically a rehash of my post from about 2 months ago

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

...which is worrying.

Slightly different slant...as I wouldn’t call them basket cases

Everton ..won their two previous games (incl cup)
Tottenham had only lost one league game the preceding month
Arsenal...we had never beaten them on their home ground
Norwich the preceding away game had won two nil at Everton
Bournemouth we hadn’t beaten in the league in like ten years.....

Like I said ...just a different slant on things

...doesn’t take away the importance of next Saturday ...hopefully we will be on our game

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Yes we need to be very concerned. There is a blase attitude, not the stoicism and fight found under Chris

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I look at it this way. Last season we only won 9 games, and so far, this season, we’ve already won six. Three more to go.

I would agree but I dont think our points tally of last season will keep us up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

...which is worrying.

Just put the second bet of my life on tonight, £50 on 8-1 us to go down. It's an investment (emotional and, failing that, financial).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would agree but I dont think our points tally of last season will keep us up.

Agree. But then I don't see our results completely falling off a cliff again for the rest of the season, like they did this time last year.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think this is symptomatic of our problems in the final third. Because we're not clinical enough, because we keep making the wrong choices, or screw up the execution, we need lots and lots of chances to score a goal or two. We're only going to get lots and lots of chances against poor opposition and/or opposition in a bad run/having an off day.

Until either the team starts to click in the final third, or we bring in that elusive attacking player that will solves the issue, I think this 'only winning against poor sides' will continue to be the case for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here