Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] LGBT in the MOD & armed forces.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
s300_Gov_MOD_building.jpg

To mark 20 years since the landmark ruling allowing military personnel to serve as openly lesbian, gay or bisexual (LGB), buildings across defence have been lit in celebration.

The anniversary, which takes place on Sunday 12 January, has also been commemorated at the Houses of Parliament with the Minister of State for the Armed Forces Anne-Marie Trevelyan, Minister for Defence People and Veterans Johnny Mercer, and Commander Strategic Command General Patrick Sanders.

The Ministry of Defence hosted a reception in a Thameside pavilion at the House of Commons on 9 January to pay tribute to LGBT service personnel, past and present.

Great to see for all involved:thumbsup:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mod-lit-in-rainbow-colours-to-celebrate-lgb-personnel--2

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Its easy to forget how much has changed so quickly. I was effectively hounded out of the RAF after 12 years when just suspicions of my sexuality became known. I was in danger of being put in military prison for 6 months and then dishonourably discharged had there been any proof. At the time the institutionalised homophobia was just something you accepted, and put up with, whilst living in fear that one slip, one misplaced glance or drunken conversation could land you in prison-a very real possibility . Colleagues I knew were thrown out, loosing jobs, housing and left with just a dishonourable discharge to show for years of loyal service.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Its easy to forget how much has changed so quickly. I was effectively hounded out of the RAF after 12 years when just suspicions of my sexuality became known. I was in danger of being put in military prison for 6 months and then dishonourably discharged had there been any proof. At the time the institutionalised homophobia was just something you accepted, and put up with, whilst living in fear that one slip, one misplaced glance or drunken conversation could land you in prison-a very real possibility . Colleagues I knew were thrown out, loosing jobs, housing and left with just a dishonourable discharge to show for years of loyal service.

Youd be suprised on how much has changed, yes you'll still get the underlying crap, but thats from dinosaurs :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Yeah, it has changed so much. To read that in 2020 is just shocking, how long ago are we talking about?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yeah, it has changed so much. To read that in 2020 is just shocking, how long ago are we talking about?

I joined up in 1980, left just as the first gulf war started. The ban was lifted 20 years ago, so roughly 8 years to late for me!. I can remember on my second ever day in the RAF, all the new recruits being gathered in the station auditorium and the SNCO speaking said (and I quote-these words will stay with me forever! )" Any poofters in the hall stand up, I dont want any ****ing queers in my Air Force, if you 're one of those homos, get the **** out now".. ah such enlightened times!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obviously there were gay people in the forces in the 60s. They were very discreet, and those we knew, we kept quiet about. I remember one argument in the mess, from one particular woman, but the rest of us told her to shut up. She backed down, and the gay person moved on to another draft soon after in any case.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I joined up in 1980, left just as the first gulf war started. The ban was lifted 20 years ago, so roughly 8 years to late for me!. I can remember on my second ever day in the RAF, all the new recruits being gathered in the station auditorium and the SNCO speaking said (and I quote-these words will stay with me forever! )" Any poofters in the hall stand up, I dont want any ****ing queers in my Air Force, if you 're one of those homos, get the **** out now".. ah such enlightened times!

What made you want to join up under those circumstances? Purely out of interest! Must have been bloody tough at times. Hat off to you.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

When I was in the Navy I actually knew a MAA (RN Police) who was gay but obviously hadn’t come out, one of his toughest jobs was to investigate a fellow rating who was suspected of being gay!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I knew aChief Petty Officer cook, lovely fella, busted when he had his cabin searched on an unrelated matter and the crushers found a Gay News.
He was then investigated, and prosecuted for being homosexual. Found guilty, he was busted down to Cook, kicked out , and lost his pension cos it was a dishounerable discharge. He had served for 21 years of exemplary service, popular with everyone who knew him and no hint of scandal. It was this case that changed my mind, and others who knew the bloke involved.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here