Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Rolling tobacco to be banned in May?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Just learned that all hand rolling tobacco is to be banned from sale throughout the EU, starting on May 20.

I'm a smoker myself of the rollie, but personally pleased about it, because it really is the beginning of the end of smoking, for future generations.
I'll give up because no way am I going to shell out a tenner for a pack of 20 cigarettes every day.
I'm very surprised, but chuffed that common sense seems to be prevailing, and that politicians have given big business a bloody nose.

I'll have more money to spend on ICE COLD Punk, so everyone's a winner!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Just learned that all hand rolling tobacco is to be banned from sale throughout the EU, starting on May 20.

I'm a smoker myself of the rollie, but personally pleased about it, because it really is the beginning of the end of smoking, for future generations.
I'll give up because no way am I going to shell out a tenner for a pack of 20 cigarettes every day.
I'm very surprised, but chuffed that common sense seems to be prevailing, and that politicians have given big business a bloody nose.

Just flavoured rolling tobacco, not all types.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Flavoured alcohol next

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Just flavoured rolling tobacco, not all types.

I thought that was the case, but it appears not?

It seems it's all rolling tobacco, along with flavoured cigarettes.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I think its the way that news articles are writing it that is causing the confusion. But as i understand it will just be flavoured tobacco:

A spokeswoman from ASH (Action on Smoking and Health) said the ban will entail the following:

“No person may produce or supply a cigarette or hand rolling tobacco with:

“(a) a filter, paper, package, capsule or other component containing flavourings;

"(b) a filter, paper or capsule containing tobacco or nicotine; or

"(c) a technical feature allowing the consumer to modify the smell, taste, or smoke intensity of the product."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think its the way that news articles are writing it that is causing the confusion. But as i understand it will just be flavoured tobacco:

A spokeswoman from ASH (Action on Smoking and Health) said the ban will entail the following:

“(a) a filter, paper, package, capsule or other component containing flavourings;

"(c) a technical feature allowing the consumer to modify the smell, taste, or smoke intensity of the product."

So that's it for liquorice papers then?

Pickles

May 5, 2014

This is from inews.

Menthol cigarettes and rolling tobacco will be withdrawn from shelves later this year, with the ban due to come into force from May 2020.

As you say, is it ambiguous, i.e. Menthol tobacco ( is there such a thing?? ), or plain tobacco?...

Pickles

May 5, 2014

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It may become law but who obeys that these days?! Increasingly people don’t and justify why they steal, speed, sell drugs, stab etc to the point our government is almost complicit in allowing. People will just ignore, it’s another of those yeah whatever laws.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I think that things have gone downhill for the UK ever since we banned the sale and use of Opium.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I think that things have gone downhill for the UK ever since we banned the sale and use of Opium.

I thought you wore Brut or Hai Karate?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, that is definite.

It's not outside the realms of fantasy to buy several boxes of liquorice papers which would see you out, until you got poisoned by them.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

I thought you wore Brut or Hai Karate?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
DAMN the EU with its pesky laws to help improve people's health :moo:

I'm assuming that, after Brexit, Johnson and his pals will lift the ban – because we wouldn't want to have the same laws as 'them', would we?

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Why would they ban menthol cigarettes? Whats the health difference between menthol fags and normal fags?

If I bring some in from overseas, will I be breaking the law?

It is deemed that flavoured cigarettes encourage underage smokers, so they are being banned completely on those grounds, not on health grounds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here