Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Banned for racially abusing one of your OWN team!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A Manchester City supporter has been banned from football matches for five years for racially abusing Raheem Sterling. Ian Baldry, 58, pleaded guilty to using racist language after Sterling scored in a Premier League match against Bournemouth in December 2018.

What the hell would anyone say that is racist when one of their own team scores :nono:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-51066328

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can imagine. He may have used the racist expression thinking that he was complimenting Sterling. Pretty dumb, of course.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Want to kick racism out then ban these dicks for life from football.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Doesn't surprise me. I remember sitting in the North Stand in the 2-0 loss to Brentford in 2016. The whole second half I endured a group of 16-18 year old billy-big-whatnots calling Bruno and other Albion players "c****" relentlessly. Even though it wasn't to do with race, it was incredibly, incredibly unpleasant to hear and ruined the match for me (scoreline aside).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Doesn't surprise me. I remember sitting in the North Stand in the 2-0 loss to Brentford in 2016. The whole second half I endured a group of 16-18 year old billy-big-whatnots calling Bruno and other Albion players "c****" relentlessly. Even though it wasn't to do with race, it was incredibly, incredibly unpleasant to hear and ruined the match for me (scoreline aside).

I agree, and absolutely abhor that word Continued use of it, (in fact any use at all), is, for me, just as bad an offence as racism.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was half listening to this story on the radio earlier and wasn't sure if I'd heard it correctly. Clearly I had.

What a div :dunce:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

This still happens on a regular basis, at away games in particular. And it is not confined to 16-18yo's. :nono:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I hear a lot more racist, homophobic and other stuff of that nature from my own generation than I do from my kids generation.

Not sure what kind of circles you move in ???
I never hear any of those things from people of any age. I’m just going on my memory of the ages mentioned in arrest figures. There does seem to be a disproportionate number of youngsters.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Want to kick racism out then ban these dicks for life from football.

This.

And in the present case it may be only a 5 year ban, if his lifestyle matches his stupidity.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure what kind of circles you move in ???
I never hear any of those things from people of any age. I’m just going on my memory of the ages mentioned in arrest figures. There does seem to be a disproportionate number of youngsters.

I can think of maybe a handful of specific people - not 'pals' - off the top of my head from a range of contacts (work, golf club etc) who I've heard being racist, sexist or homophobic, all in their 40s or 50s. I can't think of a single instance from either of my kids (both in their 20s) sets of friends................

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I agree, and absolutely abhor that word Continued use of it, (in fact any use at all), is, for me, just as bad an offence as racism.

N & C word(s) are now considered to be the most offensive words in the English language. However, **** is a powerful word that has/is trying to be reclaimed by women/feminists. But it's often used lazily - especially by blokes. There are some occasions when **** is the only word that can really sum up or describe a situation/person/action (imho).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Type A personality but not too bright, a bit of charley (or just lager), 'mates' along . . . . . I remember a group of five or six of them away at Stoke about 15 years ago. Probably expected others to join them, but they came close to a different sort of day out from some of the unimpressed gentlemen nearby.

But we don't want to see Albion fans fighting among themselves. That's for the likes of Millwall. :facepalm:

It won't go away though, unless it is targetted like overt racism is now. Still, being a gold plated gobshite dimwit isn't yet an offence, and no doubt there will be poeple on this thread, later, claiming it is all bantz and we are snowflakes for raising the eyebrow of disapproval, and we should all go and skweem for a policeman. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here