Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Bars and restaurants started to open up here last Monday, limited to 50% capacity on the terrace, no inside seating. One place near me got shut down by the police Monday lunchtime as their terrace was fuller than the North Stand concourse at half-time.

Other places have spaced their tables out but there's little evidence of physical distancing so I'll be giving it a swerve for the foreseeable.

To make up for my self-imposed bar ban, we had a tapas night at home yesterday. Starting off with some good quality mojama (dried tuna) and glass of vermouth, before moving on to some succulent clams cooked in white wine with parsley and an indecent amount of garlic. That was followed by plate of mixed fried fish, liberally soused with lemon. All washed down with a passable bottle of cava.

A brisk stroll and a switch to wine and meat starting with Brandy-spiked chicken liver toasts; very good they were too. Then it was time for the lamb neck a la plancha. The meat, which had been marinating in yoghurt, rosemary, and garlic, was cooked in ferociously hot pan, blackening in all the right places. A splash of sherry to deglaze and done. We rounded things off with a cheeseboard - something hard, something soft, something goaty, served with some cherries and a rather nice tawny port.

Who needs bars?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bars and restaurants started to open up here last Monday, limited to 50% capacity on the terrace, no inside seating. One place near me got shut down by the police Monday lunchtime as their terrace was fuller than the North Stand concourse at half-time.

Other places have spaced their tables out but there's little evidence of physical distancing so I'll be giving it a swerve for the foreseeable.

To make up for my self-imposed bar ban, we had a tapas night at home yesterday. Starting off with some good quality mojama (dried tuna) and glass of vermouth, before moving on to some succulent clams cooked in white wine with parsley and an indecent amount of garlic. That was followed by plate of mixed fried fish, liberally soused with lemon. All washed down with a passable bottle of cava.

A brisk stroll and a switch to wine and meat starting with Brandy-spiked chicken liver toasts, very good they were too. Then it was time for the lamb neck a la plancha. The meat, which had been marinating in yoghurt, rosemary, and garlic, was cooked in ferociously hot pan, blackening in all the right places. A splash of sherry to deglaze and done. We rounded things off with a cheeseboard - something hard, something soft, something goaty, served with some cherries and a rather nice tawny port.

Who needs bars?

Crikey, that sounds brilliant, especially the chicken liver toasts. What a lovely evening.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

A brisk stroll and a switch to wine and meat starting with Brandy-spiked chicken liver toasts; very good they were too. Then it was time for the lamb neck a la plancha. The meat, which had been marinating in yoghurt, rosemary, and garlic, was cooked in ferociously hot pan, blackening in all the right places. A splash of sherry to deglaze and done. We rounded things off with a cheeseboard - something hard, something soft, something goaty, served with some cherries and a rather nice tawny port.

Who needs bars?

Was this all your own work?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And there was I thinking I wasted far too much time in the kitchen ... Do you get to do much else beyond that, posting on NSC, and reading books?

:D Not one of the dishes took more than 10 minutes and we ate over the course of four hours so there was plenty of time for drinking and chat.

I saved a few clams to have with cous cous for today's lunch and later I'll knock up some papparedelle later to have with the leftover chicken livers and a few mushrooms. About 10 minutes for each of those meals too. I should write a book :D

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Both Andalucía in Ferring and Pepe De Rincon in West Worthing offering takeaway tapas for those not blessed with [MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION] style cookery skills.

Also been told that the Parsonage in Tarring is also doing a takeaway menu for those wanting nice British food.

You can now order a Patty & Bun home burger kit (meat and vegan) to be delivered to home if you want to recreate their food at home. Nice to see restaurants of all types finding a way to keep going.

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] - how are things with your place? I guess you are not the easiest to visit when it comes to providing a take away option.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
[MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] - how are things with your place? I guess you are not the easiest to visit when it comes to providing a take away option.

Hello mate, yes you're quite right, we don't quite lend ourselves to a takeaway site what with the marina having been shut, plus I live in Chichester which was another complication. It might be something we do when we hopefully get back in July, but absolute credit to those local restaurants that are able to keep going

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Cin Cin soon to be partnering with Flour Pot bakery to provide click and collect dishes, I think they are starting this Sunday/Monday with a lasagne but will be expanding the range too. Veggie option available.

This is on top of the Cin Cin at home that is already running. I've been really impressed with how the local places are getting up and running again.

Fatta A Mano are also back open on London Road and possibly Hove.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
First take away since lockdown was from Easy Tiger in Brighton. Excellent Indian food. They’ve hooked up with a few micro pubs along the south coast to do a bulk delivery service on Thursdays

Got the Keralan Moplah Koshi Biryani & Keralan Fried Chicken. Heated up in the oven fine and tasted amazing! Would recommend it, will try Kit Gum next I think as the Brookstead has been doing the same with them

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Curry Leaf Cafe delivering chilled meals ready to heat up even to darkest Hassocks. Doesn’t work so well with the naan bread but everything else we ordered was excellent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had a very disappointing experience with Deliveroo and Bardsleys chip shop last night. It used to be so good. First up the food was 1.90 more via Deliveroo than the shop. This was in addition to the delivery charge. Is this markup typical? And the food itself was lacklustre and the chips weren’t that great. Whilst I understand, and am happy to accept compromises with delivery food, a direct comparison can be made as I have previously picked up fish and chips and peddled them home. Shame.

Today it’s Trollburger.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Had a very disappointing experience with Deliveroo and Bardsleys chip shop last night. It used to be so good. First up the food was 1.90 more via Deliveroo than the shop. This was in addition to the delivery charge. Is this markup typical? And the food itself was lacklustre and the chips weren’t that great. Whilst I understand, and am happy to accept compromises with delivery food, a direct comparison can be made as I have previously picked up fish and chips and peddled them home. Shame.

Today it’s Trollburger.

How long you been back in the UK?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Today it’s Trollburger.

I've only been back a couple of times since Roy and Audrey(?) retired, and it no longer hit the heights. Shame, but even fish and chip shops are down to the care of those that run the place. And why on earth have you come back here when you could be in Germany?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Today it’s Trollburger.

I think you were unlucky. Have had 2 takeaways in last 8 weeks both very good. Have never used deliveroo because never sure how long after collection they are delivered. Bardsleys does miss Roys personality but have found food is still good

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yesterday’s lunch was a trip to Trolllburger. The Stinky Breath Burger, patty with Brighton Blue and a sauce I think made from mayo and anchovies, and a side of fries with wild garlic mayo and home made ketchup . For me, Troll is best when he keeps it simple. And yesterday was tasty sloppy burger perfection. The brilliance of the burger should not overshadow the fries though. These are a more than able support to the main event. They are beautifully made with a lovely crisp, fresh crunch to them.

It had to be pre-ordered and pre-paid but this was straight forward. I ordered for 15:30 and it was ready on time.

As an aside, I like Troll as a person, he’s passionate about many things, and not afraid to share his opinions. Most I agree with, some I don’t, but overall he’s a good egg. Brighton is the perfect place for him, and I’m pleased he’s made our town his home.

Oh, and The Evening Star was open and selling takeouts so my burger was washed down with 4 pints of Burning Sky Springtime.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And to round off my Saturday I had a take away from Hins in Hove, my regular Chinese back in the day. I had crispy duck followed by shredded fried chilli beef with special fried rice for main. Hins is functional regulation British Chinese fare, always a solid 7 out of 10. It won’t change your world but equally it doesn’t disappoint. By the time it arrived I’d had 4 pints of pale ale and two home measures of red wine....it was exactly what I needed. Then it was time for bed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here