Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
They’ve kind of reopened in Dubai too. I’ve not been yet, but out of curiosity I did stop by a Cafe Nero the other day for a coffee and sandwich.

Once I’d made my way past the Ramadan screens (there to prevent anyone passing by from being able to see the act of eating/drinking), ordered while wearing a facemask and gloves and found one of the tables that didn’t have a “for social distancing, please do not use this table” sign on it, I sat down. I was the only customer. It was not, in any sense, an enjoyable experience. Truly surreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Of course, we’re going to be doing our utmost to guarantee your safety. We’ll keep our faces covered with our beautiful new masks from Jay Barry Matthews, made with Frank Leder’s Binchontan charcoal cotton/linen blend. Needless to say, we’re also going to use disinfectant rather generously, make sure there’s plenty of space between different parties and follow all the regulations and sound advice on keeping you happy and healthy. ”

Here’s the deal.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
“Of course, we’re going to be doing our utmost to guarantee your safety. We’ll keep our faces covered with our beautiful new masks from Jay Barry Matthews, made with Frank Leder’s Binchontan charcoal cotton/linen blend. Needless to say, we’re also going to use disinfectant rather generously, make sure there’s plenty of space between different parties and follow all the regulations and sound advice on keeping you happy and healthy. ”

Here’s the deal.
McDonalds are upping their game!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Crikey. I have just made a reservation for a restaurant next Saturday.

Good on you. I'm itching to get back in there, and do just a little to try and keep some mighty fine establishments for the community. I actually think restaurants will be far better placed than much of the other 'hospitality' industry. Tables can be moved further apart, and we're just going to have to accept higher prices. That is not good for those on tight budgets, but my logic is go less often, and savour it all the more when you do go. In contrast to [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION], I really do want to hear a review, as it'll probably be the post-CV19 restaurant reflection and, especially as you eat ought a lot, you're well placed to identify subtle differences.

On a different but related note, I have a birthday on Tuesday and, having resisted take aways during the lockdown, I think I might have two (especially as I do 98% of the cooking round these parts). So, Brighton take away folk, I have lunch and dinner in mind, on a Tuesday (some of my favourite places aren't open on a Tuesday), any suggestions?
-- lunch: I really fancy a Burger Brothers, but they're closed, ditto Troll's. Any others out there? Or any other decent lunchtime fare?
-- dinner: current top candidate is Curry Leaf Cafe, but if there are others that have worked well for you, do let me know

Thanks in advance

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Good on you. I'm itching to get back in there, and do just a little to try and keep some mighty fine establishments for the community. I actually think restaurants will be far better placed than much of the other 'hospitality' industry. Tables can be moved further apart, and we're just going to have to accept higher prices. That is not good for those on tight budgets, but my logic is go less often, and savour it all the more when you do go. In contrast to [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION], I really do want to hear a review, as it'll probably be the post-CV19 restaurant reflection and, especially as you eat ought a lot, you're well placed to identify subtle differences.

On a different but related note, I have a birthday on Tuesday and, having resisted take aways during the lockdown, I think I might have two (especially as I do 98% of the cooking round these parts). So, Brighton take away folk, I have lunch and dinner in mind, on a Tuesday (some of my favourite places aren't open on a Tuesday), any suggestions?
-- lunch: I really fancy a Burger Brothers, but they're closed, ditto Troll's. Any others out there? Or any other decent lunchtime fare?
-- dinner: current top candidate is Curry Leaf Cafe, but if there are others that have worked well for you, do let me know

Thanks in advance

Tuesday difficult but did you see Wild Flor and Petis Pois have started up at weekends?

I’ve only had Curry Leaf of the proper restaurants so far that serve midweek.. Pizza 500 was good but I love their pizzas anyway, bu they do additional like arancini and lasagne and what not.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tuesday difficult but did you see Wild Flor and Petis Pois have started up at weekends?

I’ve only had Curry Leaf of the proper restaurants so far that serve midweek.. Pizza 500 was good but I love their pizzas anyway, bu they do additional like arancini and lasagne and what not.

Thanking you kindly. I'll look up Pizza 500.
Wild Flor I'm extremely keen to go, but probably to eat in, as they've got an extremely good wine list, decently priced too. I like Petit Pois, and will check it out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanks in advance

It’s going to be interesting for sure. I was a little hesitant when making the booking as 1) it will be only their 2nd day open after a long break so there might be teething problems and 2) how much will the Covid 19 regulations impose on the evening. But I then felt a bit guilty having such trivial concerns and booked it.

It’s the only restaurant re-opening I’m aware of at the moment but then the rule change was only published yesterday so I expect more to announce in the coming days.

https://www.nobelhartundschmutzig.com/en/supper/

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It’s going to be interesting for sure. I was a little hesitant when making the booking as 1) it will be only their 2nd day open after a long break so there might be teething problems and 2) how much will the Covid 19 regulations impose on the evening. But I then felt a bit guilty having such trivial concerns and booked it.

It’s the only restaurant re-opening I’m aware of at the moment but then the rule change was only published yesterday so I expect more to announce in the coming days.

https://www.nobelhartundschmutzig.com/en/supper/

Looks great. Report back please, and enjoy.

Jul 7, 2003

Thanks in advance

Troll is taking telephone orders but only Thursday to Saturday I believe.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Thanks in advance

The Witchez are doing most of their menu as takeaway but you do need to pre-order the day before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More information is now coming out about the lifting of restrictions in Berlin next week. In case you didn’t know, lifting of the rules will be made at the state level so there might be differences across the nation. Here, pubs and bars remain closed for the time being but restaurants can open and operate at 50% capacity and with social distancing measures in place. Bars which serve food are included and Brewdog Mitte is having Perspex screens installed next week to facilitate distancing so tables don’t have to be 1.5m apart. They will also re-open next week.

The restaurant I have booked for Saturday has counter style seating around an open kitchen. I presumed I’ll have a 1.5m gap between me and the next customers but maybe they will go down the Perspex route as well.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
More information is now coming out about the lifting of restrictions in Berlin next week. In case you didn’t know, lifting of the rules will be made at the state level so there might be differences across the nation. Here, pubs and bars remain closed for the time being but restaurants can open and operate at 50% capacity and with social distancing measures in place. Bars which serve food are included and Brewdog Mitte is having Perspex screens installed next week to facilitate distancing so tables don’t have to be 1.5m apart. They will also re-open next week.

The restaurant I have booked for Saturday has counter style seating around an open kitchen. I presumed I’ll have a 1.5m gap between me and the next customers but maybe they will go down the Perspex route as well.

Ever so slightly envious HT. That said the perpsex will be like going back to the bank counters of the 90s ( or indeed Uncle Sams in Hollingbury ). Be interesting the effect it has. I'd accept it though to be able to go to my favourite restaurants.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know a few are interested in how the post-pandemic world might look so I thought I’d post my Brewdog experience from last night. In short the deal is restaurants can now open with certain restrictions. Whilst Brewdog is primarily a bar, as it sells food, it can open. I believe, to have the significant food element to the business they were forced to register as a restaurant with all the resulting additional paperwork and inspections this requires. The flip side to this is they are legally a restaurant and can now open.

So, we had to leave names, addresses and contact details at the door. There is Perspex dividers added to the banquette seats and the tall long tables; noticeable but not overly obtrusive. Staff wore black, cool and slightly sinister looking branded face coverings. Table service only, Numbers were restricted, every group was a 3 or 4 people and used the space wisely and appropriately. There are many outside tables as well.

I stuck to Punk IPA and had some wings and fries and chewed the fat with [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION]. A rather nice and chilled Friday night. I stayed way longer than I planned; it’s good to have them back.

Cycling through the city on my way home from work I noticed numerous other cafes, restaurants and beer gardens had their tables out and looked moderately busy as well.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone tried Kitgum Kitchens cook at home efforts?

They've agreed to do a mass order / delivery to the Brookstead in Worthing this weekend and fancy trying it, but also nervous of 'take away cook at home' thing. Will it be as good?

We finally got round to this the other day. Really really good and easily up there with Curry Leaf, if not better. Excellent lamb and potato stew and the mung bean effort is really good too. Portions plentiful. We over ordered and I thought we had under ordered, luckily i love a leftovers lunch so happy days. Highly recommended.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know a few are interested in how the post-pandemic world might look so I thought I’d post my Brewdog experience from last night. In short the deal is restaurants can now open with certain restrictions. Whilst Brewdog is primarily a bar, as it sells food, it can open. I believe, to have the significant food element to the business they were forced to register as a restaurant with all the resulting additional paperwork and inspections this requires. The flip side to this is they are legally a restaurant and can now open.

So, we had to leave names, addresses and contact details at the door. There is Perspex dividers added to the banquette seats and the tall long tables; noticeable but not overly obtrusive. Staff wore black, cool and slightly sinister looking branded face coverings. Table service only, Numbers were restricted, every group was a 3 or 4 people and used the space wisely and appropriately. There are many outside tables as well.

I stuck to Punk IPA and had some wings and fries and chewed the fat with [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION]. A rather nice and chilled Friday night. I stayed way longer than I planned; it’s good to have them back.

Cycling through the city on my way home from work I noticed numerous other cafes, restaurants and beer gardens had their tables out and looked moderately busy as well.

Hopefully that'll be the UK in a couple of months. Say hello to UB from me!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And last night was another night of freedom and the re-opened Nobelhart and Schmutzig https://www.nobelhartundschmutzig.com/en/restaurant/.

This one star restaurant is owned by sommelier Billy Wagner and chef Micha Schäfer. Billy is a friendly, confident and engaging character who learnt his trade at Rutz, a now 3 star restaurant in Berlin. Micha came from a 2 star place in Frankfurt and follows the modern Nordic approach to cooking. Together they opened this forward thinking restaurant which takes a simplistic approach to local produce. And boy do they stick to local....brutally so; everything is from the Berlin/Brandenburg area so you won’t find any pepper or lemons for example. The wine list doesn’t follow this philosophy, we will come onto this later.

The only option is a 10 course fixed tasting menu which we, [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] and our better halves, perused with a bottle of champagne. One never needs an excuse to drink champagne but if you can’t celebrate freedom what can you celebrate? We then worked our way through the menu. As mentioned the food is simple, beautifully so, and typically centred around 3 flavours. Highlights were a rye cracker with curd and local herbs piled on top, whole raw kohlrabi with the edible end dipped in fried breadcrumb and coriander oil, and a spätzle dish with crispy fried onion. After the champagne we split and went our different ways on the wine list. Buck likes his Burgundy so he went that way, Frau Tubthumper went for a few carefully chosen glasses and I went for the wine pairing and knowing little about subject left the decisions to Billy. Hmmm. Mine was a very mixed bag which included a couple of rather good rieslings, a fresh fizzy Italian rose, aged wheat beer and a rhubarb wine..the word natural was mentioned at least once. Interesting is the word I’d use; it didn’t disappoint but it wasn’t quite what I was expecting. I also had a glass of Buck’s red at the end; needs must.

So, how did the pandemic affect the evening. Not much to be fair. I have been before and restaurant is a reasonably big oblong room with a big, open, spacious and very calm kitchen against the longer side; customers all sit around a bar surrounding the kitchen. There is a large single table off to one side; this table is usually reserved for large groups. Due to social distancing the bar only had couples with a good distance between them and the large table was split up into smaller tables to accommodate groups; our group of 4 took a table. The staff all wore face coverings but these were simple and stylish and you kind of forgot about them after a while; it’s the new norm. Another way the pandemic impacted is the restaurant makes its own butter in fortnightly cycles, which it ages. They’d made some before the lockdown which had been aged for an extra 6 or 7 weeks or so. The beef was also purchased before the lock down and this had been aged for extra time as well. But visually, apart from the equally spaced, and fewer, customers and the face coverings you wouldn’t notice a difference. All in all it was a lovely evening.

Oh, they have a record player in the kitchen and the chefs play vinyl whilst they work; Kraftwerk’s Computer World had a run through...that was a nice touch.

One other thing I was reminded of last night is the progressive pricing of the restaurant. The 10 course fixed menu is cheaper in the week and gets more expensive as the week progresses; Friday and Saturday are the most expensive. This caused a stir when it was introduced as the Friday and Saturday prices went up but Tuesday went down. I understand Billy called this right as his restaurant got the desired bookings on Tuesday without affecting his weekend covers.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Now is the time to invest in Perspex!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We finally got round to this the other day. Really really good and easily up there with Curry Leaf, if not better. Excellent lamb and potato stew and the mung bean effort is really good too. Portions plentiful. We over ordered and I thought we had under ordered, luckily i love a leftovers lunch so happy days. Highly recommended.

Brilliant - thanks for that. Next time they do a Worthing drop off I’ll give them a go

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here