Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone been to Honest Burgers ?

Thinking of going in a few weeks time

Fate's fickle finger pointed in such a way that I had an Honest Burger yesterday and a Troll's today, so internal comparisons are inevitable.

I won't bang on about it except to say that the Troll is remains the absolute king of burgers in Brighton, and being able to eat one in the warmth and comfort of the Evening Star is just wonderful.

Honest is fine, but it's both pricier and less tasty than the Troll.

Put it this way, if I was on Duke's Street and I had a sudden urge for more burger I'd walk towards the station.

Jul 7, 2003
With the continuing problems down on West Beach, hope [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] is still able to open

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm off to Flint House for the first time tonight. Any input/recommendations welcomed (although Jay Rayner has already provided some useful feedback).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm off to Flint House for the first time tonight. Any input/recommendations welcomed (although Jay Rayner has already provided some useful feedback).

The only advice I have is don’t go at 3pm...as I did last weekend. The kitchen is closed.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
With the continuing problems down on West Beach, hope [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] is still able to open

That's very thoughtful of you, thank you. We had to shut on Tuesday last week, but it's not a busy day generally at this time of year so we took it as a bonus day off. Other than that we were fully booked for Valentines and we're fully booked for lunch today, so it's not impacting us too much.

We've recently taken over the catering at Littlehampton golf club (on the same side of the river) and that has been a total wash-out. The clubhouse itself has been inaccessible, let alone going out on the greens. There's another spring tide in a couple of weeks time, so fingers crossed it won't be as bad.

I've never seen the Arun so high though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Think the menu changes fairly regularly and we went a few months ago. Was good though!

Only recent outings for me have been Yamu Yamu in Worthing. It’s a bit hipster / young team but really enjoyed a good Japanese place in Worthing at last. Small plates but 5 between 2 people was spot on. Service could be a bit better ‘what white wine is best for someone that likes crisp, dry whites?’ ‘I don’t know I don’t drink wine sorry’. And had to remind them for a drink I ordered a couple of times.

Worth checking out, the Katsu is decent too !

Also BEX on the A27 coming into Worthing from the west, old little chef site. Not sure why I hadn’t been here before but nice modern cafe / restaurant. Went for a Sunday lunch and the pork was bang on, good value and loads of veg. I think they use jacket potatoes for roast potatoes which could have been a bit better but other than that spot on

Jul 7, 2003
That's very thoughtful of you, thank you. We had to shut on Tuesday last week, but it's not a busy day generally at this time of year so we took it as a bonus day off. Other than that we were fully booked for Valentines and we're fully booked for lunch today, so it's not impacting us too much.

We've recently taken over the catering at Littlehampton golf club (on the same side of the river) and that has been a total wash-out. The clubhouse itself has been inaccessible, let alone going out on the greens. There's another spring tide in a couple of weeks time, so fingers crossed it won't be as bad.

I've never seen the Arun so high though.

Good to hear - can we get to you by road or do we have to walk across the bridge from the Arun View? Will be coming down next month as it is my daughter's 15th birthday and she has insisted she wants to visit for your tapas.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Trolls in the Evening Star on Friday where I had his Ox heart chilli on chips which was absolutely bang on washed down with a Hophead.

Then last night Maroccos which is always excellent if, like me, you are a fan in equal measure of fish / Italian / huge portions.

I couldn't finish my dessert I was that ****ing stuffed.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My culinary weekend consisted of...

1) Dusted down the pasta machine on Friday night and made spaghetti bolognese. Had a Punk IPA and 5 AM Saint whilst cooking and opened a Pinot Noir for the meal. Happy wife, happy life.

2) Went for an 8 mile run and then brunch with a friend. Warm mackerel with scorched sprouts, a redcurrent based sauce, a few leaves and a bacon crumb. It didn’t completely gel as a dish, it was the bacon which seemed an ingredient too far. The place is primarily a fancy coffee roaster and I had a couple of “batch brew” coffees with beans from China.....hints of yuzu, watermelon ....apparently. It had a pleasant but subtle citrus edge; my taste buds cannot go deeper to pick out specifics.

3) Saturday night went to a place called Urgeheuer in Neukolln. My first time but it’s been open for 10 years and has been many things starting life as a basic cafe to a bar to a slightly more upmarket restaurant to a bar again and then onto its current guise as a fine-dining restaurant. It seems to have followed the same trajectory as the gentrification of this neighbourhood. It’s has a nod to French/Italian, a 6 course set tasting menu, with a focus on shellfish. We all had the wine-pairing. Highlights were oysters and a mussel based dish. Oysters were with yuzu (twice in one day) and seaweed. So nice I ordered 2 more. This was washed down with a fizzy french wine. The mussels were on a bed of puréed beans and pepper with pickled cucumber. I then went and met some mates in a smoky pub for 3 pints of Rothaus and a morning headache.

Alles gut.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My thing with Trolls is he has, purely in my opinion, too many toppings. There’s too much going on for me; purely an objective opinion as others clearly love his stuff for this very same reason. My question is, to those who know him, is he receptive to asking for things to be removed? I will totally understand if he isn’t, but thought I’d ask upfront to avoid any awkwardness on the day. Anyone know?

Jul 7, 2003
Trolls in the Evening Star on Friday where I had his Ox heart chilli on chips which was absolutely bang on washed down with a Hophead.

My thing with Trolls is he has, purely in my opinion, too many toppings. There’s too much going on for me; purely an objective opinion as others clearly love his stuff for this very same reason. My question is, to those who know him, is he receptive to asking for things to be removed? I will totally understand if he isn’t, but thought I’d ask upfront to avoid any awkwardness on the day. Anyone know?

The Chilli and chips was a valentines special he was doing outside of his normal burger.

As for getting things removed, he is more than happy. I can't have cheese so that is an instant removal job for me and he has never questioned it. He tries to get balanced flavours but I know what you mean that sometimes less is more. It's always worth trying his sauce pots though - he has some weird ideas for sauces that really work well.

He is has also started bringing back some of the confit duck burgers. I've had a few of these and they are really great.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Chilli and chips was a valentines special he was doing outside of his normal burger.

As for getting things removed, he is more than happy. I can't have cheese so that is an instant removal job for me and he has never questioned it. He tries to get balanced flavours but I know what you mean that sometimes less is more. It's always worth trying his sauce pots though - he has some weird ideas for sauces that really work well.

He is has also started bringing back some of the confit duck burgers. I've had a few of these and they are really great.

This is good to know. Thanks.

And I love confit duck, the brunch cafe I mentioned in my earlier post used to do confit duck in a Japanese milk bun with a bit of chilli and some mayo and spring onion...loved this and had it about 10 weekends on the trot during the summer.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Good to hear - can we get to you by road or do we have to walk across the bridge from the Arun View? Will be coming down next month as it is my daughter's 15th birthday and she has insisted she wants to visit for your tapas.

All being well the road should be back to normal for your daughter's big day, nice of her to think of us. Just to let you know, we are booked up on the 20th of March but the rest of the month should be absolutely fine, be nice to see you again

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
A very decent sounding sandwich shop that might be well worth a visit when normality returns...

https://foodieeshe.com/social-board-brighton-review/

Anyone been to Social Board yet?

They were quite often listed on Wriggle, so I've been tempted a few times. I'll definitely give them a go once things go back to normal.

On a St James street theme; I popped into La Mucca Nera last month for a slice of pizza and a cannoli. Both were delicious! I'l be going back in the summer (hopefully) to try their homemade gelato.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone tried Kitgum Kitchens cook at home efforts?

They've agreed to do a mass order / delivery to the Brookstead in Worthing this weekend and fancy trying it, but also nervous of 'take away cook at home' thing. Will it be as good?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“ “we should accept that fish and meat need to be priced higher across the board if those behind the scenes stand a chance of being paid a decent wage.”

Decent article. I know no one wants to hear it but restaurant food is too cheap, prices driven down by those who value money and have no love for food.

This has a knock on effect of leaving even popular small independents struggling just to survive, poor wages and a lack of attention to things like animal welfare or sustainability.

As the author says at the end, the worst thing that can happen after all this is over is things return to exactly the same as they was before.”

From TrollsBurger

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Crikey. I have just made a reservation for a restaurant next Saturday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Crikey. I have just made a reservation for a restaurant next Saturday.

******* (in the nicest possible way).

Our weekly takeaway is all we have to look forward to at present, Chinese this week.

No reviews please, simply not fair

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here